1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tent revival's...have you been to one?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Willow 2, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Willow 2

Willow 2 New Member

I have only been to one & i really enjoyed it, I
    just was wandering if you have been to very many?

And do you see very many around where you live,
    Cause i have not heard of any around where i'am
    from. I have been to the one, & i only seen one
    other one around here...

So why don't people have tent revival's anymore?

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I went to one that was passing through town several years ago. It was fun. Tent revivals became popular when there were traveling preachers that would draw such a crowd that the small country churches could not hold all the people.

There just isn't a need for tent revivals anymore. People have to have their air-conditioned, padded pews ya know! [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Sue

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Went once, would never go back.

4. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

You mean like in the movies? No, I've never been to one. But my grandpa was a circuit preacher when he was younger. That's how my grandma met him. :D

5. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

I've been to several. Brother Phil Kidd travels with his tent for 6 months out of the year. Also Brother Sammy Allen has preached in a few I've been to one of his. I don't know about any of Brother Allens recently. Brother John Morgan is having a tent revival on Hwy 441 in Bostwick, Ga. that began 4/20/2003, and is supposed to go thru to 5/1/2003. Bostwick is north of Madison, and just south of Watkinsville, which is just outside of Athens. If you ever want to hear a preacher excited about his being saved, Brother Morgan is a must! The Gainesville City Baptist Rescue Mission will be having a tent revival soon, I believ the first of June. Brother Pullen is the head of the mission there, he spend every night of the week in the mission, his wife does all the cooking for the men. [​IMG]

I love the tent atmosphere, the sawdust, the chairs, the P.A. system, the lights, the outdoor air; much like the old "brush arbor" meetings as well, I've only been to one of those, but most of all the Spirit of God. [​IMG]

Brother Kidd probably has the most "extravagant" tent, or the largest going today, that I know of.

Dr.Oliver B. Greene was well known for his tent revivals, I'm sure there are more.

The key to any tent revival having success of course is the Holy Spirit drawing people in, but the locale on the side of a main thoroughfare helps as passersby chance to come in for the preaching, hear the good singing, or just to see the action.

In Christ,

Brother Ricky

6. atestring

atestring New Member

It has been a long time since I have been to a tent meeting.
    They are a great atmosphere spiritually but the misquitoes can be annoying.

7. Dan Stiles

Dan Stiles New Member

Been to many, preached a few. We used to hold one every year out at Fizzleville - whether we had a tent for it or not! We'd set up in a brother's field (one not being used for tobacco base) and bring in the folding chairs form the church. The local 4-H joined in with some things for the kids in the afternoon and it was an all day event.

The SDA's held one every year near my Aunt and Uncle's place. That one seemed like it was always in direct competition with the Nazarene's meeting in the same town.

But Kate and Willow, if you live in Kentucky and 1) haven't seen one in awhile, or 2) never went to one where you felt truly uplifted, then come up my way in August - I've got Mike Murrel preaching.

8. Missionary Mom

Missionary Mom New Member

We went to one every year when I was growing up, it was our vacation and us kids loved it. I would go again if I had the opportunity!