1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tennessee Temple University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Logos1560, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to a newsletter from TTU, they are
    renewing their accredition with the TRACS (Trans-national Accredition of Christian Schools) and
    are starting the process for regional accredition through SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools).

Do someone mention that Dr. Danny Lovett, the new president of TTU, that held a position at
    Liberty Univeristy?

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

The new pres at TTU was dean of Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary of LU.

Bill

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Does anyone know why Lovett left LU to go to Temple?

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no scandle here. From what I have heard he is leaving on good terms. He wrote a letter that was published in the National Liberty Journal a few weeks ago explaining his reasoning, I did not save the issue. However he is leaving on good terms. I imagine being president of a school was a much better job than being dean of a seminary (under a president).

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Does anyone know how strict TTU is?

Do the young ladies have to wear dresses, men ties, etc.

I didn't know TTU fell into the LU orbit, but from the web site it looks like they are moving in the right direction.

TTU isn't KJVO, is it?

6. Benaiah

Benaiah New Member

What is the LU orbit?? They are KJV in name only. [attack snipped]

[ April 29, 2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

7. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

TTU was very strict during in year 1950's thru 1980's. Then, During 1990's to present, the rules at TTU have changing some, and little bit lighter, and it is not "legalism".

One missionary came to deaf christian volleyball tournment at TTU about 4 years ago. He told them during the devotion time, he was a student at TTU during 1950's. He said, "I love legalism!" At the same time, Deaf Pastor Terry Buchholz said, "Amen."

Also, Liberty University was very strict during 1970's. Later, it became liberal.

Many bible colleges in America are changing today. More colleges are liberal than legal, and less standards.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I played soccer against TTU in the 70s - their reputation as a very conservative school, very strict rules on dating (requiring chaperones, no holding hands etc) seemed to be alot hot air based on the actions of the players (dirty play, much cussing) and the hostile fans

9. Loren B

Loren B New Member

TTU has undergone numerous changes over the years. My daughter is about to graduate from TTU and I attended back in 1974. At that time there were numerous problems with the sports program. Buiolding the program became more important than their christian testimony. It led to the serious decline of the school.
    I am not surprised to hear of the dirty play and cussing from that period.
    The school has come full circle from that position. Their athletics are very positively oriented now.
    The school did have some very conservative standards but there was never what has been incorrectly defined as "legalism". Those standards have loosened considerably.

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

That is good to hear

11. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Did i hear right??? Liberty has gone "liberal"? I hate to see what your definition of "conservative" is if Liberty has gone "liberal".

12. Benaiah

Benaiah New Member

TTU is on the way to liberalism and it started in the classroom.

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Praise the Lord!

It can't happen soon enough!

The idea that LU and TTU are liberal makes me laugh. But if that's what they are, then the angels in heaven are rejoicing.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Benaiah - we do not appreciate hurling false accusations. Words like "liberal" MEAN something and you sound like you haven't a clue.

I notice you've just begun to post. Read and think carefully before spewing. I will not put up with attacks on schools with which you disagree.

15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==KJV-only is not a conservative Biblical doctrine or principle. Rather it is a teaching of man. KVJ-onlism makes the same mistake the ancient Roman Church made with its rule that the Bible must be in Latin only. I believe in Biblical truth and not "old time religion". I don't want "old time religion", I want Christ.

Liberty is not, in any way, liberal.

In Christ,
    Martin.

16. whatever

whatever New Member

Yeah, and having those well-known liberals Fernando Ortega, Sara Groves and Bebo Norman in concert last week didn't help, either. Thankfully several godly Christians were there to protest. If the KJV and that old-time gospel music were good enough for Jesus then they are good enough for me.

17. Orvie

Orvie New Member

Jesus read the 1611? [​IMG] Jesus didn't use a PC, but I see it doesn't stop thee.

18. Benaiah

Benaiah New Member

To Dr. Bob

Why is saying you think a school's position is turning liberal an attack. What is this? The politically correct Baptist board? It seems like the only time someone is rebuked for saying anything on this board is when someone says the King James Bible is the true Word of God. AND by the way Bob, I work a block away from TTU so I think I more of a "clue" than you!

19. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Benaiah,

Why? Because neither TTU nor Liberty are liberal. Liberal would describe Union Theological Seminary or perhaps Asbury Theological Seminary.

TTU and Liberty may not be arch-conservative - but they definitely are not theologically liberal. That's just a fact.

And you are clearly using liberal as a pejorative term.

20. Benaiah

Benaiah New Member

For those of you that do not know the correct meaning of the word.

From the Webster's 1828 Dictionary

Liberal: Free; not literal or strict

When I say that TTU is going liberal... yes it is true they are falling away (Nice Term) from the strict standards that were once in place there.