1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Textual Criticism.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Mar 15, 2019.

1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To add to this, while based on traditional Textual Critical methods, variant "b" was what most people went with. But CBGM editors(Miink) felt that most of the other variants could only come about if "a", the Syriac and Coptic reading were Orginal, they did this by using the genealogical method. The Coptic/Syriac is translated into Greek and then listed as variant "a".

It still makes little sense to me. But that is what I remember from Wasserman and Gurry's work on this text

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are talking about CBGM editors, they did use the Syriac/Coptic version in the text they produced. However the later editors are still able to make their own choices about what goes in the NA/UBS.

#42 McCree79, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact that you didn't even interact with what I actually wrote shows you either can't or won't speak intelligently on the subject.

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know the reason those words in Luke 4:4 are omitted. Execept there is reason to believe that omission, amoung others are intentional, not accidental, do to the common set of omissions of that manuscript type.

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you might want to do some research on the topic and get back to us. What makes you think that they were omissions in the manuscripts in question?

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is how that works, if the original Luke 4:4 omited those words, then they were added. If the orginal reading had those words then they were omitted. The more difficult reading is the reading having the 90.7% manuscript evidence. The shorter and oldest reading is the reading of 0.4% manuscript support. The issues are what suppositions are being made? Which reading is found with more geographical support? How is the reading being weighed?

7. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you are back to percentages showing you don't understand textual criticism. Do some research and try again. you also might want to cite your percentage sources...

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not read what I wrote did you? ". . .
    One of the things touted about the New Testament documents is that they are better supported in number than any other ancient documents. And given that those documents are really the sole evidence for a resurrected Christ we can then therefore dismiss them. The dead do not come back to life. That as real knowledge. There are two reasons I remain a Christian. One, I actually know God. Two, it is the phenonena of the gospel of grace - the lost do not understand it. And it is by the gospel of grace by which all genuine Christians know God.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three of the oldest copies of the gospel according to John which omit John 7:53 -John 8:11 have something strange in common. At the end of John 7:52 they each of a puncuation mark. Papyrus 66, Codex Vaticanus and the Codex Sinaticus.

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is great but doesn't actually have anything to do with our current topic.

11. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sinatiticus is full of the semicolons you are referring to. How is that strange?

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying here then the TR/Kjv needs no updates/revisions? Even Dean Burgoun himself saw the need to update and revise both of them!

13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find that those who are dead set on the TR usually are not for logical reasons, but emotional and traditional reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are so are logical and into textual criticism, but the KJVO crowd is those like you are speaking on here!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This isnt just limited to the KJVO types. Many in the KJVO camp couldn't care less about the TR, and some of the TR only types dont think the KJV is inerrant, it is just the best. There is a variety of types he would be talking to here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sinatiticus has a dot at ends of phrases through out. P66 also. But between them at the same places? There is no published study on manuscipt punctuation that I know of. At the end of John 7:52 is one known place.

17. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they are from the same stemma it would make sense that they have the same punctuation. It would show they are on the same "family tree".

You bring up a good point. I am not sure if CBGM is looking at punctuation locations and types of punctuation used. It seems like that would be a good idea to help form a global stemma. I will have to check on that.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The assumptions made regarding reasons for variant readings accidental and intentional. The rules by which one might decide what variant is most likey the original reading of said text and why.

19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and you have yet to show an argument for that. I am convinced more than ever you don't understand textual criticism.

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 12:25 has 7 variants.
    ". . . to Antioch . . ."
    ". . . from Jerusalem . . ." (apo)
    ". . . from Jerusalem to Antioch . . ."
    ". . . from Jerusalem . . ." (ex) TR, A & א
    ". . . from Jerusalem to Antioch . . ."
    ". . . to Jerusalem . . ." B & Majorty Text
    ". . . to Jerusalem to Antioch . . ."

Now one is the original text, apparently the others are intentional changes. Now I am peusuaded that "to Antioch" is likely the orginal reading, it has only 5.1% if the manuscript evidence. Can you figure out why I might think that? (This is not origial with me either)