1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The beginning of the church in light of baptist bridism

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Daniel David, Jun 7, 2004.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A distinction in your theology, perhaps; but the gospels clearly mark Judas as an apostle, Acts records that his office another would take, and both Dr. Luke and you agree that someone else (who were called apostles) took that office, though you differ on who that was.
    Your original contention that "the gifts were not given until after the resurrection" was in specific reference to a verse that mentions, for example, "gifts of healing" (see p. 2, where you were trying to prove chronology in regard to I Cor. 12). Yet no matter how you play it or dispensationalize it, there were disciples of Jesus clearly given the gift of healing before the time you advocate.
    That explanation might possibly cover if we were just talking about Luke recording the historical event on one occasion. But he goes on in ch. 6 to clearly identify a collective "twelve". Were they the twelve or were they not? God so identifies them. He inspired Luke to call them that. I don't think we can pass that off as of little consequence.

So the disciples, gathered in Jerusalem according to the Lord's command, at least some of whom had received the Spirit, who were in one accord with prayer and supplication both before and after the the disastrous deed of Peter (to which they all complied), whom God poured out His Spirit of power on after the disastrous deed, never comprehended their mistake, and Luke recorded it for posterity (under inspiration) with no hint that anything was amiss?? Astounding.

Oh, and it seems that even when Paul mentions the twelve (I Cor. 15:5), he writes in such a way as to not include himself.
    I recall that you have said this, but don't recall that you have shown it to be so.
    I don't know of anyone who questions the official condition of Matthias who does not feel he must do so in order to protect the predetermined birth of the church at Pentecost idea. I just can't comprehend the soundness of exegesis of finding fault with an event that an inspired writer records without disapproval (and builds upon).

Finally, I would hope you would comment on a question by Mark that got lost in the fray - in which assembly did Christ sing?

2. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

But the Bible says,

"But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized both men and women. Then Simon himself believed also."

So you think Simon believed something different than the other Samaritans? Do think Simon, like the devils of which James spake, only had a fearful belief in one God? And you are going to accuse me of not studying the Bible?

[​IMG]

Mark Osgatharp

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Simon was lost. It isn't your ability to read Mark. It is your ability to understand. Note that Peter tells him that he is still bound in sin. Yeah, just like Jesus said in John 8 - if the Son sets you free, you will still be bound in sin.

I suppose it is your hyper-arminianism that causes you so much confusion.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

rlvaughn:

1. regarding the office of apostle.

A. When Christ chose his 12, they would eventually BECOME the apostles (the official office of which has authority over the members of the churches). This is the distinction. How can you not see it? Doesn't Paul claim apostolic authority? If that is just a messenger, he wouldn't have authority. No, on the contrary, there is an office of Apostle.

2. Concerning gifts.

A. My explanation still stands. People have performed healings, etc., thousands of years prior to the coming of Christ. That doesn't mean it was a gift of the Spirit like those given to the church.

3. Concerning Matthias.

A. Again, it isn't a problem that he is mentioned and even numbered. Peter honestly thought he was doing the right thing. Apparently the others did too. The fact remains that the office needed to be fulfilled, and Christ specifically appeared to Paul to CHOOSE him to be the final apostle. Call it whatever you want, but Christ made his choice.

4. Concerning the assembly.

A. A church is simply an assembly. There was no doubt an assembly with Christ. However, Christ's church, HIS BODY, would be marked off by the baptism with the Spirit. Note that Eph. 1 specifically states that the Church is his body and that Christ became the head sometime after his ascension.

5. Mark Osgatharp

Simon was a baptized believer. The people who Jesus said would be made free were believers. He said,

"Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If you continue in my word then are you my disciples indeed and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

No one is freed from sin simply because he is born again; if that were the case saved people would never sin at all. Freedom from the power of sin comes as a believer grows in grace and knowledge and learns to obey Christ. That is what believing Simon had to learn.

Mark Osgatharp

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Wrong. How silly.

Note that even in context, Simon's belief was mentioned apart from the others.

Read all of John 8. Those Jews who "believed" on Christ, Christ called the children of satan a few verses later. Sorry about that. I recommend reading the whole context.

When a person gets saved, he is given a new nature, the old nature is crucified, sin has no more dominion, and the believer is free to grow in righteousness.

I recommend reading Dr. Paul Tarsus in Romans 6-8 and Galatians 5-6. Thanks. Oh, he wasn't a Baptist Brider, but his work is still good.

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reread the gospel accounts of the apostles. The inspired writers do not say these would eventually become apostles, but, for example "the names of the twelve apostles are these:" (Matt. 10:2; see also Mark 3:13ff; Luke 6:12ff). It seems that perhaps in addition to labouring under the idea that a church couldn't exist with Christ the head present, you are also labouring under the misconception that Matthias and Paul could not have both been apostles.
    Stands how? Your original statement, that there were no gifts before Pentecost, has been shown several times to be lacking in support. They had gifts and Christ gave them to them (before Pentecost).
    It is not that he is mentioned or numbered - it is that God by inspiration names a collective "twelve" (apostles) in Acts 6 that includes Matthias. It comes down to something so simple as that either God is wrong or you are.
    So are you saying you believe in two churches - one that was with Christ before Pentecost, and one that existed after Pentecost?? In which one did Christ sing?

8. Mark Osgatharp

Actually, Simon's belief was mentioned in conjunction with the others.

A reading of the whole context proves that the Jews who believed on Christ were not the same Jews who objected to Jesus statement. It could not be said of a believer in Jesus that he is a child of Satan or that Christ's word has no place in him.

I just don't see were you get the idea that "believed" really means "did not believe."

This is true so far as potential goes, but it is something we must put into practice. As Jesus told the believing Jews, "if you continue in my word..."

You mean the part where he commanded believers to,

"Walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh."

Or the part where he warned them not to be,

"entangled again with the yoke of bondage."

Both of which passages prove that it is entirely possible for a believer to be in spiritual bondage if he does not walk in the Spirit. That was exactly the case of Simon.

Mark Osgatharp

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Mark, just wondering if you ever read this verse:

Galatians 5:24
    Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

We could debate the merits of believing whether or not that Simon was saved another time. It doesn't have anything to do with the OP. I was simply offering an explaination of what it meant and the significance of what Jesus said when he "breathed" the Holy Spirit upon the disciples.

10. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

rlvaughn, I don't know that much more can be said. Either you don't get what I am saying, or I fail to see how I haven't answered you already.

1. Concerning the gifts.

A. The gifts of the Holy Spirit given to the CHURCH were not given until after the resurrection sometime. This doesn't rule out others doing healings, etc.

2. Concerning Matthias.

A. Alot of Scripture RECORDS events without giving approval to them (Moses and the rock, David and Bethsheba, etc).

3. Concerning the word "church".

A. A church is just an assembly. It doesn't even have to be religious to be a church. So there was an assembly with Christ. However, his church, his body, started at Pentecost.

Now, when you or Mark, or anyone else would like to address the N.T. use of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, the clear references to it in Gal. 3, Rom. 6, I Cor. 12, Eph. 1, 2, 4, and 5, etc., then this discussion can continue.

11. Mark Osgatharp

Yes, I have read that verse. In fact, I just preached on it week before last as I preached through the whole book of Galatians. So I have also read the following verse which says,

"If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."

Being alive in the Spirit is a fact for every believer. Walking in the Spirit is an obligation of the believer which he may or may not perform; which is why a believer can be, as was believing Simon, practically speaking in bondage to sin.

Mark Osgatharp

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly your opinion is governed by when you think the church started. There is nothing in the verse itself (Eph. 4:8) that excludes gifts also being given before the resurrection.

Surely you can't fail to miss that God could have recorded the event of Acts 6 without He Himself classifying Matthias as part of the twelve.

Of course, the two examples you give are not of the same nature as Acts 1 anyway, considering the Scriptures do give disapproval to both Moses' smiting of the Rock and David & Bathsheba's adultery.

We have no real difference of opinion of the basic meaning of the word "ekklesia". But to assign the disciples who walked with Christ while He was upon the earth to no more than an assembly that doesn't even have to be religious borders on ridiculous.

Perhaps when you or anyone else would give something more than just naming the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and some verses, but rather explain how you believe they prove the church started on Pentecost, the discussion can continue.