1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Beginnings of the New Testament Association

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Squire Robertsson, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I had the privilege of meeting and hearing Bro. Cedarholm when I was in college in Kentucky.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One description of Papa Doc was "Baptist Moses." This came about as he all but glowed, in summers, with his white hair, Kentucky Colonel white suite, and fair Swedish complexion.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another good article. Thanks.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That article reads like "Old Home Week."

I was a member of R.V. Clearwater's church in Minneapolis. (Fourth Baptist)

I was a member of Warren Defoe Jr.'s church. (Windsor Baptist)

I was a member of Dr. Mustric's church in Rockford (First Baptist) (Dr. Mustric was an Optomatrist, not a ThD or DMin)

I knew Richard Weeks and B. Myron Cedarholm from Maranatha.

And Monroe Parker from Pillsbury and BWM.

Good article. Can't wait for the next installment. :)

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excerpt from a tract called "Stand Therefore...Girt With Truth" (about the New Testament Association of Independent Baptist Churches) sent to me by Virgil Arrowood circa 1985.

"A growing concern that an unashamedly Biblical, Baptistic, separatistic, pre-tribulational, pre-millenial Association of Churches be in existence led a group of pastors and laymen within the framework of the Conservative Baptist Association of America to consider such a new association in the early 1960’s.

"In the fall of 1964, a call to discuss an Association brought many pastors and laymen to Marquette Manor Baptist Church in Chicago. Temporary organization called for a committee of 21 to formulate plans and report in Denver.

"May 28, 1965, messengers representing churches met at Beth Eden Baptist Church in Denver. Action was taken to adopt provisionally a Constitution and Confession of Faith.

"In Indianapolis, at Eagledale Baptist Church, on June 10, 1966, the New Testament Association of Independent Baptist Churches was formally organized with 27 churches affiliating. Since that time, additional churches have affiliated."

The 2000-2001 Directory that I have lists 128 affiliated churches. Their influence is somewhat larger than that, I'd guess, due to these churches relating to other churches in state associations/fellowships which fellowship together but do not affiliate directly with the national body.

[Note: some materials I've seen give the Eagledale meeting in 1965, but the 1966 year in the above excerpt agrees with the date in Bauder' blog article.]

#6 rlvaughn, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017