1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the attributes of god

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

lol
    Well, how am I supposed to completely remove the knowledge of Van's misunderstanding of the term from my knowledge...oh wait...I get it. You mean the real definition. :)

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misdirection

Remember no more, blot out, all have the same meaning. Something that was known is put out of memory, i.e blotted out.

And as I said before, I have no need to "prove" my position, my position is clearly stated in scripture in verse after verse. Those on the other side need to "prove" or at least provide scripture which says God cannot limit His knowledge according to His purpose. No scripture will be forthcoming.

If you are keeping score, "remember no more" means remember no more. Blotted out means blotted out.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Lo, for my own welfare I had great bitterness;
    It is You who has kept my soul from the pit of nothingness,
    For You have cast all my sins behind Your back."
    (Isaiah 38:17 NASB)

Now here is an example of a figurative phrase, God casting our sins behind His back. But the figurative phrase conveys the same idea, something that was "before God" something that He was aware of, God puts behind Him, out of sight, or blotted out or remembered no more. The literal meaning is God limits His knowledge according to His purpose.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "He will again have compassion on us;
    He will tread our iniquities under foot
    Yes, You will cast all their sins
    Into the depths of the sea."
    Micah 7:19 NASB

Another figurative phrase, casting out sin into the depths of the sea. But the meaning is clear, something known is relegated to the unknown by the action of God according to His purpose. Verse after verse, folks, verse after verse.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "'In those days and at that time,' declares the LORD, 'search will be made for the iniquity of Israel, but there will be none; and for the sins of Judah, but they will not be found; for I will pardon those whom I leave as a remnant." Jeremiah 50:20 NASB

Verse after verse, folks, verse after verse.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
    And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind."
    Isaiah 65:17

The "former troubles" are hid from God's sight. Verse after verse....

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Standing, standing, standing on the promises of God....

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Ok, but "put out of memory" would be just like "remember no more" which doesn't equal no knowledge of. Again, you have not proved that "remember no more" means "no knowledge of."

#108 jbh28, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
  9. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Thanks for another verse to prove my point. The "former things" will not be remembered or come to mind as I have been saying. Not having no knowledge of.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, picture knowing something that never comes to mind. :)

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks did you now I have total omniscience, yes, just like God. Only difference is all my infinite knowledge never comes to mind! :)

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Sorry, but you don't. You have no knowledge of where I'm at. But nice try. Have you even looked up the word in the dictionary?

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Searching, searching, I am searching for my knowledge that never comes to mind. :)

Me thinks they protest too much :)

14. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

it was never in your mind. Big difference. the word remember means that it was in your mind at one time. It means you have the knowledge of it and bringing it to your mind. You can't remember something that you have no knowledge of in the first place. And you can remember no more things you do have the knowledge of, but not bringing it to mind.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the number of hairs on your head, Jbh28, I just can't bring that knowledge to mind.
    Can you not comprehend that the idea of knowledge that cannot be brought to mind is the absense of knowledge? Why not accept the words of the God of truth.

16. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Sorry, but you never knew the numbers of hairs on my head.

It's not the definition of the word and not what the Bile says. It never says the knowledge completely goes away.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If knowledge never comes to mind, that is close enough for me to say the knowledge completely goes away. :))

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

But an assumption none the less. Point being, you cannot prove that the knowledge completely goes away. Saying it does here completely removes the passage from its intended meaning.

Of course we say expressions like this all the time. Forgive and forget. But really, does the event ever really leave or knowledge? No. We may never remember it again, but I'm sure it could be brought back to your attention. With our sins, they will never be brought back to the attention of God because they are no longer going against us.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A day or two ago I was going to make a post using the word "antinomianism." I forgot the word. It was in the "hard-drive" of my mind, but my "memory" could not access it. All I could think of was "no-law," or chaos. Today, as you see above, I remembered the word. It was there all the time. I just needed to be able to access it. Sometimes we can't because of tiredness, fatigue, stress, or just a simple mental block. God doesn't have any of those. He deliberately "forgets", an anthropormorphism, to relate to man that he is not going to remember them any longer. He is not going to put them to our account any longer.

Thus Romans 8:1:
    "There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Jesus Christ."
    If he remembered our sins (judicially) there would be condemnation, but he doesn't.
    Realistically, he knows about them, but judicially they are wiped off the record.

When I go to court for a crime committed, I must pay the penalty for that crime. If the penalty is a fine, then the crime is wiped out. It is paid for. The record is clear. A prisoner pays for his crime in jail and then after his time is finished he gets out. No longer is he a prisoner to his crime. He is cleared from it. The penalty is paid for. In all these situations the previous crimes will be on record and "remembered," but judicially they will be forgotten, because they are paid for.

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

A very well reasoned and plausible explanation. :thumbsup:

So, why do I have the feeling it will not suffice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.