1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Textual Criticism.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Mar 15, 2019.

1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am serious. Your over use of the word "common" clouded your intent. The word "common" can mean shared or often occurring. Often occurring does not necessitate a shared origin.

I wanted to know what you meant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you suggesting that is anything more than a spelling error? Or was he just a bad speller and should have put γινομένου? :)

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, The original? :)

4. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then the rest of the statement is illogical though.

"A common text exists between all the variants. The more common reading among any variant has more in common with the common text between the variants. Think about this truth"

He basically just said the original text is closer to the original text. To say the original reading has more in common with the original text is like saying blue is blue.

Textual criticism now views text = equal to reading. Text does not equal manuscript.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because we don't have the originals doesn't mean they don't or didn't exist.

#25 HankD, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  6. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course they did.

The disconnect was mere terminology. I suspect due to changes in how textual critics speak of manuscripts, texts, etc...

7. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another recent development which i think will not go over well. Is the abandonment of "text types". The Alexandrian and western text types are no longer recognized to exist. Only the Byzantine text type is still recognized. But it seems that text type has even narrowed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again the different text types exist whether they are recognized or not or if the lines of demarcation are muddled or not.

9. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lines are blurred quit a bit now. Their is Byzantine text type and everyone else. It is frustrating at times. To relearn vocabulary and let go of the use of text type. But with CBGM being the major driver of textual criticism, it doesn't take long to see why the Alexandrian text type is said not to exist. Even the use of the term text has changed. It doesn't refer to a manuscript. It is always about the reading.

One of the fears that CBGM has brought is a dehistorizing of the text. You now have 11th century manuscript, That is said to have an older text than a 4th century manuscript(I will check dating once I get back to office and update if incorrect--this is ballpark). Which should excite Byzantine priority people. The NA/UBS series will likely become more "Byzantine" in its reading. This is already seen in the NA28. Acts, and the general epistles all took a swing towards Byzantine priority. The vast majority of changes favor the Byzantine text type.

Unfortunately, anything you learned about textual criticism in seminary or college in the last 5 years or more....is now horribly outdated. The use of computers is changing everything and the world of textual criticism is changing fast.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that is also kind of the point I think. They are more concerned with text, than with manuscripts. When processing the the text of the manuscript into a computer and comparing it others....text type quickly becomes irrelevant to a significant degree.

It will be interesting to see how CBGM effects the Gospels. The 5th century or older manuscripts seem to be on a trend of losing "weight".

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eh, I am old school and will always be - until of course I am in the New Jerusalem - there we have the word of God without variants.

Psalm 119:89 LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

12. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that brother! :)

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, have a couple of paper and ink publications in my random access library to that end, one of them is because of the early papyri (schwarz?) containing both Byzantine and Alexandrian text types evenly distributed.

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV, NKJV and EMTV. The MLV has "during" in italics because that is not the reading of the Greek text that translation claims to follow.

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither.

16. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    On Luke 4:4 do you know WHY those words are omitted? This is your problem, you are going with percentages and not reasons for textual decisions.

Let's give this example:

Say I write a letter. There is the original and from the original are made 5 copies. We now only have 2 of those copies left from the original. Since then, there have been hundreds of copies made from a copy that was made from one of those five copies but the person who made that copy changed or added a line to the original letter.

The evidence would show that 90% have the incorrect reading but that does not make it correct to the original.

The point is, you need a better argument than percentages. Not all manuscripts hold equal weight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 4:4, Greek family 35 is 90.7% of this reading of the manuscript evidence. The reading which is the same as Matthew 4:4 citing Deuteronmy 8:3 is 7.3% of the evidence. Only about 0.4% omit it. You believe what you want.

18. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The nose counting is not as signficant as the "weight" of manuscripts with the shortest reading. When you look at the Greek, there is nothing that would explain an accidental omission, such as a similar word or case ending that causes them to get lost.

However it is easy to see a copyists, who would be following logic similar to yours, lenthening the text to make it match the Septuagint or the reading found in Matthew.

*With that being said. I will be surprised if CBGM does not facilitate the change on the NA to reflect the Byzatine tradition here. Age of manuscripts is becoming less important in the new model. Unless they weight the Syriac and Coptic manuscripts heavily, I think it will change.

#38 McCree79, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I understand the CBGM correctly, it doesn't make use of the ancient versions but only the Greek manuscripts. The editors may later give more emphasis to versional data than CBGM results (as in the 2 Peter 3:10 conjecture), but that is an override and not due to CBGM itself, at least so far as I understand.

20. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this example they did translate the Syraic and Coptic variant into Greek and placed it within CBGM. So, yes and no. Did didnt make use of those manuscripts, but they did enter the variant in. I cant understand why, but I am looking at it right now. It is listed as variant "a".

This is the biggest example of the CBGMethod that gives me concern. Not a single Greek has this reading yet CBGM lists it as the most likely original reading.