1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The assault on tailgating

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Oct 21, 2009.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The assault on tailgating

By Rick Reilly
    ESPN The Magazine

Of all the gates -- Watergate, Monicagate, Spygate -- there is only one gate this country can be proud of: the tailgate.

A parking-lot spiral, a cheese brat whispering sweet nitrates and a decent ticket in your pocket. Buddy, that's more American than deficits. So why is America trying to kill tailgating?

- rest at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4577871&sportCat=nfl

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Simple: Money. the more the universities/sports teams incentivize the buying of tickets, etc., the more they'll get bought. Teams which have never struggled with sell outs are now struggling. PPV is causing ticket sales to lag at some college venues. And you can't have more than one parking spot now because we need that extra spot for the corporate suite that will be serving lobster during the second quarter.

And we haven't helped either. We're now a convenience society (keyword is the sociological concept of society). It's just not convenient - for us or for the sports franchises, college or pro - to tailgate anymore.

3. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, you can tailgate without the beer and alcohol.
    And the crazy stuff. Just have a good time and know the boundaries.
    See what I am saying?!

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree, but so many don't.

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I only go to a couple of Gator games a years (I give the rest of the tickets away) because of all the drunks and shall I say crazy stuff that is going on. I took a few kids with me last time and the first thing they told their parents was about the drinking and a few women pulling up their shirts ( not the game), needless to say their parents have said they cain't go again and were not to happy with me. I don't blame them.