1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texas State Convention sends out Anti-Calvinism material to church's

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.R.Maddox, Apr 11, 2006.

1. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

The Southern Baptist of Texas Convention mailed out a package of "Helpful" materials to her church's from the evangelism division. There was a CD by Roy Fish on Universalism...and then there was, and this is what I found interesting, a CD by Dr. Patterson against predestination and a printed sermon by Dr. Fish that simply blasts Calvinism! WOW! The SBTC is a wonderful conservative convention that I am glad to be a part of...but I wonder why this is necessary. One of the requirements to be a member church is doctrinal agreement with the BFM 2000...I certainly hope we are not beginning to strain at nats...

J

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We should not be surprised at this development. Those who control the denominational machinery, whether state or national, will use it to attack the Doctrines of Grace. Whenever there is any kind of treatment of Calvinism, it is usuaslly written by a non-Calvinist. Example, an article in SBC Life written by Malcolm Yarnell, Professor at Southwestern Seminary.

3. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

I certainly would say that this was, if not an attack at least a push! I am still thinking about my response. I am what one would call a 'moderate Calvinist' I believe in the line of a Spurgeon...and I have some grave concerns about the "Anti Calvinism" that is brewing up in our convention....yet I am equally concerned about Calvinistic arrogance and the 'us against them' attitude held by many reformed brethren.

Actually, Paige's treatment of pre destination was very fair...very anti...but fair.

Dr. Fish's message was a good treatise on hyper Calvinism, yet it lumped all Calvinist pretty much in the same barrel

J

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey this time is it Calvinism, next time maybe it will be end times theology, get used to it. This is the SBC so many (not really) wanted. Your bed so you have to sleep in it. As long as you are going to try and lord over what people believe, like the current SBC leadership attempts, you are going to have division and as you put it gant straining.

5. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

Well go2church, we all can't have it together like the BGCT! Really, I do not want this thread to become a rehash of the resurgence...there are many in the resurgence that are Calvinist, and many who are not. I would much rather sleep in this bed than the one I got out of!

J

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would hope the SBC continues to send out information against false doctrine.

7. Dustin

Dustin New Member

They had better watch out! If John Calvin was around they'd get burned at the stake!

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dustin , you are perpetuating myths . Do you have an interest in truth ?

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you find agreement and comfort with the direction and restrictive policies of the "new" SBC, I for one am glad you got out!

10. RandR

RandR New Member

Sadly, this is a part of a larger attempt to marginalize biblical soteriology within the SBC. Comments made from the pulpit almost annually at the Jax pastor's school, comments being made at the SBC pastor's conference with increasing frequency, Welch's distribuition of Lemke's paper, Jack Graham's attempt at preaching the "Truth About Grace" last summer. I hate conspiracy theories, but there are just too many of these instances to be completely coincidental.

My favorite moment at last year's SBC Pastor's Conference was when Falwell, who's been SBC for about 8 years commenced to telling the entire convention what "Southern Baptists Believe" on a myriad of issues. On his list were universal atonement and pre-trib dispensationalism. So if anybody thinks they won't try to start weeding out the a-mils and post-tribbers next...think again.

11. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

Hey go2church, put your sword down for a moment and tell me where in S Texas are you. I am from SOuth Texas

J

12. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I was just a jokin' Rippon!

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

RBell <-----NEVER jokes in a cal/arm debate.

RBell <-----Learned that no one laughs in these threads.

:D

(sometimes having the spiritual gift of sarcasm stinks)

14. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

man rbell...I am learning that! Maybe I need to teach some of my fellow cavinist that it just may be Gods predestined will that we break out a grin every now and then...

J

15. christ4life

christ4life New Member

That is what we should expect out of a postmodern world. That is also why we have to stand up for the great truths of the Bible. It seems like in all the New Testiment letters, false teachings always started inside the church, not from outside. We have to study and rightly divide God's Word. A lot of false teachings being preached from the pulpits.

16. kmichael

kmichael New Member

I am not sure that postmodernism has alot to do with it. This is catch 22. On the one hand I am Reformed Southern Baptist. On the other hand. I have much respect for Drs. Patterson and Fish. Additionally, the SBTC is a much needed alternative to the ultra-liberal BGCT. I will divide over more than most. I have no issue "narrowing the tent" with reference to doctrinal issues. However, the Texas Convention was, imho, wrong for making this an issue of primary concern, and an issue on which CP dollars were spent. We must be patient with our brothers and sisters who do not hold to reformed theology. It is not just believing in the 5 points of Calvinism. It is a new way of looking at Scripture--in light of the sovereignty of God.

Kevin

:1_grouphug:

17. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Few of us, except those on the inside, appreciate the heavy handed approach of the SBC toward those who don't tow the denominational line. I find their positions on doctrinal issues often extreme and sometimes downright stupid. However, as much as we may disagree with the likes of Paige Patterson, we in the SBC owe him and others a debt of gratitude. When the takeover began some 25 years ago, the SBC was headed in the same direction as the mainline denominations--down the slippery slope of liberal orthodoxy. Consider, for example what has happened in the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Under Roy HoneyCutt the seminary was drifting leftward at a frightening pace. The only real orthodoxy advocated through the seminary was individual soul liberty and separation of church and state. There was little concern over the moral decline in the society.

With the coming of Albert Mohler this has completely turned around. Mohler expects his faculty to subscribe to the BFM. He is greatly concerned about issues of morality. In most respects he has led a return to conservative principles. It is because of Mohler and others in the SBC leadership that Southern Baptists are growing. Without this kind of leadership Southern Baptists today would be arguing over issues such as whether to ordain homosexual pastors, just like Methodists, Episcopalians and other mainline denominations. They would likewise be declining rapidly in number. So I say thank God for the conservative leadership of the SBC. They may not be very nice and you may dislike them, but they sure do beat what we had before the 1980's.

18. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Your history on Falwell and the convention is incorrect.

19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The BGCT is not "liberal" by any sane definition of the word. And it is certainly not "ultra-liberal."

If you don't like the BGCT then just say so. Frankly, I'm not a huge fan either at this point. But please don't bear false witness.

20. kmichael

kmichael New Member

Ok, I do not like the BGCT, the ultra-liberal convention in Texas who has a woman leader, supports the CBF, BWA, homosexuality, and has such a loose opinion of doctrine that they rival the RC's for the term "harlot."

That any better for you? Thank you for asking me to clarify my position.

k :tonofbricks:

:BangHead: