1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texas is BCS #1

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by chuck2336, Oct 20, 2008.

1. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

2. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

So are there some doubters who still think Texas is undeserving of the #1 spot. They destroyed Missouri. They will light up OSU and Tech. They stand a good chance of winning out if they continue playing both sides of the ball like they have been.

McCoy will get two big trophies this year....

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Not me. Bama fan here but Texas proved they deserve to be in top at the moment.

Would love for Bama to get a shot at them though in the NC game.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

There are?

From ESPN.com:

I mean, if you want to play the "We Don't Get No Respect" card, then play it, but don't be surprised when some idiot like me rolls their eyes at the supposed lack of respect.

6. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

That was a question, I am certain that there are no doubters who will actually admit there is a better team out there.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I haven't seen one.

I was a bit surprised that AL wasn't passed by Penn State. If PSU can get past Ohio State, their road to undefeated isn't that hard.

Alabama's is much harder. I don't see 'em getting there. Hope springs eternal, but...

Texas just looks scary.

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Watch out for those OK State cowboys - I have watched them a couple times this year - they are very very fast and a good strong team. That is going to be a great game this week

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Texas almost always has trouble with OSU, but finds a way to win. Cale Gundy seems to be one of the best at 'scripting' his teams' opening moments and opening drive. But as a result they play at a pace they cannot keep up for an entire game. This has proved more true against Texas than any other perennial opponent. But if Texas does get behind, I think their part will also follow the pattern of recent years; that is, when they finally make the big play, the corner is turned, and they are going to romp the rest of the game.

But if OSU does manage to win, then they are an undefeated team that will have knocked off the #1 team, where will they be ranked? Almost surely not given the same 'favor' Texas was for doing the same thing against OU; and not ahead of Alabama or Penn St. if either or both remain undefeated. Maybe not even ahead of OU, who lost to the team OSU beat-- history and tradition does play too big a role in rankings. Then how about the game they call "bedlam" this year?

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

The BCS has played with fire for a long time. At some point, the "perfect storm" will come along: 4-5 undefeated teams, or (more likely) 4-5 one-loss teams. Someone will get shafted...and you know what? The powers that be and the BCS won't care one bit.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, 4 teams with the same 0-loss or 1-loss at the top might be a help toward seeing the need for a final four. Last year was so mixed up with 2 1-loss teams and 5 2-loss teams (and Hawaii undefeated but out of the NC question, which Georgia seemed to affirm), that it seemed too scrambled to make sense anyway. But yes, 4 with the same #losses and each with a 'case' is what I would like to see.

But even though it's not likely, Texas, Alabama, and Penn St. all finishing undefeated would still be a good shaking-- better than 2004, when USC, Oklahoma, and Auburn all finished unbeaten, with Auburn the 'bumped' team from the NC game. Texas will keep #1 as long they win out; but either Alabama or Penn St. being bumped would be a firestorm by their large rabid followings. I can imagine Alabama winning out with their margin of victory less than a touchdown on the average, saying because they are in the SEC that entitles them; answered by Penn St. saying their margin of victory was around 19 points in the Big Ten..."and the SEC dominates the Big Ten in bowls"... "but Penn St. has a winning record against the SEC" ... "Alabama beat you twice for the national championship" ... "So what? those were 3 decades ago with your best coach ever" ... "Ain't you still got your same 'best coach ever' that we beat?" ..............

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

My goodness...I can't believe you're insinuating things could get ugly. Of course Bama and PS fans could have a rational discussion...

(must....keep....a....straight....face...... :laugh: )

If PSU is in the mix, it works out well. The committee can ask Joe Paterno how this kind of thing was handled in Roman times, in the dark ages, during the Revolutionary war...he can offer som historical perspective.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

As a long time Bama fan I have to say I would love a Bama/PSU NC game.

Still A LOT of football between now and then. We coould very likey have no undefeated teams by seasons end and see OSU and USC in the championship :(

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

as I said...I think the likely scenario is a whole bunch of one-loss teams.

The original Greek word for this is "mess."

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My bad, I posted before I looked back to page one - sorry :eek: