1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Textual Criticism

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by KJVBibleThumper, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

It was not my BP. It was pretty normal at for me 108/62 at the time, considering I rnage form about 105-118 on the top, and anywhere from 55-72 or so on the bottom. Only the heart rate was slow, that day.

Incidentally, my bride is a very highly trained cardiac nurse (who has turned down the chance to be the head of the cardiac unit, where she works at the KY hospital that does the most cardiac procedures in the state, three different times), and she keeps pretty close tabs on me, as do my doctors, as well.

Ed

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Sorry, Ed, my bad. But that's still awfully low for a pulse rate, too. And it's good your wife and your doctors keep an eye on you.

Know why the elder years of a person's life are called the golden years, Ed? It's because we line the doctors' pockets with gold. :D

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Tell your wife if the toothbrush had been invented anywhere else other than Kentucky it would now be called the "teethbrush", then DUCK!:tongue3:

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sorry, you're way behind, on this one. She and/or her best friend, who is also my sister-in-law, told that one to me, several years ago, including the actual town, at which it was invented.

Ed

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You wish, my little mexican jumping bean!:laugh:

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Let me ask you all, what Gospel is there without repentence?

I know! I know! the one that sends people straight to hell!:tear:

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Confirmation of the Bible's clear teaching concerning all doctrines by its wordings to present a clarity which could not be denied, except where certain words have been omitted, and although the thought is implied by the text, is to have a perfect Bible.

Like I said, show me a gospel devoid of repentence and I'll show you a teaching that sends people to hell!

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Sal, you keep going back to "omitted" words. This probably isn't the case at all. In general, the older and therefore more reliable texts don't have many words found in the newer texts. It's much more likely the newer texts used in the translation of the KJVs actually added words to what was originally written. Your assumption the words are omitted is nothing more than your opinion based on the fact the words appear in the KJVs.

Can you show us a single Bible translation that teaches something other than repantance? I'm not talking about a translation that doesn't have the word in a particular verse. That only means the text the translation is based on didn't have the word there originally. I'm talking about a translation that actually teaches something else.

:tonofbricks:

#88 Keith M, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
  9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Not true. This shows your inclination of conspiracy to defend modern versions over the KJV. The apographs from which the KJV and Modern Versions were derived are where many words were found. The MODERN VERSIONS OMITTED words from the older apographs, but the KJV retained them. The Modern Versions [hateful slander removed] omit the words from the older apographs. The KJV follows the providential preservation of the Scriptures in the apographs because the apographs were derived from the autographs where God inspired His Words. [more removed].

#89 Askjo, Jan 17, 2009
  10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

A-MEN! PREACH-IT!

#90 Salamander, Jan 17, 2009
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Statement made. Evidence is quite lacking historically. Sorry - doesn't work. What about the fact that 1 John 5:7 is not found in ANY of the manuscripts from any earlier than the 10th century. When Erasmus translated from the Greek to English for his translation, he did not include it and noted: "In the Greek codex, I find only this about the threefold testimony: 'because there are three witnesses, spirit, water, and blood' " He did not include it and said that he would NOT include it until someone showed him a manuscript that had it. The one manuscript that was given to him was a very late manuscript but true to his word, he added it, but added in the Annotations, "I have restored the text...so as not to give anyone occasion for slander." It was not added because he felt it was supposed to be there but to keep his word. Adding it was not adding something dangerous so it went in.

However, today we only have 8 manuscripts that include it. Want to talk about adding?? Only 8 manuscripts out of thousands have it and we say it should be there? What kind of evidence is that??

#91 annsni, Jan 17, 2009
  12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Ann, the manuscripts don't matter. You don't need them. You don't need the Greek or anything else for that matter. The KJV is the Word of God period. The cannon is closed with this version.

Of course I don't believe that but it all comes down to that statement. Right or wrong that's the KJVO bottom line stance. Don't confuse them with any facts. Don't expect logic, sound Biblical research or exegisis, or just pure common sense to matter. They don't!

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - that's the exact argument. I agree.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I think his arguement was rather that Father Son and Holy Ghost was better fit than "spirt,water, and blood"

Your statement about it not being until the 10th century is false!

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It was not quoted as Scripture. Here's from Bible.org

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Another one is Cyrian (200-258 AD). He witnessed this verse and quoted it.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is not true. While I don't like Wiki to be a source, the information tests true in my experience and is well summarized:

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You'd better check his wording as how he denies the facts, Ann, he is using a play on words. several had quoted the verse as found in the KJB to include the Trinity.

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I learned that Daniel B. Wallace is no friend of the KJV/TR. I also learned that Metzger is an unbeliever according to a source.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From the quote I have above from Bible.org, Cyprian says "“The Lord says, ‘I and the Father are one’; and again it is written of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, ‘And these three are one.’”" That is not 1 John 5:7. Can you show me the exact quote that quotes the verse? Maybe I've missed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.