1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Test of Fundamentalism

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by DocCas, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who do not know of G. Archer and Arno Q. Weniger, they were second generation leaders of Fundemental Baptist. The Weniger brothers began their ministies in the late 1930s. Arno Q. pastored Hamilton Square Baptist Church of San Francisco, California from 1941 to 1976. G. Archer pastored Foothill Baptist of Castro Valley, California from the mid-1950s into the early 1980s. (Dr. C can correct my dates on Brother Archer if I'm off.) I'll let Brothers Cassidy and Griffin fill in more of the blanks on these two influential brothers.

Hoping to shed more light than heat,
    Keith

2. DocCas

DocCas New Member

The Weniger's publication "The Blueprint" was one of the most vociferous papers exposing the errors of Modernism. I heard Arno Q. preach one of his last messages some years ago at a Fundamental Baptist Fellowship meeting in Denver. Although a very old man, the fire was still there! [​IMG]

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

To Swaimj,

I don't think the issue over the Bible is over. After all, look at the discussions going on in some of these very forums about the authority of Scripture and the supernatural nature both of revelation and of the events contained in revelation. I think that battle is far from over. I think many are simply losing their heart to fight over it and to stand for it. In the SBC, these rampant tendencies by some to question, redefine, and outright repudiate Scriptural teaching under the name of scholarship and modern cultural norms would have long ago been driven out in the first 30 years of this century. Now it is tolerated.

As to the issue of the church, my point is not so much polity but nature and purpose. Many people, early in this century, began to view the church as a social organ, an instrument of social change, rather than an instrument of spiritual change. Thus the church became, in some cases, nothing more than a glorifed soup kitchen, codependency seminar house, etc. I think the church is far different than that. You do not see the church in the NT standing up against social evils and the "isms" of the day. They stood and preached an unpopular gospel with an unpopular message to repent at the cost of your life. They stood firm on doctrine and denounced those who differed. Today we tolerate those who differ in the Rodney King motto, "Can't we all just get along?"

4. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Pastor Larry:
    Sorry, I was on the wrong topic.
    James2

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: JAMES2 ]

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pastor Larry wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In the SBC, these rampant tendencies by some to question, redefine, and outright repudiate Scriptural teaching under the name of scholarship and modern cultural norms would have long ago been driven out in the first 30 years of this century. Now it is tolerated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not tolerated in SB institutions or churches. The CBF, Alliance of Baptists, and other splinter groups are another story however.

6. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    [/QB]You do not see the church in the NT standing up against social evils and the "isms" of the day. They stood and preached an unpopular gospel with an unpopular message to repent at the cost of your life.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I take it you won't be filing an application for Faith Based Initiatives $$ any time soon? ;)

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    The Weniger's publication "The Blueprint" was one of the most vociferous papers exposing the errors of Modernism. I heard Arno Q. preach one of his last messages some years ago at a Fundamental Baptist Fellowship meeting in Denver. Although a very old man, the fire was still there! [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The late Pastor Don Camp did not refer to Arno Q. as "Vineger" Wineger for nothing. G. Archer was the Research Secretary for the Fundemental Baptist Fellowship.

Both men typified the Historic Northern Baptist movement.

8. DocCas

DocCas New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Squire:
    The late Pastor Don Camp did not refer to Arno Q. as "Vineger" Wineger for nothing. G. Archer was the Research Secretary for the Fundemental Baptist Fellowship.

Both men typified the Historic Northern Baptist movement.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They sure did! And Don "Old Leather Lungs" Camp was preaching at 1st Baptist in Rockford, Illinois, when God led me to go to Central Seminary. At the time he was pastoring Grace Baptist Church in Anderson, Indiana. One of the greatest preachers I have ever heard! [​IMG]

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAMES2:
    By the way, have you read Charles C Ryrie's book on Dispensationalism and J Dwight Pentecost's book Things to Come? I'm trying to get some good books on the subject so I can be more informed. I really feel this approach is the right one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, both good. Also recommend Renald Showers, There Really Is A Difference, probably better than both. Now back to the topic.

Wasn't a Winegar the president at MBBC?

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    Wasn't a Winegar the president at MBBC?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Arno Q. (Bud) Winegar Jr was president of MBBC. Son and nephew of the men under discussion.

11. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

What did the "Q" stand for? And what is Weniger, Jr. doing now?