1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Abrahamic Problem

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jun 21, 2012.

1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Also Cornelius a Child of Abraham as Per Gal 3:7

Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Cornelius was regenerated and had been given a heart by New birth to fear God, before God sent the Gospel to him to believe !

Scripture says of him Acts 10:22

And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God had predestined him to be one to receive the gospel, and that the Lord would save him by it, as he would place faith in Christ and turn to Him and be saved!

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, Cornelius like Apollos had been believers in the Old Testament predictive gospel of the coming Christ. Neither knew that this predictive gospel (Acts 10:43) had been fulfilled through the coming of John the Baptist and Jesus "of Nazereth" (Acts 10:36-42).

When Peter preached the FUFILLED gospel that identified Jesus of Nazereth as the Old Testament Christ in the predictive gospel he believed with his household because they were already among those waiting and looking for the coming Messiah.

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Cornelius feared God. That is something no man in nature can do Rom 3:18

18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

Are you trying to tell me that Cornelius had a genuine fear of God by nature, before being given a new heart by God ? Jere 32:39

And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them:

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    one can fear God by just observing nature, have you ever seen a tornado?

he knew that the jews had their own God, true One, that he was sending a messiah, and that Apostles claimed jesus was he!

Still had to hear the Gospel and have God reveal jesus to Him in a saving sense for him to place faith in jesus and get saved!

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Not only did Cornelius fear God which no natural man can do, but he is also said to be a Just Man Acts 10:22

And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.

To be a Just man is to be righteous in the sight of God. The word Just here is the same word used in Rom 1:17

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The Just shall live by Faith indicating they are a Child of Abraham Gal 3:7

Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Cornelius was a Child of Abraham, of Abraham's Seed !

Now Cornelius was a Righteous or Just Man before God prior to he hearing the Gospel and becoming saved !

We know this by Acts 11:12-14

12 And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:

13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;

14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I have already proven from the context that Corneilus was exposed already to the Old Testament Gospel of the coming Christ and therefore already a gospel believer and regenerated. He simply did not know that John the Baptist had heralded the fulfillment of the Old Testament gospel in the Person of Jesus from nazereth.

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Because Cornelius was a Just Man, made so by the obedience of Jesus Christ as Per Rom 5:19

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous or Just the same greek word.

Now because Cornelius was a Just man, and the scripture promise is that the Just shall live by Faith, Faith in the Gospel, then it was imperative that Cornelius have the Gospel sent to him to believe ! When one is made Righteous by the Obedience of Christ, that is speaking of New Birth, whereby one receives the New Heart promised in the Covenant, that New Heart is a Heart that Fears God ! Now we know that Cornelius feared God from scripture testimony Acts 10:1-2,22

There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,

2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

by him fearing God, this was proof that God hath already accepted him as Peter learned Acts 10:34-35

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

And it was based upon this that Peter preached to him the Gospel. This means, when the Gospel is preached as a word of salvation it is to those already accepted of God !

The word of salvation is sent to them who fears God, scripture confirms that here Acts 13:26

Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent.

The Gospel as it pertains to being a word of Salvation is only sent to the regenerated who fear God, they are a People prepared for the Lord, the good ground hearers Matt 13:23

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

the bib

I can agree with that, however Peter makes it clear that God sent him the Gospel that he should hear and be saved

Acts 11:12-14

12 And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:

13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;

This is the same for the Jailor, he was to hear the word of the Lord, believe and shall be saved !

Acts 16:31-32

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You do realise that "Just/fully upright, rightious" etc, as used to describe OT believers such as say a Daniel of Joseph, or a Cornelius ONLY is comparison to others peoples of their times, but before God, ALL still were sinners and "Not good" in of themselves!

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The term "saved" does not always refer to regeneration/conversion but it can do with their life being saved. God's revealed will for Post-incarnation people of God is not merely believe in the Old Testament predictive gospel of Jesus Christ but those living after the fulfilled coming of Christ and New Testament Church ministry is to believe the fulfilled gosple and publicly identify with the New Testament Church ministry through baptim and service - this is how ones life is "saved" for the glory of God.

12. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

the bib

I agree, and that is how it[be saved] is used with the Phillipian Jailor and in Romans 10:9

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Thats how it is used in 1 Cor 1:21

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Cornelius is an Illustration of this very thing ! That is why God sent Peter to preach to him, to save them that believe, which is the stated purpose !

Acts 15:7

And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

There is no doubt that they would hear the word of the Gospel and believe and be saved !

That is the Truth for all the Elect whom God sends the Gospel to as a word of salvation, so they can hear it and Trust and believe ! Eph 1:13

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

The same pattern with Cornelius To hear the Gospel of his Salvation and believe Acts 15:7

7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

Peter here is saying the same exact thing here as Paul is saying to the Ephesians !

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

That is pure unadulterated hog wash! The Jailer was a heathen unbeleiver whereas Corneilius was a follower of the Jewish religion and a believer in the Old Testament gospel already but the Jailor was not.

14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Cornelius was born a heathen unbeliever just like the Jailor was. All God's Elect are born that way by Nature !

It was said of the Jailor the same as it was said of Cornelius believe and thou shalt be saved ! Shall be saved in both instances is future passive indicative ! Acts 16:31

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

The only difference between the Jailor and Cornelius was that the latter had been Born Again for a longer period, but he also needed to hear the Gospel to be saved Acts 11:14

#34 savedbymercy, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Abraham’s faith and his actions worked together, see James 2:22.

Abraham obeyed God; he went to where God said to go, even though he did not know where he was going.

See Hebrews 11:8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.

Genesis 12:1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you

So Abram left, as the LORD had told him; Genesis 12:4

Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son,

Genesis 17:23 On that very day Abraham took his son Ishmael and all those born in his household or bought with his money, every male in his household, and circumcised them, as God told him. 24 Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised, 25 and his son Ishmael was thirteen; 26 Abraham and his son Ishmael were both circumcised on that same day. 27 And every male in Abraham’s household, including those born in his household or bought from a foreigner, was circumcised with him.

#35 Moriah, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Works accompany faith because regeneration is the source of "good works" (Eph. 2:10) and there is no such thing as a man justified by faith who is not also regenerated - regardless of your nonsense.

justification is by faith without works but it is not without regeneration which produces good works. Hence, pragmatically there is no such person that is justified by faith that is without "good works."

However, you don't even understand the basics of salvation and so how can you possibly understand this.

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

God does not even know you unless you love Him by obeying. How did God save you if He does not even know you? Why would God and Jesus make their home with someone they do not even know? You teach unsound doctrine.
    1 Corinthians 8:3 But the man who loves God is known by God.
    John 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command.
    John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
    John 14:23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
    Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

If a person does not obey Jesus, that person will not remain in his love, see John 15:10 f you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.
    1 John 2:4 The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    Did you read 1 John 2:4? If you do not obey God, but say you know God, then you are a liar. Biblicist, since this is what the Word says, do you not think your teaching is lies? For you say a person is justified without works.
    So then, stop preaching contradictory lies.

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I simply get tired of responding to ignorance, perversion of scriptures, when it is obvious you don't have the spiritual ability to understand truth. It is a waste of time to even respond to you or SBM.

19. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You cannot go against those powerful words of God.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you deny the omniscience of God? Does He not know all things, all people, all thoughts of all people, all hearts of all people?
    God knows all! Do you deny that?