1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texas and LSU

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Nov 25, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I do not see how anyone could argue after today's performances that USC and Texas are not clearly the 2 best teams in the nation and deserve to battle for the national title.

I think it is going to be a great game and either team could win!

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen enough to go ahead and make my Rose Bowl prediction:

Southern California - 52
    Texas - 24

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not making any prediction of score for 2 or 3 weeks, but 52 - 24 USC is nonsensical. The only team that has held Texas under 40 points all years is Ohio St, which after the 1st quarter solved V.Young with their linebackers; the best group of LB's in the country. Then it took Texas too long to see how they were being given flats and curls outside, which is how they came back to win. USC does not have the defense, especially the quick LB's OSU did, so their zone read option and squareouts are not going to be stifled. And the Texas defense basically mirrors the offense, in that a quick-footed QB give them trouble, but dropback passing does not, and Leinart is definitely the dropback type only. So that should leave just a few big pass plays and R.Bush getting loose a few times. USC might score 4 TD's, maybe even more; but I don't see any reason to see they will keep Texas to less than that.

Everything said in football analysis, of course, could always prove moot, especially in bowl games. Between now and Jan. 4 there will be awards and banquets, and families stuffing their big star players with turkey, dressing, and pies. It's impossible to know which team that may affect more. But in a game like this one, it always takes the 1st quarter, often the 1st half, to readjust to actually being in a game at full speed again, and not celebrating or just talking it.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watch and see on January 4, Alcott, watch and see. [​IMG]

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I do watch, I ought to see. That does not changed the illogic of your prediction.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I end up being correct will you still call my prediction "illogical"? :D

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. What you are doing is hoping an illogical prediction happens as you wish. Occasionally they do. But they're still not logical.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

From watching a few Texas games on TV, it looks like teams can run to the out side on them. OSU did for most of the game. What does USC do, run to the out side. Do they have the speed at LB and DB to stop the out side runs and passes?
    What is Texas' speed like?
    I'll be pulling for Texas just because I believe they will be an underdog.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. Having watched quite a bit of both teams, I think my prediction will be in the ballpark. Just because I don't agree with your analysis doesn't make my prediction illogical. ;)

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I predict just about the opposite of Ken.

I believe Texas is overall faster, stronger, and plays much better defense. USC hasn't really stiffled any offense this year and hasn't seen anything like the talent they will face from Young and company.

Their defense and especially the secondary won't have an answer for the pressure the UT system will place on them. Watch for UT's tailback #25 (I forget the name) to have a break out game and for Young to have a "Heisman" performance.

Texas is probably the only team USC has faced that can simultaneously defend Bush and Leinart.

I am not completely unbiased... I hate Texas just a little less than USC. Its even worse that both have made it to the Championship game having played only one real opponent... that's only if you count ND for USC and ignore the fact that Texas statistically dominated Ohio State.