1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Answer to the Stalemate

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by HankD, Jan 22, 2018.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, I am not talking about overridding vetoes--that has nothing to do with any stalemate. The stalemate is that the Senate de facto refuses to vote on anything at all because they refuse to allow a vote, causing decades of delay.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is there to say - that amendment was passed - and is not the way it is done!

I would agree that is there is a filibuster - then there should be a real filibuster

No - I am NOT opposed to the Senate requirement for a super majority -
    as was stated previously - the Senate is to take its time in passing a law.

At any rate, you have never addressed the story of the wolves and sheep .

In fact lets make it 8 wolves and 2 sheep -- So 80% vote to eat the sheep - you would be okay with that?

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Senate does not need to take its time. They have decided to take the voters' time because their vested interests are paying them to do so. The balance of powers answers your question about sheepherding. At any rate, everyone knows that the US Constitution is all sail and no anchor. The American republic was drawn up for a Christian people. Since we no longer have a Christian majority, we are at sea with no anchor so to speak. And that is the reason that the Senate will not deliver anything to the American people. We were promised immigration reform during the Reagan years. Thanks to the Senate, nothing has been done.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh brother - gotta go - my head is hurting after hitting it on this stone wall for so long.

5. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was referring to a bipartisan spirit in Congress with respectful exchange of ideas and argument leading to a compromise position representing the will of the people. I was responding to your post:
    "Ok, this is NEVER going to happen. That is the past, the past is not coming back. So what needs to happen is one party or the other, whoever is in power at the time, must end the filibuster rule permanently. It has to be majority rule and that will lay it back at the feet of the public to vote what policies they want to rule at the time, for good or bad, however one sees it. At least things will get done."

Basically, what you're saying is a Democratic Republic no longer works in America. Sadly, you might be right.

6. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least you married well.

I don't imagine you had to choose between two girls to make one your wife though, or you would still be single. ;)

#46 thatbrian, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, I think you are right. After the military I was working my way through engineering school at San Jose and worked for my uncle at the Woolworth's in SJ.

She was a counter girl there, one look at her and I was hooked - that was it - 52 years and 11 children later - still tolerating each other :)

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  8. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being Goofy in Honolulu on our 50th anniversary...

upload_2018-1-27_19-21-55.jpeg

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next, Salty, you will be telling me that your brave ad hominem attack is warranted somehow.

Byrd put in the 60% rule but the fillibuster rule dates back to Aaron Burr during the time of Jefferson--the Senate rules used to be called the Jefferson Manuel.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy has called for majority rule in the Senate.

The Democrats have used this rule to protect the minority to manipulate the tyranny of the minority. They support the continuation of the fillibuster.

President Trump has said that the Senate should go to majority rule to pass a budget.