1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Amish

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Robert Snow, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I lived for a while in Middlefield, Ohio. There's a lot I could say but will not. I'll stick with the two main things that make my heart hurt:

1. They are often seen as ultimate lovers of children because of their dedication to kids born with medical issues.
    What isn't often publicized is that these high rates often are the result of inbreeding. They aren't allowed to marry outside the faith and struggle to get new blood in.

2. The practice of shunning leaves some extremely wounded, hurting people and it's tough to see a person lose who and what they've known their entire lives.

The books you mention are interesting. It's very beautiful to drive down an old road at dusk and see a man ploughing his field the old fashioned way against the backdrop of an evening sky. The stitching they do is marvelous, they provide great stuff at their veggie and fruit stands, but...

What people don't see would wipe out any romantic view they hold of the type of Amish I have known. True, some orders aren't so, but from what I've seen and learned, there isn't a lot of good within when you peel back the curtain and get a full view.

Then again, isn't it the same with Christianity and other religions today?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Amish remind me of the priest who passed by the man who the good samaritan helped.
    I have never heard an Amish person present the gospel verbally,to anyone.
    Has anyone seen the Amish present the gospel?

A buddist monk might live a quiet life also, but do they help anyone find new life in Jesus?
    I think they fail to obey MT.28.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. calvin

calvin New Member

hi Robert. i have in the past, gotten to know the Amish quite well. i was married to a Mennonite, and her relatives were Amish. also, they had alot of Amish friends. i had the opportunity to live among them for time, and they are no different than you or i. once you get past the differences in clothing and mode of transportation, you will see they are the same as us. they have the same concerns, the same family problems, the same stresses, and hardships of daily life. the difference is, they all stick together. they go through things together. your barn burns down? they help you rebuild it. no need for insurance, you have the community. there is alot these people can teach us. :thumbsup:

6. calvin

calvin New Member

they teach by their example. but if anyone ask about their faith, they do have a ready answer. as far as comparing them to the priest who passed by?? they are always ready to lend a hand to anyone in need. they also provided labor for new orleans after katrina. they are the good samartans. they just dont toot their own horn. :type:

7. calvin

calvin New Member

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "That is quite a statement to make. What proof do you have of this? Can you provide links?"

You want I should put you in touch with neighbors of the Amish in upstate New York that know these people? Neighbors who see them and interact with them on a daily basis? You ask for a link to their eye-witness observations?

There are many Amish that are very respectable, hard working people who are extremely dedicated to their way of life.

Then, there are those Amish such as the two elder Amish men that were arrested a few years ago for selling dope in their Pennsylvania community.

The Sheriff commented at the time that he was flabbergasted over these two men getting caught up in a drug bust. A search on google might provide you with an archived story on the matter but I don't know for sure.

The Amish are not squeaky clean. Maintaining their strict privacy often covers a multitude of sins.

9. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Many Amish do not want their photograph taken. They view it as idolatry.

While we were in Ohio, I took some pictures, but I did not attempt to photograph any of the Amish people out of respect for their beliefs.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Many years ago I was invited to visit an Amish family. We sat down in their living room and visited for about an hour or so. My sister in law and I chatted with 2 women and it was like talking to any other women. We talked about our children and pretty much the same subjects as most women talk about. They were very friendly and welcoming.

The home was very clean but only items of necessity were in the house. There was no plumbing and no electricity. The curtains on the windows were black fabric. It was in the hot summertime, yet the house was very comfortable. Their clothing was black dresses with no buttons. They were held together with straight pins. They do not drive cars so it's very common to see them going down the highway in horse and buggy.

This children were outside playing and giggling just like children do.

This was in southwest Tn, but here in my area in east Tn there is a different sect that wears colored clothing, drive cars and have electricity. They own several businesses in my area.

In one store there were tracts laying on the counter and I picked one up and it listed their doctrines. They do not believe in eternal security and some of their rules we would call legalistic. But any that I have encountered were very nice people so I don't have any horror stories to tell about them.

They are human just like the rest of us and as such are sinners. They do not sin because they are Amish. They sin because like us, it's in their nature to do so.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Amy, do you by chance have one of those heaters sold on TV, said to be hand crafted by the Amish? :)

I admire the industriousness and work ethic, as I know it, of the Amish. I would not like it if in fact they "abuse" their livestock or other animals. As I think even animals should be shown some decorum of respect for all they do and provide us with.

13. calvin

calvin New Member

lol! the top photo does not look like any Amish i have ever met. and ive met alot! the women look more like mennonites, the men?? not even close. both the men and women look like they are actors portraying the Amish. the other photos though....genuine. :smilewinkgrin:

14. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Sounds like the Mennonites, theres a lot of them in my neck of the woods too. You can tell where they live because they always have a sign in the yard with a Bible verse on it. I've not had much interaction with them but my wife will buy plants for our garden from some down the road that have a greenhouse. She's always enjoyed visiting them and says they are real friendly. The men operate a pretty large dairy farm, and the women take care of the house and greenhouse operation. I did drive by there this past summer and saw one of the ladies in a full dress and bonnet on a zero turn SCAG type mower zooming around the yard. That was an interesting sight. They have a pretty cool chicken tractor too, that we always look for when driving by.

15. calvin

calvin New Member

and dont forget, they know how to cook. Mennonites and Amish both. it doesnt matter what the occasion is, if you leave hungry, its your fault!:smilewinkgrin: ive been to many Mennonite services in the past. the worship is much more simple. my former wifes family was more conservative, so the singing was acapella, no instruments. followed by reading the bible, and the preaching of the word. the pastors are not college educated, and were chosen by lot. the Amish do this the same way. their pastors also hold outside jobs. but once ordained hold that for life, unless there is a moral reason for them not to. they also once a month had what was called carry in dinner. everyone brings a dish. the Church was small, but even 20 people can make alot of food.

16. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

17. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Now THAT is interesting!

And if anyone has an issue with it....its scriptural. :smilewinkgrin:

AiC

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

From a paper I wrote this week"

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well hello friend! Bummed because I cant get out to Scranton today because of the snow storm. My friends funeral. I hate walking into RC Churches though. More because this was the one that baptised me as a baby.

So your writing a paper on Anabaptists. Did it also include their own bloody & violent past history?

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then how does God & the HS teach men if not thru ministry?