1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The best books for False Converts

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "As he sees no need to change his life."

There's only one response to this: he can't change his life, but He can.

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the worst thing you could do is simply hand someone a bible to read. It was not written to unbelievers.

You hand that guy a bible only, and there is probably a 99.98% chance that he will simply read it through the lens of what he's already been taught.

How shall the believe unless they HEAR?

Think Ethiopian eunuch. He had the "bible", and could not understand it until it was explained.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you both are saying that the very Word of God is insufficient to bring about salvation? You need another book - you need another person - one cannot be saved by reading the Bible? Wow.

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Books written by authors who are as liable to get it wrong as not?

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would your hero, Paul Washer do?

And so we began. I began in the Old Testament, the New Testament, every verse of Scripture dealing with the promises of God regarding redemption and salvation, over and over, time after time, reading John 3:16, praying for a while, crying out to God, questioning the man regarding repentance, regarding faith, regarding assurance—working till Christ be formed in him.
    And then finally, just exhausted that evening, there was no breakthrough; there was nothing. And I said, “Sir, let’s pray.” And we prayed.I said, “Sir, read John 3:16 again.”He said, “We have read this a million times.”I said, “I know, but it is one of the greatest promises of salvation. Read that text again.”

And I will never forget it. He had my Bible on his lap in those big mountainous hands of his and he said, “OK.” He said,“For God so loved the world, that He gave...—I’m saved. I’m saved! Brother Paul, all my sins are gone! I have eternal life! I’m saved!” I said, “How do you know?”He said, “Haven’t you ever read this verse before?”

http://www.sermonaudio.com/viewtranscript.asp?sermonid=102308839520&loc=40879

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couldn't disagree with you more. I listened to an old James White interview with a guy named Peter. Peter is from somewhere in the Middle East. He was a Muslim. Somehow a New Testament fell on his hands with no human explaining anything to him. He read all the way through Matthew when he was convinced Jesus is the Savior and Lord. He continued all the way through the New Testament and I suppose all the way through the Old. Now he is a faithful witness of the Gospel to Muslims.

"A Bible only"? What a deplorable thing to say.

Believe me --unbelievers need to read the Bible. Out here I give them to only unbelievers!

7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a nice philosophy, but it doesn't have any scriptural support. I already referenced the Ethiopian eunuch, and you didn't respond.

Also look at all the times Paul went to the synagogues delivering bibles. Oh, wait. He didn't do that at all. He went and explained the scriptures to them.

Jesus said:
    "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me"

I went through the same thing. I had a bible I read faithfully, highlighting and making notes. After I became a believer, I thumbed through that bible and couldn't even remember reading half the stuff I highlighted.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the message of the Gospel was not intended for the lost to hear, only the saved?

That message, of the birth/death/resurrection of Jesus for sinners IS the heart of the bible!

And the Bible ALONE has the promise that the Holy spirit will speak to the lost, will remove the scales from their herats/minds when they read/hear it!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess jesus erred himself, as he sent out the Apostles, and all of us since then ONLY with the Bible as the book to give to sinners and saints alike!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess some here see human writers better able to understand and make sense of what the Bible teaches then the author of the bible, the Holy Spirit Himself!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the pamplets from John Ackerberg would do nicely, but also make sure he reads the Bible!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite convicting, in a good sense!

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put a scripture reference with your view. I've provided a direct scenario and the words of Jesus, and all you've provided is an opinion.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ENTIRE Bible can be quoted, as it A:ONE is the revealtion from God, to both the lost and the saved!

15. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So tell me the book, chapter and verse for that scripture you just quoted