1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ark

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Bugman, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Bugman

Bugman New Member

I have been reading through Exodus and it occured to me when I got up to:

Exo 25:11 And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, within and without shalt thou overlay it, and shalt make upon it a crown of gold round about.

That Ark was not light! I've always thought of a guy on each side of it walking with it, but that can't be realistic. Any idea how many people it would have taken them to carry it, and through the desert no less? It was another reminder for me to take what the Bible says and not what has been popularised through the media (I've seen picture of 2 guys carrying it before)

Bugman

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the description of the making of the ark (Exodus 25), you could probably use up to 4 men.

3. FearNot

FearNot New Member

Overlay, it doesn't say how thick. Gold can be overlayed either very thin or very thick. It probably wasn't a light object, but I am sure that 4 men could handle the ark quite well.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Those staves were placed on each side of the ark. The law of physics, with leverages and fulcrums, etc would come into play--yes, if done right, four men could carry it even if it weighed a ton.

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes four men could handle the Ark and bear it on their shoulders for the whole house of Israel... If you go to The New Testament that is exactly what they did!... Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John!... Since the Ark is a type and shadow of Jesus Christ... I see no problem!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a perfect illustration why doing theology by "types" is a dangerous thing.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Believer said:
    If it harmonizes what harm is it doing. Unless you don't believe in the illustration given? A better question would be why doesn't the Ark no longer exist? Is not the Old Testament... The New Testament Consealed and The New Testament... The Old Testament Revealed?... I believe it is!

Two book recommendations... The Tabernacle The Priesthood and The Offerings and The Holy Vessels and Furniture of The Tabenacle... both by Henry W. Soltau... Keep in mind the words of God to Moses... make it according to the pattern showed thee in the mount... The Spiritual applications outshine the natural Ark... It's not what it was... It was what it represented... Jesus Christ!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

[ August 13, 2002, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

8. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

The 4 Gospels, in effect, carrying the Ark is an excellent illustration and one I have not come across before. I might see if I can use it in a sermon sometime! Many thanks Tyndale 1946.

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton