1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

That last name...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:...OK Kim, good enough reasons, I suppose I'd better take that back. :flower:

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have two problems with it, the scriptures say the head of the wife is her husband, so it could appear as rebellion to God's word, but a more serious problem would be children that would come along. I can just imagine the kids asking their mother why she has a different last name, it almosts suggests she is ashamed of their last name. It could also present embarrassing social situations for the kids, many other people might assume their original parents were divorced and might wrongly assume their true father is their step-father if they met only the mother, which could easily happen at school for example. I would not be comfortable with this.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Okay - then what about if the husband took the wife's name. Then everyone would be the same, too.

It is alarming to me that people find this to be an attitude of rebellion. This is a cultural custom from a period of time when women were considered to be less than human.

If she wants to take her husband's name, that's great. If she doesn't, get over it. They can be one flesh with two last names.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is only a western custom and no biblical warrant for certain. Most of us follow such customs.

I married a gal who was a TV anchor and then state senator. Well known for her name. When she married she retained her well-known name and I can understand it.

After 20 years of marriage my wife and I moved back to her hometown. In order the capitalize on her family's name (well known and respected in business, performing arts, etc) I WISH she could have reverted to it for her clinic/practice. Instead used it in place of her middle name, causing many to see the connection.

How many women will replace their given "middle" name with their maiden name? That seems pretty common (and NOT rebellious). :thumbs:

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

If the husband wants to take his wife's name I guess that would be ok, although that might cause him problems with his own family, especially his parents. It would probably be embarrassing for him with people who have known him all his life, and I can easily see him being ridiculed, especially by his male friends. It would also appear that the wife wore the pants in the family. Now I know the wife often truly does wear the pants, but traditionally women have taken our names to allow us to deceive ourselves we are the boss. Keeping her last name not only hints at rebellion against God, it could also suggest she is ashamed of her husband's name as I said before, it could also suggest a lack of true commitment to the marriage. With all these possible problems I would be hesitant to perform the wedding. I would absolutely want to talk to them about these possible problems if I felt I could perform it. This is not as simple a matter as some might think.

#25 Winman, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen people hyphenate both last names together. For example, Teresa Smith marries Rob Williams. Her name becomes Teresa Smith-Williams and his name becomes Rob Smith-Williams. IMO, whatever the couple decides is OK.

I have heard of one family that did not have any sons. Their family name would have died off with the parents after the daughters married and took the husbands name. One guy that married one of them allowed her and the children to have her maiden name so the family name could continue on. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I ask that question in my premarital counseling...so I would know why they did what they did.

And IMHO, the "why" holds more information than the "what."

Another reason for requiring premarital counseling.

(yes, I've married folks in both cases...although the one case in which maiden names were kept involved an attorney with an existing practice...and she doesn't mind being referred to by the married name).