1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Textual Criticism - Canon 6

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Canon Six: Generally speaking, the reading that closely conform to the style, diction or viewpoint of the author in the rest of the book is to be preferred over a reading that seems markedly divergent.

Reason: Some readings are obvious emendations by well-meaning copyists reflecting personal preferences in doctrinal battles of their day.

Caveat: This must be used with extreme caution, since the authors ARE capable of divergent thoughts and a wider range of viewpoints than the liberal thinks possible!

Thoughts?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the thinking of those who support the Comma of 1 John. Personally, I know very little Greek, and am not qualified to support or reject the Comma based upon the Greek.(What I DON'T believe is the KJVO argument that the Comma is the "Trinity" verses. If these people would read the account of Jesus' baptism, they SHOULD see the Holy Trinity right there!)

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But debate over the Tri-unity of the Godhead raged then and I'm not surprised at a few places that emend the text, adding "support" to their interpretation.

Same with the Arian controversy. Adding a "Lord" here or a "Christ" there just helps solidify the case against heresy.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see a possible conflict here with Canon 2 "The more difficult reading is preferred".

Canon 2 would say that a reading not conforming to the style of of the author is the more difficult passage because (for instance) it doesn't fit or interrupts the flow of the passage and should therefore be preferred.

HankD