1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Textual Criticism - Canon 7

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Canon Seven: Generally speaking, the reading that reflects NO doctrinal bias on the part of the copyist himself is preferred over one that betrays a special "agenda".

Reason: The Masoretes (who compiled and then added vowel pointing to the Hebrew) and the Byzantines (who compiled the eastern Greek) had strong theological views that were subtly inserted in pointing of consanants to change their meaning or to add words to enhance their personal doctrinal positions.

Thoughts?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Masoretes, I am told, had VERY exacting standards for copying the Scriptures verbatim, right down to reproducing any ink smudges on the ms being copied. I wonder who first added the vowel points? A Jewish friend of mine can't answer.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Bob, Do you imply by your adjectives and adverbs regarding the Byzantines that the Alexandrians were immune from this sort of thing?

Did the Alexandrians removed words to support their "strong" theological views and were they incapable of "subtilty"?

They were just as human as the Byzantines and also were much more sloppy with their texts (according to Burgon-Scrivener).

To delete is just as easy (maybe easier) than to add to a passage when going from copy to copy.

Papyri studies (some of which I posted here on the BB) have shown that older readings from these papyri (older than Aleph/B) in many cases agreed with the Byzantine longer readings against Aleph/B. We have a long way to go yet (IMO) to fill up the inventory, especially on the N. African side of the ledger.

I have read that there are several thousands of KNOWN mss yet to be analyzed, documented and categorized.

HankD

4. garpier

garpier New Member

Dr. Bob,

Thanks for posting the seven canons. Are these canons man made or Bibles based? If Bible based, could you olease give those references. If man made, doesn't that make man the one who has authority to determined the Word of God instead of God Himself?