1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Assumption of Mary

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BRIANH, Jul 29, 2008.

1. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

I will get into the perpetual virginity and Immaculate conception straight from the mouths of our Ante-Nicene FAthers later. I CAN show people who did not believe those; thats clear. I cover them seperate.
    It is not a natural culmination unless one is predisposed to develop doctrine without historical evidence. If I am expected to believe that a church has a body of traditions that are on par with scripture; I think we would expect a little more patristic support than 400 years of silence....

2. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

It wasn't forbidden -- to touch them made them unclean. Along with how many other things defined in the OT??? Yet Jesus explained that nothing outside a man could make him unclean -- so I'm thinking it's hard to use Numbers 19 to call this a "sin" or "abomination".

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

These offspring are all Christians down through the ages. Just as Eve is the mother of all mankind, Mary is the mother of all believers in Christ--even those who, to their great shame, choose to ignore Luke 1:48. That is one of the reasons Mary is generally regarded as the new Eve.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Mary is not my mother. I do not have a heavenly mother. I have a heavenly Father.

There is not one reference in the NT of any believer being a child of Mary.

5. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

I absolutely think taking bones off a corpse or pulling the hair off the skull or digging up a grave is an abomination. On so many different levels. We absolutely do not have every specific sin listed in scripture.
    I dont buy the cultural relativism because Jews did not do it, the early Christians did not do it (ie Polycarps bones were not distributed) etc. Do you know who DID engage in relics mrtumnus? I suspect you do.
    Regardless, its a rather moot point now. I dont suppose a Catholic would dig up Mother Teresa and pick away at her bones; surely that is at least a venial sin...not that you are a Catholic and I am purely speculating to the degree of sin it would be now.

6. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

I stand corrected, majority do believe Mary died....I took RCIA Classes during '06 and '07.

Concerning teachers of RCIA...I wasn't too impressed to be honest. After being schooled by the likes of Scott Hahn, Jimmy Atkins and Steve Ray, I knew just as much as the teachers. RCIA was very "elementary" imo, but for some people, that was almost too much.

In XC
    -

7. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Well again, I'm not sure how one can claim Christ for brother and thereby God as Father, and reject Mary as mother. Just me though.

8. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Sadly enough, I can believe that about both the teachers and the pupils.

9. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

ONLY a former Protestant would be frustrated with the lack of instruction from the Catholics because of their reading the works of OTHER former Protestants.
    The Irony abounds!!

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't claim any relationship to Christ as brother on a physical plane.
    Christ said: "Ye are my brothers" on a spiritual plane.
    I am not related to Amy, but she is my sister, in Christ. That doesn't maker her mother my mother, or her father my father, which is the logic that you are using.

My relationship to Christ is primarily that He is my Savior and Lord.
    My relationship to God the Father is that He is my Heavenly Father.
    My relationship to Mary is nada. She is a wicked sinner like the rest of us. She is dead. Her body lies in the grave. She awaits the resurrection like all the rest of the dead. I consider her to be a dead sinner, that when she was alive was used of God for a short period of time to bring Jesus into this world, and that is all. She is not the mother of God. To say as much is another heresy in and of itself.

11. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, she is your sister in Christ, :thumbs:

12. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because scripture does not teach Mary is your mother in Christ. Scripture teaches Mary was the virgin who gave birth to the Messiah, Jesus, and mothered Jesus while on this earth. If Mary is still Jesus' mother or my mother then she would have authority over me and I would be commanded to obey her authority.

God Bless! :thumbs:

13. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

So exactly when did Mary cease to be the mother of Jesus, and where is this concept explained in Scripture?

14. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Surely you are aware that the title "Mother of God" arose in relationship to the nature of Christ and the hypostatic union of his two natures in one person which occurred at the moment of the Incarnation?

And regarding whether Mary sinned or was ever-virgin or is not assumed into heaven, while one may choose to not accept the Traditional teaching in these areas -- it has always seemed to me that from an explicit Scriptural perspective, the most one can say is we don't know. Anything beyond is reactionary and pushes Scripture beyond the limits of what it conveys.

15. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Actually, there is -- the apostle John.

16. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

I'm sure they'll tip-toe around that one too...

In XC
    -

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Could you explain, please?

18. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

John 19:26-27:
    When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own [home].​
    Here we see Mary refered to as Jesus' mother and to John to behold his mother (Mary), in which he did.

In XC
    -

19. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Agnus just beat me to it, but I would add that Jesus did not simply say to John to "take care of my mother" in terms of a material sense. He confers the motherhood of Mary to John when he refers to her as "your mother". John, the faithful disciple who stood at the foot of the cross received this gift, as do we all I believe.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Christ was simply telling John to take care of His mother, because He was going to die.

It is quite a stretch to say that Mary is our mother.

Christ was Mary's redeemer just as He is ours. She was a sinner like me, but chosen by God to carry Christ in her womb.

In all of Paul's epistles, there is nothing about Mary that I am aware of. Surely if she is so important to the NT church, he would have included her among all the intructions to the churches.