1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Atonement of Christ: What did it REALLY Achieve ?5

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Brightfame52, Mar 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation Promised by Jesus !

Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Many times it has been witnessed that Christ's by His Death has saved His People from the penalty of their sins, for them there is no more penalty of sin regarding them to pay, no death due to them at all, to include the second death. For death is the wages of Sin, Rpm 6:23, and since Christ has died for their sins, Life to them is due. However that is not all His Saving His People entails, deliverance from death, the penalty of sin, for His Saving is complete, to the uttermost,[Heb 7:25] and so He saves His People from a lost state, or out of a lost state. He saves, them from their fallen nature, of which they partake of by nature; Simply put, Christ cannot be the Captain of Our Salvation Our Saviour , if in fact He does not save us, not only from sin's penalty, but also from our fallen nature wherein lies the power of sin !

He saves His People from their native corrupt and fallen nature, by giving them in New Birth , a Nature whereby they can escape as stated here 2 Pet 1:3-4

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

2. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation Promised by Jesus ! 2

Christ is promised to save His People from their sins. Matt 1:21

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from G575 their sins.

This word from is the greek preposition apo:

I.of separation

A.of local separation, after verbs of motion from a place i.e. of departing, of fleeing, ...

B.of separation of a part from the whole

i.where of a whole some part is taken

C.of any kind of separation of one thing from another by which the union or fellowship of the two is destroyed

What this is promising is that Jesus will save His People from their sin nature wherein lies the power of sin, the flesh. Paul writes Rom 7:14,21

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

This is also true in regards to the Elect's First parents, Adam and Eve, but they did not know their flesh was evil until tempted by the serpent.

But Jesus is promised to save His People from their sins, their flesh.

Now this is ensured, being saved from our fallen nature by the fact that, He as our Surety Saviour representative was raised from the dead, so likewise in the purpose of God, were all those He represented, and as His Resurrection was unto that He Liveth unto God Rom 6:4-10

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth[through resurrection], he liveth unto God.

Even so therefore, all those whom He represented as Surety and they were [in God's purpose] raised up together with Him Eph 2:6

6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

He, That is Christ and those He represented, His Body the Church are One Heb 2:11

11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

This is what is meant as well, when Christ was begotten from the dead as per Acts 13:33

33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

So likewise were all those He federally represented, they were also together with Him [in the purpose of God] begotten again from the dead, so Peter writes of this very truth here 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

This proves that they [the elect] were in Union with Christ as He was their Head, when He was begotten again from the dead Acts 13:33.

Its the same greek word " begotten" in Acts 13:33 and 1 Pet 1:3 the word is γεννάω :

I.of men who fathered children

A.to be born

B.to be begotten

This is a Major Truth of the Resurrection that is sorely neglected in the Gospel these days. 1 Cor 15:3-4

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Again His Resurrection from the dead was theirs also Heb 2:11

11 For both he[Christ] that sanctifieth and they[His Church] who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

This means that they are all of One Resurrection from the dead ! 19

3. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation Promised by Jesus ! 3

That is why it is stated that they were begotten again through the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Ones New Birth in time, confirms their Union with Christ,being together with Him when He was begotten here Acts 13:33

33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

And as evidence, all for whom Christ died and rose in behalf of, shall be begotten again unto Newness of Life. Peter also calls it here 1 Pet 1:23

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

By the Word of God's Resurrection from the Dead, Yes Jesus Christ in 1 Pet 1:3 is the same as the Word of God here in Vs 23 Remember Jn 1:1,14 well that one in Vs 14 is who died and rose again from the dead !

Now all for whom He died and rose receive as a Gift a New Life to serve God with. Remember Rom 6:10b

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth,[by resurrection] he liveth unto God.

The Life He now lives He lives unto God, and corresondinly, when one is begotten again by the Resurrection of Christ from the dead, the words begotten again means :

to have one's mind changed[repentance] so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

That's also were repentance , a change of Mind , comes from. That's why Peter writes that the Risen Christ gives Repentance Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Peter is speaking of what He wrote in 1 Pet 1:3 ! So that's how those Jesus Christ died for are by Him given a New Life to serve God with, or to now Live unto God, now see the correlation that has with Rom 6:10b

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

That's why the Bible Teaches that the Death of Christ saves those He died for from their sins. Its impossible for Christ to have died for anyone and it not effect their Resurrection from the Spiritually dead by New Birth !.

By it, His Resurrection from the dead, it causes those He died for to be born again as Per the ESV Translation 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Folks this is the Truth of the Gospel, if Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures and was raised again the third day according to the scriptures 1 Cor 15:3-4, a scripture like this one would apply Isa 26:19

19 Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

This is talking about Christ's Body, remember this Jn 2:19-21

19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

Also Hos 6:2

2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

So scripture states clearly that those whom Christ for shall be Born Again, If we do not sometime in our lifetime, be begotten again by the Resurrection of Christ from the dead, then He did not die and raise again for our Justification, we had no interest in His Death, Nor Resurrection at all !!!

4. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    It makes men alive to God !

Did you know that Life comes out of Death ? Christ's Death makes them He died for alive unto God. Jesus said here Jn 12:24

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

24 I tell you for certain that a grain of wheat that falls on the ground will never be more than one grain unless it dies. But if it dies, it will produce lots of wheat.

Remember the parable of the wheat and tares Matt 13, remember who sowed the Wheat or the Good Grain Matt 13:37-38

37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed[Wheat] is the Son of man;

38 The field is the world; the good seed[Wheat] are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

The Wheat is produced by the Corn of Wheat that died in Jn 12:24

24 Verily, verily I say unto you, unless a grain of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone; but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

The fruit are the many lives of the wheat or the Children of the Kingdom, that shall be harvested. Matt 13:30

Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Again, Christ's Death, causes them He died for to be made alive unto God, the Truth behind what Paul teaches here Rom 6:6-11

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

5. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    It makes men alive to God ! 2

Now what people have failed to understand is that all what Christ came here to do by His Birth, Life and Death, and Resurrection, this was not for Himself as an Individual private person, not it was He as a Covenant Head and Sponsor , in other words it was as in an engagement in fulfilling for others their requited obligations to God in Keeping His Law as well as reparation for the violations of His Law they have already incurred, to pay their due to God's Justice ! This was not for all mankind, but for a chosen people given Him by Father in Eternity Past Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Now knowing this Paul writes to the Romans, to all that be at Rome Called Rom 1:7, and for all whom Christ died, because of their representative Union with Him in the Eternal Purpose of God and Election, that what they were by nature [Eph 2:2-3] has been Crucified with Christ, at the same time together with Him, for the purpose that the body of sin might be destroyed, in other words, that was their death, in the death of deaths, our destruction because of our sins.

God's Law and Justice has been completely Satisfied for them, He made an end of our sins Daniel 9:24

24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Its to the End that they might now be made alive to God, never to serve sin again. Also verse "7 For he that is dead is freed from sin."

Rom 6:7

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. This word freed in the original means Justified also it means:

I.to render righteous or such he ought to be

II.to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered

III.to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

BTW He that is dead in the verse simply means he that Christ died for, for all died with Him when He died as their representative 2 Cor 5:14

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

And by that, they were Justified Rom 6:7 This proves that those Christ died for are Justified by His Death alone, without their believing act, that shall come later !

Their Justification by His Death alone is a Legal reality.

And it is because of the complete destruction of our body of sin, all the sins we would ever commit against God in our bodies, we are now made alive to serve God, and not to serve sin again Rom 6:6

Now understand, we do serve sin when we seek Justification by our works, our doings, That's what Jesus meant to the very religious Pharisees here Jn 8:34

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

So Rom 6 is all an legal reality that Paul is teaching because of our death with Christ ! Who and what we are in Adam as pertaining to our constant sinning in the flesh, even now, that has been destroyed, there is no more destruction from the Lord due to it ! 19

6. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Life out of Death !

1 Cor 15:36

36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

Many today in false religion, and in their opposition to the True Religion from above, and in their attack against the saving death of Christ, they do say, that its not the death of Christ that saves anyone, but that its His Life, and then ignorantly point to Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

To give support to their deceit; however nowhere in this text does it state " The death of Christ saves no one " that is fabricated but yes it does state clearly, that "we shall be saved by His Life " Yet it never states or imply that the death of Christ does not save anyone, but it does say some where reconciled to God, while being enemies, by the Death of Christ, and such a statement as "that the death of Christ does not save anyone" is a most horrible blasphemy, and can only proceed from a corrupt and depraved heart !

Now the blessed fact of the matter is, that Christ's death, blood does save them He died for Rev 5:9 To be redeemed unto God by His Blood is a testimony to that, and Christ's Resurrection from the dead is another evidence to that fact. His Resurrection from the dead is living proof that the giving of His Life for a ransom Matt 20:28, destroys death and gives life , which resurrection is a proof of. Its as of the same result as put forth here in our text 1 Cor 15:36; because without His Death, there is no quickening from the dead, no reproduction. If Christ's Death did not save us out of death, in that it abolished death, then there would not have been any resurrection, for His Death destroyed the power of the devil, not His Resurrection, that was evidence or testification of what His Death done or accomplished.

There would have not been any quickening from the dead as Per Eph 2:5, hence we were saved by His Grace, the Grace of Him Tasting Death ! 19

7. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    To bear fruit unto God , as Repentance/Faith

One of the purposes of Christ's Death, which He does accomplish, it is so that those He died for will bear fruit unto God . Rom 7:1-4

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that[in order that] ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

The Death of Christ, for all whom He died, has caused them to be dead or separated/loosed from the Law, they have no legal obligation to law for life, cannot be condemned by the law, are redeemed from its curse Gal 3:13, it has no dominion/power over them, but its for a purpose, not merely to be in limbo or unproductive, but in order that they can be married or joined to Christ, by New Birth and bring fruit unto God !

Now one of those fruits unto God is Repentance, Paul preached it here Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

That Repentance is a Fruit unto God is seen here in the words of the Baptist Matt 3:7-8

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet or befitting,corresponding for repentance:

John knew that not all had been made meet for repentance, and He knew some have Matt 3:1-2

In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,

2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

He knew that God had specially prepared or made meet to bring forth repentance.

And this was one of the designs and accomplishments of the Death of Christ, for if it did not effect this, it would have failed the Divine Purpose. That's why it says after He being Exalted, it was for this Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

And Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

That's how Christ's Death, Him being lifted up, bears fruit Jn 12:24

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Repentance unto God Acts 20:21 is part of that Fruit that Christ's dying as a Corn of Wheat brings forth !

That's why He commanded His Messengers to Preach Repentance in His Name Lk 24:47

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

It was to bring into manifestation His Fruit bearing Death. Every time a sinner repents, its Joy in Heaven Lk 15:7,10

7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

That's Christ's Joy, witnessing the fruit of His Death Heb 12:1-2

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Remember the prophecy Isa 53:11

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

That word satisfied means fulfilled ,delighted , joyous !

Is this the Christ you know and Serve ? The Christ I serve and the one Scripture witnesses to, He bears fruit unto God because of His Death. His Death severed those He died for from the Law, that they should be joined to Him, then bring fruit unto God. Notice also the fruit is after being joined or married to Him by the New birth by the Spirit , For Faith and repentance are Christ's bearing fruit unto God and we know Faith is a Fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22!

8. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Life out of Death ! 2

There would have not been any quickening from the dead as Per Eph 2:5, hence we were saved by His Grace, the Grace of Him Tasting Death Heb 2:9 !

But there is more for confirmation that there is Life or Saving out of His Death as the principle is set forth 1 Cor 15:36

36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

This sets for a biblical principle of quickening out of death, or Life out of death, and Christ's Death gives Life ! Here is even more biblical proof set forth Jn 12:24

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Christ's Death here produces Life, or fruit, to His Spiritual Seed, it came through death, for He is speaking of himself as being that corn of wheat which falls to the ground and die, and IF IT DIE, it bringeth forth fruit, no if's and maybe's, and its not dependent on man's freewill decision which is blasphemy ! Through His death, he does become a Life Giving Spirit 1 Cor 15:45

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

To everyone that Father gave Him, He is responsible for raising them up Jn 6:39

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

All of which comes through His Death Heb 2:14

14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Notice, that His death was the destruction of the devils power of death, and some have the audacity to say that His Death in and of itself does not save anyone.

The very truth of His Death destroying the power of death, is Life , to all for whom He died. Its their redemption from his power. Hosea 13:14

I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

And Christ's Death dealt effectively with all the deaths that sin caused, Spiritual, Physical, and Eternal Death ! And as a Result, Life is given out of all those different deaths ! 20

9. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Life out of Death ! 3

Col 1:21-22

21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

Now here in this passage, it is crystal clear that experiemental Salvation/Conversion to God, which is what Paul called "we shall be saved by His Life" in Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. but here in our text it is attributed to being through His Death saying "21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

22 In the body of his flesh through death,"

You see that ? He is stating that the reason why you are no more enemies in your minds by wicked works, it is being attributed to the success of Christ's DEATH.

The word reconciled here is slightly different than in Rom 5:10, here it is the word apokatallassō:

I.to reconcile completely

II.to reconcile back again

III.bring back a former state of harmony

See in Rom 5:10 the emphasis of reconciliation was legal and it mainly focused on how God was reconciled to the ungodly sinner, while the sinner is still an enemy within himself against God, but in Col 1:22 the focus is on the sinner now having his enmity against God removed and he is now in himself reconciled to God, inother words he has been saved from his enmity against God, and this also is by His Death ! So the person is now completely reconciled to God by Christ's death. 1 Peter teaches the same thing here 1 Pet 3:18

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Notice, not bring God to us, but us to God !

1 Pet 2:24-25

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

That word returned gives the same meaning as the word reconciled in Col 1:21, but its the word epistrephō:

B.to cause to return, to bring back

And its being attributed to " having bare our sins in his own body" His Death ! This totally strikes against the horrible false teaching that one is not saved by Christ's Death.

10. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Redeems out of vain conversation or life style.

We can never testify enough about the blessings accomplished by the Death of Christ, by His Blood, apart from all human freewill, but solely upon His Own Meritorious and Efficacious Death and Blood.

1 Pet 1:18-20

18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Peter said to these, that " Ye Know" how they were redeemed from a vain conversation. The words Ye Know, the greek eidō, which is the same word see here Jn 3:3

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see G1492 the kingdom of God.

And remember Peter said to them right before in 1 Pet 1:3

The Knowing comes from being Born Again !

And observe what they did know, that they had been redeemed out of a vain conversation or manner of life, passed down by their fathers of the flesh.

Here it could denote a vain, worthless and superstitious religious lifestyle, which is Idolatry Acts 17:22-23

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

Yes, even the jews, Peter's kinsmen according to the flesh, were of this sort, ignorant of the True God and Worship of Him in Spirit and Truth, and clave to the superstitions and traditions of the jewish false teachers.

Remember what Paul said of himself before He was converted by the Power of Christ Gal 1:13-14

13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Well that's what Peter means by 1 Pet 1:18, being redeemed from a a vain conversation, as Paul meaneth here ! BTW, Paul is an prime Example of the Power of the Blood of Christ effectively redeeming one out of a vain conversation and turning them into a Believer.

Also, it [Christ's Blood] redeems us from this vain conversation Eph 2:1-3

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Its by the Blood of Christ we are redeemed out of that conversation whereby we walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, fulfilling the lusts of the flesh, the desires of the flesh and of the mind.

Notice how Paul identified himself with that activity saying "we all had our conversation in times past "

What Paul meant by that was his former manner of life here Gal 1:13-14

13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Yes, all that was no more than walking in the flesh as stated here:

"walking according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind;"

Yes, that's what false religion is ! People think those words only mean, fornication and drunkenness and so forth, but they mean all religion in the flesh as well !

And Praise be to God, the Blood of Christ alone, apart from mans freewill decisions as it is falsely taught. All Glory goes to the Sovereign Working of the Cross, the Blood of Christ. If I'm a True Believer today, its because of the Redeeming Power of the Blood of Christ, redeeming me out of false religion handed down by the traditions of my fathers in the flesh ! 20

11. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    When He hath by Himself purged our sins sat down !

Heb 1:3

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

Now scripture says here plainly, of those He died for only "when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:"

What does it mean purge our sins ?

David used the word Ps 51:7

Ps 65:3

Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away.

Ps 79:9

Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name: and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name's sake.

The word here means :

I.to cover, purge, make an atonement, make reconciliation, cover over with pitch

i.
    to cover over, pacify, propitiate

ii.
    to cover over, atone for sin, make atonement for

iii.
    to cover over, atone for sin and persons by legal rites

C.
    (Pual)
    i.
    to be covered over

ii.
    to make atonement for

D.
    (Hithpael) to be covered

Notice also that the writer here links this Purging with the Salvation of God and the Glory of His Name Sake/ Christ !

Now in the text of Heb 1:3 its the word katharismos and means:

C.a cleansing from the guilt of sins wrought by the expiatory sacrifice of Christ

Guilt of sins means:

the fact or state of having committed an offense, crime, violation, or wrong, especially against moral or penal law;

conduct involving the commission of such crimes, wrongs, etc.: to live a life of guilt.

The purging here denotes therefore no condemnation for their sins and crimes against God's Holy Law, Forgiveness as here Ps 32:1

Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven , whose sin is covered or purged .

It denotes Justification from the penalty of sin, the penalty is taken away, there is no condemning guilt before God's Law that can be charged against them, for He hath purged their sins.

Christ's finished work of purging went far beyond the typical sacrifces of the People, it did what they could not do Heb 10:4

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Christ's Purging sacrifice took the peoples sins away permanently ! That's why it follows that after doing so, He sat down ! The typical priests could never set down, for their works of sacrifice for the people did not never end , evidencing the insuffiency of that economy in the things pertaining to the Glory of God and His People.

Christ's purging of the People did effect the soul of the people Heb 9:13-14

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

This is the same word purge as in Heb 1:3 !!

You see the positive effects that the Purging of Heb 1:3 has upon the objects for whom He shed His Blood for ? It purges their conscience from dead works, to serve the Living God.

Now if everyone Christ died for and purged their sins as per Heb 1:3 does not experience a conversion of life to serving the True and Living God, its an defect and failure on the Christ's Blood behalf and God's Glory has been jeopardized !

12. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    When He hath by Himself purged our sins sat down !2

Now who is the writer referring to here in Heb 1:3

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

Well the same word is used here but its purify Titus 2:14

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify G2511 unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

This is the Church, For Titus whom the book of Titus was written to Titus 1:1-4

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

3 But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;

4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

So Titus 2:14 applies to him as a Gentile Titus 2:14

14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

The same word in Heb 1:3 as purge ! So who are the " Our sins" in Heb 1:3 ? Its the Church and also its Heb 2:16-17

16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

The Our sins is the Seed of Abraham, which is also the Church Gal 3:29

29 And if ye be Christ's,[Church] then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Remember Jesus is Heir in Heb 1:2-3

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

He purged the sins of the Heirs together with Him, His Church, The Seed of Abraham.

The Church is the Wife of the Husband Christ who is Heir. You know Peter wrote of the Christian Husband and Wife this 1 Pet 3:7

7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Now all this was to show the connection of the Seed of Abraham and the Church as being the same People whom it refers to as Our Sins in Heb 1:3

Now this cannot be refuted, I dare anyone to even try without twisting scripture. !

13. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    When He hath by Himself purged our sins sat down !3

Again, who are the " Our Sins" of Heb 1:3

We showed that it was church previously and we showed and go back to that it's the Seed of Abraham, that follows within the overall context of Hebrews, written specifically to the Seed of Abraham Heb 2:16-17

16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

He took on the Seed of Abraham to make Reconciliation or Propitiation for that particular People !

Took on Him actually means Heb 2:16

16 Clearly, it is not angels that Jesus helps. He helps the people who are from Abraham. ERV

16 For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham.ESV

People say that's all ethnic jews ? That's wrong, its all believers in Christ, His Body the Church, jew or Gentile Gal 3:29

29 And if you belong to Christ [are in Him Who is Abraham’s Seed], then you are Abraham’s offspring and [spiritual] heirs according to promise. AMP

That's the Our Sins of Heb 1:3, why wouldn't be ? Who is more important to a Man than His Wife of whom He is One Flesh ? Eph 5:25-26

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Now If Christ is the Seed of Abraham Gal 3:16, then how could His Wife the Church , whom He is One flesh with, not be the Seed of Abraham ? Lets read Eph 5:30-32

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

So quite reasonably the Flesh and Blood of His Brethren here Heb 2:14

14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Abraham's Wife was actually His Sister also. Gen 20:12

12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

So Likewise, Christ the Seed of Abraham, His Wife[His Bride] is also His Brethren Heb 2:16-17

Its His Bride the Church The Seed of Abraham that is the Our Sins of Heb 1:3, and Vs 17 of Heb 2:17 is but a commentary of Heb 1:3 as well as 1 Cor 15:3.

Finally this purging of sin Heb 1:3 is a completed and accomplished work, it has noting to do with the acts or actions of those who are the Seed, it does not depend on their believing it, accepting it, their behavior or their sinful state, its a True fact even when they are in unbelief and rebellion and rejection of God. Regardless, God views them in the eyes of His Law as Not Guilty of one sin against His Law. As a result of Christ's purging our sins, it fulfills completely and finally what was only temporal and incomplete as a result of the offerings on the day of Atonement for the sins of the People Lev 16:30

30 For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the Lord.

Yes, Christ's purging of Our sins, if He died for us indeed, Gives God to view us as here indicated Col 1:22

22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

14. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    It delivers us from the power of darkness !

Col 1:12-14

12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness [Unbelief], and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Before one can Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ from the Gospel, deliverance from the power of darkness is imperative, because those who are under the power of darkness and the devil are in a lost state , and believe not the Gospel because the god of this world, while he still has power over them, blinds their minds to believe not the Gospel 2 Cor 4:3-4

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

They believe not because they are under his blinding power in the mind.

Unbelief is but a symptom of being under the power and domain of satan and darkness, not delivered. Jesus said unbelief is because of the success of the devil here Lk 8:12

Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

You see that ?

But when God delivers us first, its an translation out of one kingdom or power of darkness as Per Acts 26:18

18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive[by faith] forgiveness of sins [Acts 10:43], and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

God delivers them from the power of darkness into the Kingdom of His Dear Son, this by New Birth, then in the Kingdom of His Son Jn 3:3, we are made meet to believe the Gospel of that Kingdom.

Now who is it that shall be delivered from the power of darkness or of satan ? Its all those in Col 1:14

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

That word redemption means:

a releasing effected by payment of ransom redemption, deliverance
    liberation procured by the payment of a ransom

That's the deliverance of Col 1:13

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Yes, that's Right, Redemption that is in His Blood, delivers those it was shed for, from the power of darkness and unbelief ! 21

15. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Blessing of Abraham !

Gal 3:13-14

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

This is something the religionists in false religion will not understand, however this passage is very informative as to what the Death of Christ shall effect, for all whom He died, that is, all for whom He hath redeemed from the curse of the Law, being made a curse for them.

The word redeemed in Vs 13 means:

by payment of a price to recover from the power of another, to ransom, buy off
    metaph. of Christ freeing the elect from the dominion of the Mosaic Law at the price of his vicarious death

to buy up, to buy up for one's self, for one's use

Lets highlight the definition " To recover from the power of another"

This is important because one of the consequences of the curse of the law is to be under the power of the devil, and an consequence of that is Unbelief 2 Cor 4:3-4

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Yes being blinded to the Gospel that we believe not, is because one is under the power of the devil !

Listen, if one refuses to believe the Glorious Gospel of Christ, its because they are under the power of the devil, simple as that !

Now lets return to our text Gal 3:13-14, the purpose of the Death of Christ, and the Results God intended thereby, was that by His Death redeeming everyone He died for from the curse of the Law, it was in order that [hina] denoting purpose, the Blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles through Faith !

That word come in come upon is the greek word givnomai and it means:

to become, i.e. to come into existence, begin to be, receive beingto become, i.e. to come to pass, happen of events

It was for the purpose of causing something to happen, to bring about something that did not exist , to be performed, wrought

to become, be made

What this is talking about is New Birth, to become a New Creation. This is the result of having been Redeemed from the curse of the Law, solely by the Death of Christ !

16. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Blessing of Abraham ! 2

So Christ's death was intended to Redeem those He died for from the curse of the Law, which was the Seed of Abraham, and by doing that, it was for the Purpose of the Gentiles [of the Spiritual Of Abraham] That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit

Notice here that Paul includes himself in this blessing, because he is speaking of a spiritual seed of Abraham who the blessing comes upon, the Spirit.

Now with this in Mind, we want to look at Two Blessings which are the Blessing of Abraham, that comes upon the Spiritual Seed of Abraham, as a result of being redeemed from the curse of the Law by Christ's Death alone !

The First blessing is Justification by Faith. That's Right, God Justifying those Christ died for is a promise blessing of Abraham.

It was Preached to Abraham in the Gospel Gal 3:8

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Notice here " Justification through Faith" is something promised He would do. In other words Justification and Faith are of the same blessing. One is not Justified by God without it being Justified by Faith.

Again Rom 3:30

30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

God shall Justify the jew through Faith and the Gentile by Faith. The Faith is not the condition they must meet for God to Justify them, but it is part of the Promise of God to Justify them by and through it !

Back to Gal 3:9

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

This means that they partake of the Blessing of Abraham Gal 3:8

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Listen carefully, the blessing of Redemption from the curse Gal 3:13 is to be Justified by Faith as a Part of the Blessing of Abraham ! Not a opportunity made available to be Justified by Faith, but a sure blessing to be Justified by Faith ! That's the First blessing of Abraham !

17. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Blessing of Abraham ! 3

The Second Blessing of the Blessing of Abraham, what God meant when He said to Abraham Gen 12:3

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

The second one is the Holy Spirit and or Spiritual Life. Lets go back to Gal 3:13-14

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

That [hina purpose] we [Abraham's Spiritual Seed] might receive the PROMISE of the Spirit through Faith [Christ's Faithfulness]

It was because Christ, Abraham's Seed Gal 3:16 obeyed the Voice of His Father as a Surety Head for the Spiritual Seed of Abraham, that Seed receives the Blessing of the Spirit for Life.

Remember this incident in Gen 22:12-18

12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

15 And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,

16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:

17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Well Abraham was merely a Type of Christ in this, and its fulfillment is In Christ and His Obedience unto Death, because He obeyed the Voice of God, in Him all the Seed shall be blessed with the Blessing of Abraham which is the Spirit.

That's why as soon as Jesus Christ ascended to the Right Hand of God having conqured Death, He received from the Father THE PROMISE OF THE SPIRIT to pour out on His Seed, the Seed of Abraham Acts 2:32-33

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Yes, that was upon a Jewish Remnant of the Spiritual Seed of Abraham, but we know He did it also upon a Gentile Remnant of the Seed of Abraham Titus 3:5-6

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; Or through Faith, His Faithfulness !

Titus to whom Paul wrote the Letter to was an Gentile Pastor of a Church.

So all for whom Christ died, and redeemed from the curse of the Law, it was in order that through Christ they shall be Justified by Faith and that they shall be given the Spirit, New Life, New Birth.

This must happen to everyone Christ died for, if it doesn't, the scriptures are false and unreliable in its Testimony in this Matter. Those who teach that Christ died for individuals who subsequently die in unbelief and their sins as Per Jn 8:24, they are calling God a Liar, Christ's Redeeming Death a Lie, The Spirit a Lie, the Scriptures a Lie ! 21

18. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Blessing of Abraham ! 4

Scripture shall always collaborate scripture for those who have eyes to see ! We have previously showed that Two distinct blessings result from being redeemed from the curse of the Law as a result of Christ being made a curse for them Gal 3:13-14

These Two Blessings consisit of the Blessing of Abraham to come upon all for whom Christ died and redeem from the curse of the Law, one being Justification by Faith Gal 3:8-9

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

And the other, the Holy Spirit of Promise and or Spiritual Life. The Spirit is the Author of Life Jn 6:63

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Now another scripture that teaches the same is Gal 2:19

19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that=hina I might live unto God.

Paul is saying, that he by means of being dead to the law by the body of Christ, dead to its curse and power, by the Christ redeeming him from the Law, was that he may live [spiritually] unto God. Life is the result of being redeemed from the curse of the Law by Christ being made a curse for him. Where there is no curse, Life must be granted !

Pauls death or being dead to the Law is in order that, for the purpose of causing them to Live unto God.

The same truth is here Rom 7:4

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

This is the Blessing of Abraham ! 21

19. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Produces Life unto God /Righteousness !

1 Pet 2:24

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that/hina purpose we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

If the end result was not or is not, living unto Righteousness or by Faith in the Imputed Righteousness of Christ, then there is absolutely no certainty that Christ died for us, or as stated here "By His own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree"

And healed us. That word healed Iaomai means:

to cure, heal
    to make whole to free from errors and sins, to bring about (one's) salvation

That to bring about one's Salvation means a Life of Righteousness unto God, a Life of Faith !

If that does not happen to everyone sins He bare in His Body on the Tree, then we are calling Christ's Death an absolute failure in the Purpose of God ! 21

20. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    The World of His Sheep or Church

Christ states that by His Death , meaning by it alone, He gives Life to the World, of course He means by that the world of His Sheep or His Body the Church, which He Loved and gave Himself for Eph 5:25

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

But what we shall see from scripture is that by giving His Life unto the World, He is actually giving life to the world He intends it for. Jn 6:33

33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

Now who can deny what is stated by Christ here ? He is giving [present active participle] life [spiritual] to the World [of His Church]

This is not an offer of life. The word giveth is δίδωμι

with the force of to cause, produce, give forth from oneself. He is the Author and Cause of it, for the Gift of God is Eternal Life through Jesus Christ !

Now lets read in the same Chapter Jn 6:48-51

48 I am that bread of life.

49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.

50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Now what is the Bread that He shall give ? Its His Flesh or His Body, and how does He give it ? He gave it as a Sacrifice for sin 1 Pet 2:24 for the sins of His Sheep World, for He died on behalf of them, for the sake of them, so in turn they receive Life Jn 6:33

33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

His Life given for them, gives them life out of Him or from Him; Now this cannot be denied, and so by this His Death alone communicates unto them Life, Eternal Life ! Jesus says it right here Jn 10:10-11,28

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.