1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

test your KJV & other Version Knowledge

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I saw this on the IFB Reformer page and thought everybody might enjoy taking the quiz.

Test Your Knowledge of the King James Version
    and other translations: A Brief Survey
    by Rick Norris

True or False
    1._____The King James Version became the official version of the Church of England, replacing the Bishops' Bible.
    2. _____The KJV was the first English Bible to be published without the Apocrypha.
    3. _____There were two different editions of the KJV published in 1611.
    4. _____Some of the translators of the KJV were involved in persecuting other believers, even to the point of burning two men at the stake for their religious beliefs.
    5._____Some of the KJV translators claimed that one man, Archbishop Richard Bancroft, made fourteen changes in their translation without their approval.
    6. _____Some of the translators of the KJV were Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and Independents while the rest were Anglicans.
    7. _____One of the KJV translators had a brother that was one of the translators of the earlier Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible.
    8. _____The publishing of English-language Bibles including the KJV was permitted in America before the Revolutionary War.
    9. _____ The KJV did not update or revise any of the words in the earlier English Bibles.
    10._____Tyndale's Old Testament used the rendering "Jehovah" at least fifteen times where the KJV does not.
    11. _____ The 1611 KJV has "seek good" at Psalm 69:32 while present KJV's have "seek God."
    12. _____ In the book of Acts, the Great Bible has over 100 words that are not found in the KJV.
    13. _____ The 1535 Coverdale's Bible does not have the rendering "penance," which was sometimes used in the earlier 1389 Wycliffe's Bible from the Latin Vulgate.
    14. _____ The KJV N.T. was the seventh English translation of the New Testament.
    15. _____ Erasmus was a Reformer like Martin Luther.
    16. _____ Charles Thomson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and secretary of the Continental Congress, made the first English translation from the Septuagint and the first complete English translation by an American.
    17. _____ The KJV updated some archaic uses of "quick" with "living" at some verses in the earlier English Bibles.
    18. _____ The earlier English Bibles such as Tyndale's, Coverdale's, and Matthew's do not have any missing verses and phrases when compared to the KJV.
    19. _____ Erasmus admired Jerome, translator of the Vulgate.
    20. _____ King James was a great, godly king, who loved the Puritans.

Multiple Choice
    21. The King James Version was the _____ authorized version of the Church of England.
    A. First
    B. Second
    C. Third
    D. Fourth
    22. The most popular and best loved English Bible of the common people in the early 1600's in England was the ________.
    A. Bishops' Bible
    B. Geneva Bible
    C. KJV
    D. Great Bible
    23. In terms of human influence, the majority of renderings or translations in the KJV should be credited to ______.
    A. L. Andrewes
    B. Luther
    C. G. Abbott
    D. Tyndale
    24. Erasmus, editor of the Greek N. T. was a/an _____.

A. Anglican
    B. Roman Catholic
    C. Presbyterian
    25. The first English translation to have only "Lord Jesus" at Acts 16:31 instead of "Lord Jesus Christ" as in the KJV was _____.

A. ASV
    B. Tyndale's
    C. Revised Version
    D. RSV

2. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

1. True

2. False 1599 Geneva Bible.

3. True

4. That depends on what you mean by "believers." Both Wightman and Legate were Arian Unitarians, but there probably were true believers who were persecuted.

5. True, they may have claimed that, but the dates don't add up. Bancroft died in 1610 before the final revision was complete.

6. False All confessional Anglicans

7. True The Reynolds brothers

8. False All bibles in the new world were under the crown patent until after the Revolution.

9. False The KJV is essentially a revision of the Tyndale bible.

10. True

11. True they corrected a typo.

12. True the Great Bible tends to have more readings from the Latin Vulgate.

13. False

14. False Ormulum, Richard Rolle's bible, Wycliffe, Tyndale, Thomas Matthew's bible, Coverdale, Great Bible, Geneva bible, Rheims bible.

15. Both true and false. He was a reformer but not like Luther. He tried to work within the RCC until such time as he was branded "a heretic from Rome" and spent the rest of his life with his Protestant friends and was buried in the Protestant cemetery in Basel.

16. True

17. True

18. False

19. True

20. True and False he was a great and godly man but he had little use for the Puritans, legalistic hate mongers who, he thought, threatened his Kingdom.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I must say---impressive!

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couple of observations:

"good = God" is a typo? Seems like a stretch. Like the "he" v "she" fiasco. Different things, not a typo.

Which edition did the KJV finally drop the apochrypha?

Thanks, Hank, for giving the link.

6. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Yes. "Good" just has an extra "o."
    Yeah. One letter probably is a stretch for some people.
    Yes, exactly the same. One letter difference.
    Obviously both are typos. One letter difference in each case.
    Yes. I especially liked the wrong answers. [​IMG]

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? You believe that the "he"/"she" bible fiasco was a typo?

And changing God (capitalized) to good (no upper case and extra letter) is more than "just a letter". It could be a typo; it IS an error, right?

That is denial, methinks.

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Dr. Bob or Skanwmatos: I remember the "he", "she" Bible issue, but can you remind us what the verse was and maybe a little info on the actual time this happened?

I know this if off the subject a little bit, but I won't tell the moderator if you guys won't, okay? :D

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw you post this before and didn't get a chance to answer fully. I don't know about Legate but Wightman's family's testimony refutes the charges leveled against him. They claimed that he was killed for refusing to stop preaching against infant baptism and prelacy.

If I am not mistaken some of his progeny emigrated to America and started Baptist churches.

I looked at the official charges against him awhile back. Some of the charges appeared to contradict one another. I would have to look all of that up again to list which ones. If you have immediate access to the charges, perhaps you could list them?

10. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Yes. When you leave the "s" off of "she" you are left with "he." Leaving a letter off is called, today, a typo. In that day was called a printer's error.
    Yes, Bob, a typo is an error. That is what "typo" means.
    I have wondered about your being in denial for quite some time, so I am glad you are finally entertaining the possibility. Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward healing.

11. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

The first edition, first printing of the edition of 1611 had "he" instead of "she" in Ruth 3:15. The first edition, second printing of 1611 corrected the typo to read "she."

12. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

The warrant signed by James I contained the following charges:
    I can only agree with him on #s 13, 14, 16.
    That may well be, but that does not make him sound in the faith. Madalyn Murray O'Hair's son is an evangelist but that doesn't make her a believer.
    No sooner said than done. [​IMG]

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's pretty much what I had seen. But the one I was referring to lists a whole bunch of "isms" and "ites"... ie. arianism, ebionites.

14. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

The only thing I have seen making claims of Arianism (by name, #1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 outline Arianism but don't call it that) or being charged with being an Ebionite is an article by Bob Ross of Texas who was attacking Peter Ruckman's defense of the KJV. Ross is the mirror image of Ruckman so I take what both of them write with a grain of salt. [​IMG]