1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Texas Voter ID Law Violates Voting Rights Act, Court Rules

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Texas’ voter identification law violates the U.S. law prohibiting racial discrimination in elections, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed previous rulings that the 2011 voter ID law — which stipulates the types of photo identification election officials can and cannot accept at the polls — does not comply with the Voting Rights Act.

The full court's ruling delivered the strongest blow yet to what is widely viewed as the nation’s strictest voter ID law. Under the law, most citizens (some, like people with disabilities, can be exempt) must show one of a handful of types of identification before their ballots can be counted: a state driver's license or ID card, a concealed handgun license, a U.S. passport, a military ID card, or a U.S citizenship certificate with a photo.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/20/appeals-court-rules-texas-voter-id/

The US 5th Circuit Court of Appeals is one of the most conservative of the appeals courts. The law must really be bad if they ruled against it.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It IS Texas. They think they can do whatever they want.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really dumb ideological ruling. 7 different forms of ID available. Free of charge, but it's too much trouble for minorities?

Ridiculous.

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not too much trouble for them to get same id to buy cigarettes and beer

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The court's decision is racist. It assumes minorities are too incompetent to get a photo ID.

I am one of those people the court is "protecting." I have eight, count then, eight, different government issued photo IDs in my wallet.

Texas Drivers License
    Texas License To Carry (firearm)
    Veterans Administration ID Card
    US Passport
    US Passport Card
    Florida Non-Resident CCW License (firearm)
    Utah Non-Resident CCW License (firearm)
    DD Form 2765 - US Military (Retired)

(I also have an Arizona CCW License but without a photo)

And just for good measure, my non-government issued Sam's Club ID card.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

Illegal aliens are relatively unlikely to have a valid ID.

Striking down any law they don't like on the excuse it might even just a small disparate impact on blacks or Hispanics, even if the law is in the legitimate interest of the state....

Activist judges hold a fist full of these bogus trump cards, like the anti-Christian trump card (if a law indirectly "benefits Christians, it's unconstitutional").

Let no one pretend that nay ruling by Liberal judges has any legitimacy. And, the RATs would prefer Hillary to win and elect the Fifth Activist to the Supreme Court, nullifying the Constitution with their bogus trump cards which cover EVERY issue.