1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Baptist Name

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The community and no its not so tall of an order

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were convinced that removing the name "Baptist" from our church name would make a positive impact on our community then I would certainly consider it as long as we remained Baptist and in the GARBC.

One thing I do know - there would be an insurrection at my local church if it were suggested and brought to a vote.

Our local church has been in existence for 110 years.
    Some of our people are the descendants of the original membership.

HankD

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So by the community, you mean the community/area in which the church is located and trying to reach? If so, then do you mean the name should be relevant to the Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, homosexuals, or whomever is there you are trying to reach?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will answer - yes.

Luke 14:21 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.

If it would help in keeping His wish, then yes.

HankD

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If yes, then what do you do when the church name picked that is relevant Catholics is not relevant to Muslims, and the name relevant to Muslims is not relevant to Buddhists, and the name relevant to Buddhists is not relevant to atheists, and the name relevant to atheists is not relevant to homosexuals ,and the name relevant to homosexuals is not relevant to whoever?

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I see what you are asking - IMO that kind of relevancy is not relevant :)

Let's say our local church is on Elm street - so

Elm Street Church.

Not that I am convinced that would help. Just an example.

HankD

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. Yes, that clears it up. Maybe that is kind of what RevMitchell means as well.

My understanding of relevancy is why I described naming a church based on relevancy a "pretty tall order".

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put the name "Church" in the title. Put a cross on the building or the church's sign.

Buddhists go to temples, not churches.
    Muslims go to mosques, not churches.
    Jews go to synagogue, not churches.
    Atheists don't go to churches.

It's not that difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those trying to be relevant to Buddhists, Muslims, Jews and atheists it might be.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about - The Church of the Open Door?

HankD

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok I have no idea why you are talking about buddists and homosexuals. I am talking about just people without knowledge of those lifestyle choices.

12. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quick look on the www shows a Church of Satan, in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. This was founded by Anton Lavey, now deceased. He still has a following. There is also a website called church of satan.

Another interesting surf: synagogue of satan.

Satan is alive and well on planet earth, still trying to defile The Bride of Christ.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are talking about "just people" to whom you suggest churches make their names relevant. How will they make the church name relevant if you don't know who they are?

14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if they don't like "the open door"? :eek:

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The name of the church is usually associated with location mixed with something biblical. For instance there is an SBC Church that is just Waterstone Church. Ours is FBC Sanlando Springs. Our problem is the area is no longer Sanlando Springs. Within a 5 mile radius we encompass 4 different towns. We are currently considering a name change. something like Cornerstone Family Church. The reason for that is Christ is our cornerstone, and our vision statement is "building strong families for Christ". If we do change it we will include, on the sign, that we are a member of the SBC. Our doctrine will be a primary teaching in the new members classes.

Not sure what any of that other stuff would have to do with it.

16. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. That's makes it clearer now, that you are not using the relevant as I had supposed you meant it earlier.

17. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An interesting surf: "The birth and growth of the Baptist Missionary Association in America". thefreelibrary.com. Read about: SBC, BGA, BMA, BMAA, BSC and BGCT--probably more.

My take: Baptist schisms since before the Civil War were about racism and misuse of funds, not necessarily purity of doctrine.

There are serious doctrinal issues today: open communion, ecumenism, mission boards, music, discipline, etal. These are doctrinal issues which have made schisms, rightly so, since a little leaven leavens the whole lump.

Many Baptists still have a race problem.

Bro. James

18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From someone who has been in both the BMAA and ABA -- which split in 1950 -- I'd say there wasn't really a dime's worth of difference in their positions. Much of it boiled down to offenses among leading personalities that couldn't be resolved. I don't mean to trivialize some of what were real disagreements, but average folks should have been able to work out such disagreements -- offended leaders couldn't or wouldn't.

19. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Schisms from funding issues seldom get resolved even after several generations. The real issue is Church autonomy, with filthy lucre close behind. Then there is respect of persons.

Bro. James

20. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My opinion is the main sticking point is usually power, control or ownership. A Baptist association can split over anything, but if the association has/owns/are invested in something -- such as a seminary, missionary system -- they will fight to the death over who controls it.

Maybe that's a good way to identify Baptists, regardless of the name on the building! :Unsure