1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The answer is not in the manuscripts.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Terry_Herrington, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Usually discussions about which Bible the English-speaking people should use turn into the same old argument with the MV lovers reverting back to saying that the Alexandrian manuscripts are superior. Of course God seemingly misplaced these manuscripts for our apostate generation to find and then finally produce a reliable Word of God. How preposterous!

Forget all this stuff about manuscripts and look at the results. The KJV has produced solid Christians for generations who live what the Book says. The great revivals and great preachers have stood by the old KJV and have seen God move mightily among the lost.

The MVs lovers have produced hundreds of different Bibles, all of which cast doubt concerning what verses should be included and what God actually said in these verses.

These MV lovers ask where was the Word of God up until 1600 AD, yet their contention is that we still do not have a copy of the Word of God to put into our hands today. Is it the ASV or the RV or the RSV or perhaps the NASB. No, maybe it is the NIV or the ESV or the NLT. Or it could be the LB maybe even the HCSB, but it surely isn't the KJV.

Well, you can keep looking till you run out of letters, I will stay with the KJV, the Bible God has put His stamp of approval on!

2. Brett

Brett New Member

They're all the word of God.

3. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Terry Herrington writes;
    Well, you can keep looking till you run out of letters, I will stay with the KJV, the Bible God has put His stamp of approval on!
    -------------------------------------------------------

I've been watching this debate for quite a while through recent threads and baptist board archives. I have no agenda. I am fortunate enough to posess many versions of he Holy Word. Please take this question in the spirit it is meant. Where has God put his stamp of approval on the KJV? Scripture verse, tradition? In what way?
    Thanks

4. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

No "MV lover" says that we don't have a copy of the Word of God in our hands, today, Terry. That is an outright misrepresentation of what MV's teach and believe. (That, I believe qualifies as a plain old lie). MV's say the KJV is the Word of God, as is the NIV, NASB, et.al. They reject the idea that the "only Word of God for English-speaking people is the KJV."

Moreover, it is the KJV worshippers, I mean cultists that can't tell us which version of the KJV is "the" right one. All of them? The original, the updates? They they insinuate theological decline is somehow related to MV's, but they have yet to name a doctrine that is actually changed and show us how so. MV's ask where you all say the Word of God was until 1611, but you all can't seem to figure out the answer.

They quickly say God has done mighty things via the KJV. Hmmm, I was under the impression that God does great things via His Spirit. They ignore the fact that just as much theological decline has occurred within the church (including the rise of KJVOnlyism cult) as there has been renewal and revival.

5. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

The premise of this whole thread is bogus. Without the manuscript(s) there would be no versions. KJV or any other. To say they are not the answer is to say they don't matter. If they are meaningless so is whatever tranlation that came out of them.

I have the Word of God right here on my desk in the KJV, NKJV, NASV and the Greek New Testament.

Bro Tony

6. Terry_Herrington

I believe you have one copy of the Word of God, the KJV, and several commentaries.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankfully God has preserved it. It could have rotted in a library or dust bin at a monastery. Thank God.

Huh? The KJV did that? Or God?

Huh? What Reformers, who argueably were the GREATEST preachers and surely without question were part in the GREATEST revival, used the KJV? (Give you a clue: it didn't exist)

Huh? Some cast doubt on the choices of the Anglican translators, but not on what GOD said. God forbid!

Yep. We do and whenever you decide to answer, let us know. We're all ears.

Can you say, "Lie"? Say it again and again and louder and louder, it is still simply not true.

I have letters for this post I've answered. P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I know you feel this way about the other versions besides the KJV, this again shows your ignorance. I must say that I am continually amazed that you would say that about the very Greek Text that the KJV was translated from. I guess the translation in your view is superior to the text it came from, sounds like the view of a man named Ruckman.

By the way, if you are to be believed in what you said to JohnV in another thread, you should not be making these attacks on other versions, nor should you be concerned what others use. Could it be that you were not as honest as you should be. Could it be that you do care what other versions are used, and that you are not just for the KJV without worrying what others use.

Bro Tony

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, God was around long before the KJV and He had his innerrant Bible copied so others could have it too. That was long before the KJV and the Englsih language ever came into being.

God never approves a particular translation but a particular person who is obedient.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you, a troublemaker?? [​IMG]

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

rivers1222 asked:

Where has God put his stamp of approval on the KJV?

Terry said so; ergo, it must be true.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What are you, a troublemaker?? [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]I just cannot understand why some people cannot see that God has used a number of translations around the world over the past several centuries. He even had people follow Him when they even had no personal Bible.

A few years ago I tried to figure out what I thought a Bible would cost today if it were done like in the OT and NT times. Very few except the wealthy would ever be able to afford one of their own. Yet the people of God still walked with Him. In fact it is generally thought that only about 1-2 percent could actually read. Yet people who couldn't read still walked with God.

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If THAT'S your criterion, Terry, then you should rush to the bookstore and get a copy of the LATIN VULGATE right away! That's the version that's been in use longer than any other.

In an authentic copy of the AV 1611, I saw the king's TAX STAMP, but I didn'r see GOD'S stamp. Think ole Archbishop Abbott snuck a copy by Him?

14. mioque

mioque New Member

Terry
    "Of course God seemingly misplaced these manuscripts for our apostate generation to find"
    "
    Just because a manuscript isn't in the hands of people who speak english does not mean it is misplaced

"The KJV has produced solid Christians "
    "
    The KJV also produced the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the KJVO folks would just adopt the attitude of the KJV translators themselves that even the "meanest" translation of the Word of God IS the Word of God then there would be relative peace in the Church concerning this matter.

The radical KJVO agenda however goes far beyond the attitude and spirit of the KJV translators themselves into the realm of error such as "advanced revelation" and the "inspiration" of the English words of the 1611 (or whatever - 1769?) King James Bible, peddling this error and thereby filling the $$$ coffers $$$ of the KJVO arch-bishop and bishopess.

HankD

16. Terry_Herrington

Ps 2:1
    1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
    (KJV)

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Why do the KJV-onlyists whine, and imagine in vain that they have Biblical evidence for their pseudo-theology?

18. David J

David J New Member

Terry,

I'll ask again:

1. show me the scripture that says God approves the KJV.

2. show me the scripture that says KJV and which KJV is the only English bible.

3. where was the perfect bible that follows the KJV(1611-1873,KJ21, NKJV, TMB) 100% before 1611 that supports the KJVO claim about Psalm 12:6-7? Did God lie Terry?

Failing to answer these "simple" questions proves your claims to be false. You keep making all sorts of claims that God did this and God said that but you never have any scripture as a foundation.

In one post you told me that I could use any "apostate" bible that I wanted and you did not care. The word "apostate" was edited. You just lumped me as an apostate by saying that I use an apostate bible. That was wrong! I have every right to challenge your claims and KJVOism. I have challenged you and your claims and you have failed to answer my questions. You do care what versions we use or you would not be here.

I deal with you like I deal with Mormons. You use myths and advanced revelations and I use the Word of Truth as found in any faithful translation of the Word of the Most High. You use emotion and tradition and I use logic and facts. You make claims that God said "this and that" and I simple list the scripture where God said this and that. Your tactics and attacks make you look very dishonest Terry.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Didn't the KJV translators leave some room for the possibility that they might make a mistake and would like it corrected if someone finds out something else. If anyone does even a little translation they will soon have a great appreciation for the incredible task of translation. A translator must undertand the ancient world and how it used words in context and the modern world and how it uses words in its context. Then the translator tries to bridge the gap of maybe 3500 years to maybe as new as about 1900 years removed from us. Quite a task to accomplish.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then how do you explain the fact that only about one to two percent of the early Christians could even read and walk with God at the same time. It wasn't too many years ago in the U.S. that compulsory education came into being. Since that time literact has risen. But then there were those like Paul who probably had a much better education than many of us.

None of those ever read the KJV.

It is not the KJV that does the work. It is God. It is God who is to be glorified not a translation.