1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The 12 Anathemas of the Council of Ephesus (A.D. 431)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jacob Dahlen, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Jacob Dahlen

Jacob Dahlen New Member

Source: The Rudder
    Anathema I. If anyone will not confess that the Emmanuel is very God, and that therefore the Holy Virgin is the Mother of God (Theotokos), inasmuch as in the flesh she bore the Word of God made flesh [as it is written, "The Word was made flesh"]: let him be anathema.

Anathema II. If anyone shall not confess that the Word of God the Father is united hypostatically to flesh, and that with that flesh of his own, he is one only Christ both God and man at the same time: let him be anathema.

Anathema III. If anyone shall after the [hypostatic] union divide the hypostases in the one Christ, joining them by that connection alone, which happens according to worthiness, or even authority and power, and not rather by a coming together (synodo), which is made by natural union (enosin physiken): let him be anathema.

Anathema IV. If anyone shall divide between two persons or subsistences those expressions (phonas) which are contained in the Evangelical and Apostolical writings, or which have been said concerning Christ by the Saints, or by himself, and shall apply some to him as to a man separate from the Word of God, and shall apply others to the only Word of God the Father, on the ground that they are fit to be applied to God: let him be anathema.

Anathema V. If anyone shall dare to say that the Christ is a Theophorus [that is, God-bearing] man and not rather that he is very God, as an only Son through nature, because "the Word was made flesh," and "hath a share in flesh and blood as we do:" let him be anathema.

Anathema VI. If anyone shall dare say that the Word of God the Father is the God of Christ or the Lord of Christ, and shall not rather confess him as at the same time both God and Man, since according to the Scriptures, "The Word was made flesh": let him be anathema.

Anathema VII. If anyone shall say that Jesus as man is only energized by the Word of God, and that the glory of the Only-begotten is attributed to him as something not properly his: let him be anathema.

Anathema VIII. If anyone shall dare to say that the assumed man (analephthenta) ought to be worshipped together with God the Word, and glorified together with him, and recognised together with him as God, and yet as two different things, the one with the other (for this "Together with" is added [i.e., by the Nestorians] to convey this meaning); and shall not rather with one adoration worship the Emmanuel and pay to him one glorification, as [it is written] "The Word was made flesh": let him be anathema.

Anathema IX. If any man shall say that the one Lord Jesus Christ was glorified by the Holy Ghost, so that he used through him a power not his own and from him received power against unclean spirits and power to work miracles before men and shall not rather confess that it was his own Spirit through which he worked these divine signs; let him be anathema.

Anathema X. Whosoever shall say that it is not the divine Word himself, when he was made flesh and had become man as we are, but another than he, a man born of a woman, yet different from him (idikos anthropon), who is become our Great High Priest and Apostle; or if any man shall say that he offered himself in sacrifice for himself and not rather for us, whereas, being without sin, he had no need of offering or sacrifice: let him be anathema.

Anathema XI. Whosoever shall not confess that the flesh of the Lord giveth life and that it pertains to the Word of God the Father as his very own, but shall pretend that it belongs to another person who is united to him [i.e., the Word] only according to honour, and who has served as a dwelling for the divinity; and shall not rather confess, as we say, that that flesh giveth life because it is that of the Word who giveth life to all: let him be anathema.

Anathema XII. Whosoever shall not recognize that the Word of God suffered in the flesh, that he was crucified in the flesh, and that likewise in that same flesh he tasted death and that he is become the first-begotten of the dead, for, as he is God, he is the life and it is he that giveth life: let him be anathema.

Eight canons were passed:

Canon 1 decreed a heretic named Celestius (so Scholion), anathema.

Canon 2-5 decreed Nestorianism anathema.

Canon 6 decreed those who do not abide by the canons of Ephesus are excommunicated.

Canon 7 decreed those who do not adide by Nicaea are anathema.

Canon 8: "Let the rights of each province be preserved pure and inviolate. No attempt to introduce any form contrary to these shall be of any avail." Mention is made of the Canons of the Apostles.

2. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

OK...

Do you have any points to make...

And, a dictionary might be useful, too. [​IMG]

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cyrill was tricky and heretic man paying bribes to the emperor's sisters. He was not a believer!

See the followings which disproves what Roman Catholic assert Nestorius claimed is different from what he actually claimed.

http://moses.creighton.edu/okeefe/THL531/projects02/Christolgy5thC/Introduction_files/Nestorius.htm

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txc/nestoria.htm

Whorish Roman Catholic will continue telling lies until the Lord comes again and destroy the whole Anti-Christ Harlot!

If anyone call any human being as Mother of God, Anathema to such person ! because that person is denyong Trinity of God by splitting the Godhead into 3, Anathema !

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Yessss....tricksy and false, that Cyrilses (gollum ,gollum)...we hates him, my precious....we hates him...FOREVER!!!!!

Or you could actually read balanced works by non-RCC Church historians such as JND Kelly and Jaroslav Pelikan.

Yessss...(gollum, gollum)...what does that nasty Romish Church have in its pocketses, my precious?....It's tricksy and false and stupid and whorish...ARGHHH!!!! //(cough, cough...gollum, gollum...)

5. nate

nate New Member

So now Cyril is a heretic but Nestorius is a saint? Gees dude you got major problems. RCC say Christ was virgin born are you going to stop believing this core doctrine becuase the RCC says it? Cause you know there just a bunch of stupid whores. (Anyone else besides me starting to think Eliyahu is a Rapper?)

I'm really starting to get the idea you enjoy saying whore and harlot and so the only way in your finite mind you can justify using the terms is if your calling other believers those terms.

You are the one suggesting Christ was not God at birth so your other points are all lame.

6. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Oh boy another thread filled with conspiracy theories and conjecture and no hard proof. :rolleyes:

I wonder what Freud would say about that. [​IMG]

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Posted from pedants corner: isn't it the anathemata of Ephesus? And Jacob, you really ought to put Chalcedon alongside Ephesus for context; they should IMO be read together to get the full Christology.

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem is that RC's and pro-RC's cannot believe that Jesus is God without calling Mary as Mother of God, which is a kind of Whorish Disease. None of the Bible writers called Mary as Mother of God! Did Nestorius deny the Virgin Birth? It is absolutely false accusation!

You are the one suggesting Christ was not God before the birth so your other points are all lame.

Jesus Christ was God before He was born into this world and was the Creator of Mary, and Mary was one of the pots He made and used. Mary could not exist without Jesus Christ. Mary was Hell bound woman if it had not been for the Redemption by Jesus Christ.

Roman Catholic is the Whorish Great Harlot of Babylon. If you don't know it, you don't know the Bible.

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Oh dear, I have a Whorish Disease then. Fortunately there's a rather discreet clinic down the road where I can get treatment with no questions asked.
    Would you please therefore show me the verse which says "the Roman Catholic Church is the Whorish Great Harlot of Babylon". If you can't show me a verse that says exactly that, then please shut up about it.

10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt,

The best pharmacy comes from the Bible as you read Rev 3:18.

Here are the verses for your review: Rev 17:5-9

And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. 6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus : and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns. 8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is. 9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth .

Also it starts from Rev 17: 1-2

the great whore that sitteth upon many waters: 2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication , and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

Abomination is translated from Bdelgmaton (Βδελγματων) which means Abomination by Idol Worship.

Therefore we can find :

1) Great Whore sits on the seven hills
    2) Great Whore tortured and killed True believers
    3) Grerat Whore has something to do with Babylonishe Paganism
    4) Great Whore influences to, relates to, controls many nations throughout the world.
    5) Great Whore rebels against God by Idol Worship.
    6) Behind her there is the Goddess worship.

Revelation 18:3
    all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her , and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. 4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins , and that ye receive not of her plagues. 5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities. 6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double. 7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen , and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.

It will be good if you wake up and come out of the Whorish Ideas which were planted by this Harlot.

11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Did Jesus just pop into the world fully formed? No. He was born, and had as his earthly mother Mary, fiancee of Joseph.

If you don't know this you don't know the Bible.

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try to find out so-called Plymouth Brethren down the street there.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Eliyahu, I asked you this:

And you replied:
    None of the above verses say what I asked which, for your benefit, I repeat below with the verse I want you to show me in bold:

14. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yes, but He wasn't incarnate as Jesus the Christ before He was born, was He?

16. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Matt, I wouldn't recommend that and neither would a friend of mine. He came out of the Brethren Church. He told me he had never heard the Gospel proclaimed until he stepped foot into a Lutheran Church. The only thing he ever heard from the Brethern was how the RCC was a bunch of unsaved pagan whores.

17. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incarnate is not the word found in the Bible, though I just accept it.

Do you read Genesis 18:1- ?
    Jehovah ate the food prepared by Abraham.

Jesus didn't become a new Jesus by coming out of Mary. Jesus was the same for yesterday, today, and forever ( Heb 13:8)

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you are the Master of False Accusation as your father!

19. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Really you know my Father?

Funny you haven't given evidence to knowing my Father who was willing to send His son not to condemn the world but to save it.

Anyhow, I am only relaying the testimony of another person and after witnessing your behavior on this board, I have greater reason to believe him.

20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Eliyahu, for the record (as I think you know), my wife, sister-in-law and brother-in-law are all ex-PBs; their parents are still "in the Meetings". They're well-meaning people who love the Lord, but very much in hock to the traditions of their versions of the Early Church Fathers: Darby, Stoney, Raven, Coates, Taylor, etc and so cannot be said to be sola Scriptura any more than the Catholics or Orthodox. My wife and her siblings left that stifling atmosphere as soon as they turned 18 and all three now go to more mainstream churches.

I have been to an Open Brethren meeting and it was OK but, like their more Exclusive...er...Brethren, they tend to be rather obsessed with rules and regulations eg: headcoverings, dress-codes and endless meetings. It seems particularly bad news if you're a woman.