1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE 12 STONES

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by jaz, Nov 24, 2001.

1. jaz

jaz Guest

Hi everyone. This question was actually asked to me and I could not answer it. A young lady I work with asked me about the 12 stones that were mentioned in Rev. 21:19-20. She asked me did the 12 stones represent the 12 tribes? And what did each stone represent and unfortunately I could not answer her questions. And by the grace of GOD, I ran across this website, our Almighty GOD works in mysterious ways. I hope someone can help me with these questions.

Thank you,

Jaz. :confused:

2. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Ezekiel 48:30-31 (ESV)
    “These shall be the exits of the city: On the north side, which is to be 4,500 cubits by measure,
    three gates, the gate of Reuben, the gate of Judah, and the gate of Levi, the gates of the city being named after the tribes of Israel.

Hi jaz,

In my opinion, the stones describe the light that shimmers and reflects from the city foundations and gates, speaking of God’s glory. I do not believe that each stone (and/or its color) has some deep symbolic meaning. The twelve stones are for the twelve gates. The twelve gates are named after the tribes of Israel. Ezekiel’s vision correlates well with John’s vision in Revelation 21.

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: John Wells ]

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they represent the twelve tribes. I'm going to have to get back with you, hopefully tomorrow, about this. I don't have the time to go into it right now, and there are some OT references I need to look up.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jazz,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'll try to make this succinct. For further study I'd recommend that you purchase The Tabernacle, the Priesthood and the Offerings by Henry W. Soltau.

[​IMG]

(I hope that image size is within limits.) In the chapter on the Breastplate, Soltau goes into depth about the spiritual significance of the twelve stones on the breastplate of the high priest.

Here's a sample: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Israel stood doubly represented by the high priest in the presence of God. On the brilliant stones that rested on his shoulders, their names were engraved according to their birth.

...The stones on the breastplate however, were arranged in four rows of three; and the names were engraven on them, according to the tribes.

...This is the order of the tribes, as they were arranged in their camp, and in the march.

Does not this twofold arrangement of Israel, according to birth, and according to tribes, point out to us the two aspects in which we stand as believers before God, presented in our great High Priest, the Lord Jesus? If looked at in the onyx-stones [on the priest's shoulders], there was no difference between one of the children of Israel and another. They were alike children of the same father, and each was presented in the same glory and beauty. No order of precedence was adopted: no conduct evinced by any, altered the arrangement. Reuben might prove unstable as water: and yet he was first in one of the stones. Benjamin and Joseph might be especial favourites: yet they were last. In point of fact, each of the two stones gave forth its glowing brilliancy equally to each of the
    six names inscribed thereon.
    Thus it is with all the Israel of God. If vieved with reference to their birth of God, there can be no difference. One is as precious and glorious as another. The infinite cost of the blood of Christ has been paid alike for each and all. Each has indissoluble union with the risen Lord, in life and glory. Each has been loved with an everlasting love, and chosen from everlasting in Him. And the Lord, as the great High Priest, bears up each alike in the perfection of His own glory before God. The shepherd, when he had found the lost sheep, laid it on his shoulders, rejoicing, and bore it thus in safety to his home. The Great Shepherd of the sheep will not cease to bear on His shoulders the weakest of the flock, until He at last places it in the mansion of rest and joy, which He is gone to prepare. When the resurrection-morning comes every one of the redeemed will be like Christ, and will be manifested then in the same beauty and glory, in which now he is representatively upheld, on the shoulder of the great High Priest before God.
    God has predestinated those whom He foreknew to be conformed to the image of His Son: and as seen in Christ—the First-born among many brethren—they are even now, not only justified, but glorified. A whole family, whether in heaven or on earth, yet named of the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, children and therefore heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ.
    But the children of Israel were represented in an entirely d!!erent order, and after a different manner, on the breastplate of the high priest. Each there had his own peculiar precious stone, and his own peculiar place. Judah was the head of the first row: and Dan took the lead in the last. The gorgeous colour of the ruby shone out from one: the soft refreshing green of the emerald was visible in another: the brilliant light of the diamond flashed out from a third: and the heavenly azure of the sapphire was displayed in a fourth. Thus, each had his own peculiar glory and beauty: each differed from, without rivalling the other: and each filled his appointed place in the order of God. There was unity, combined with diversity. God is able to create variety, without that variety involving inferiority And so it is with the individuals that compose the Church of God. Each reflects Christ : and yet Christ is seen in each, with a peculiar beauty and glory, into which another does not intrude. Each has his place also in the body : a responsibility to exhibit Christ in that very place, which belongs to himself and not to another; for which he alone is fitted, and without which the symmetry of the body would not be complete, and its beauty would be defective. Moreover, the individual glory of the saint above will probably have a dose connection with the place which he has occupied in the body below; a connection, which would inevitably be broken, were it not for the unwearied love and faithfulness of the great High Priest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soltau then goes into great detail about each stone.

The names of the stones in Rev. correspond to the names of the stones in Exodus. The differing names being merely, in my estimation, the result of changes in language.

The number twelve figures predominantly in the Old and New Testaments, signifying, I believe, the elect of God: twelve Patriarchs; twelve Tribes; in the tabernacle 60 posts (5 twelves), 48 boards (4 twelves), 96 sockets (8 twelves); twelve apostles, twelve foundations, twelve gates, 4 and twenty (2 twelves) elders, 144000 (12,000 twelves), and the tree in the midst of paradise that yields twelve fruits; and this just to name a few of the twelves.

Therefore, when I say the stones represent the "twelve tribes," I do not mean the twelve tribes that issued from Jacob according to the flesh, I mean the Israel of God, which is all the elect from all ages, Jew and Gentile alike.

I hope this has helped. Again, get the book.

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Aaron ]

5. Brian

Brian New Member

Also in Joshua 4vs 4-7 they took twelve stones out of the river and made a memorial to represent the tribes and that event forever. Others here are more up on this but i believe that the number twelve in th bible almost always refers to Israel.

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist