1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Thank you for your service"

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Thank you for your service" is something us vets often hear - esp when we are wearing a military
    T-shirt or Cap.
    So how should we respond?

Over on Rally Point - I had answer which I stated:
    "Often, I will say - I can only accept that on behalf of those who gave all."
    I should note - I never spent anytime in a combat zone

I was very humbled by Sp5 Tom Mannings response:
    SSGT i think your response is outstanding and if you dont mind i would be honored if i could start using it .

I then told him, I would be honored if he did do so.

So what do you do when you are thanked for your service?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other day, I parked in a spot reserved for Vets at a big box store. And sometimes near Memorial Day, or Veterans Day, our church honors all Vets in attendance, we stand and our siblings in Christ applaud. I always feel like a phony because I never served in combat, not was I injured. But if a discount is offered for Vets, I take it. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van - don't feel guilty. In fact, I went to Oakland Army Base for shipment to Nam - but at the last minute, I was diverted to Germany.
    IN the End, I believe the Lord had a hand in it - and he wanted me in Germany.
    I may have not went to a hot war - but I did serve during the cold war
    Just like a church - everyone is not the pastor - but each of us has a part of the ministry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you both for the time you gave, and your willingness to pay the ultimate price in defense of our country. I want to also thank all the other veterans who read or post on this board. Praying the Lord's blessings for each of you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who have not served - there are two options:
    1) The US Veterans Reserve Corps
    This is a private organization - though they do work in close coronation with the Army National Guard
    It was originally founded during the War Between the States for the purpose of allowing disabled GI's/Vet
    to serve in the rear echelon. There currently is no age limit - and no requirement to be a Vet. However, if you
    a vet - you probably will be enlisted or appointed to the pay grade you held on Active Duty (Active or NGR).

2) State Guard State Guards (Some use other names) are under the authority of individual States/Commonwealths.
    They are NOT federal troops and can not be called into active duty by the DoD. (However, individuals in the Guard could be
    drafted) The State Guard is the back up to the Army National Guard and has 3 basic missions 1) be available for missions in
    the absence of the NG - 2) Maintain security of the NG Armories, 3) provide family assistnce for NG members while they
    are deployed. Currently 18 States/Cvommonwealths have a State Guard. Some may allow you to join if you live in a bordering
    S/C. Most Guards will allow you to join up- even to the age of 60 to 65.

And by the way - both groups do need Chaplains, Assistant chaplains and Chaplain Assistants.

Great way to serve your country!

I spent over a decade in the US Active Army - then I spent several years in State Guard,
    between the NY Guard and the Virginia Defense Force.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Viet Nam vet, I am thankful for anyone saying "thank you" . I just say, "Thank you for your support" and then in my mind, I ask, ""where were you 50 years ago when i was getting spit on for serving my country" But I never say that part

• Agree Agree x 1