1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the best college

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by lynn, May 1, 2001.

1. lynn

lynn Guest

I think that the best college to go to is "Hyles-Anderson" college. They stand for the KJV bible, have a dress code, and have convictions. I consider this to be the #1 college.

2. Blade

Blade New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lynn:
    I think that the best college to go to is "Hyles-Anderson" college. They stand for the KJV bible, have a dress code...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah! Two scriptural requirements to be a good (never mind the best) school. There are many here who disagree. As far as Christian institutions, I would put it toward the bottom of my list.

Just my opinion,

3. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blade:
    Ah! Two scriptural requirements to be a good (never mind the best) school. There are many here who disagree. As far as Christian institutions, I would put it toward the bottom of my list.

Just my opinion,
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blade, I think I would have to agree with you on that one. I know too many people who have gone there and too much about what they teach to ever recommend the school to anyone.

Trevor

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Let me see if I have captured the spirit of these posts: "The college I went to is the best one and the college you went to is the worst one."

How am I doing?

5. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    Let me see if I have captured the spirit of these posts: "The college I went to is the best one and the college you went to is the worst one."

How am I doing?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't gone to a Christian college

6. Blade

Blade New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    Let me see if I have captured the spirit of these posts: "The college I went to is the best one and the college you went to is the worst one."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon Dr. Cassidy,

You know that when someone says Hyles-Anderson College is the best college, we can't just leave that alone! :D (BTW, I do have my reasons for why.)

Besides, I did say that it was "just my opinion."

Still just my opinion,

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right in thinking of "Hyles-Anderson" and "college" as oxymorons. A visit to the FFF (see link) will show you hundreds of "survivors" who are in therapy for all that happened to them.

Suppose that could be said of almost all legalistic and autocratic style bible colleges, though. I've seen support groups for Bob Jones and Pensacola, so it's not restricted to fundamental Baptists, either.
    http://jackhyles.net/bforum.mv

8. DocCas

DocCas New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    I've seen support groups for Bob Jones and Pensacola, so it's not restricted to fundamental Baptists, either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, and there are many graduates of all three colleges that are will prepared for the ministry and doing an excellent job for the Lord. Not every college is suited for every student. Contrary to popular opinion, one size does not fit all! [​IMG]

9. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Thomas,

I actually agree with your above statement, and it also goes in both directions. Some students in a school like Hyles-Anderson may have done better at a less strict school, and some of the KJV-Only students with cult-follower mentalities causing trouble at schools like BJU, MBBC, etc., should have gone to Hyles. Here is needed a dose of what Paul said in his letter to Philippians--that he could rejoice that Christ is being preached, even if some preach out of wrong attitudes.

Chick

10. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I am of the opinion that a Bible College will produce a graduate who is no better or worse than the local church he comes from. If a person is well grounded in the word in his local church the college will not hurt him too much. If a person comes from a church which understands the gospel well enough to know that a prayer does not save you, the hyper-evangelism (for lack of a better term) of Hyles-Anderson will probably not do him much harm. And, on the other hand, if a person comes from a solid local church background colleges like BJU and Pensacola will probably not be able to distroy his belief in the primacy of the local church. Every school has strong points and weak points. As long as the school uses its strong points to build up the weakness of the student, and the student is strong in those areas the school is weak, all will be well. However, if the student is weak in the same areas the school is weak, he will never gain the strength he will need to stand in those areas.

[​IMG]

11. superdave

superdave New Member

Sounds good Dr. C.

I guess that's why that Liberal MBBC didn't ruin me huh! ;)

Seriously, My Church's entire pastoral staff went to BJU, they are all strong local church, pretrib, dispensationalists. Clones are not the only output of those schools.

Bottom,Line
    The School y'all went to is not all that great, mines the best ;) I guess school spirit is good?

12. fcuozzo

fcuozzo Guest

I believe that there are many excellent Fundamental Colleges out there. Some are older and more established schools and then there are several newer schools that are just getting off the ground. I think it is great that the Lord is allowing some Churches and men of God to have the vision and see the need to train more servants. My 20 year old son is attending Crown College in Powell, Tennessee and I am very impressed with the work of Dr. Clarence Sexton and his staff. The Temple Baptist Church is a great Church and the College is a ministry of the Church. It is 10 years old now and some of the schools graduates are out serving fulltime as Pastors, Missionaries and Youth Pastors etc. I think you will be hearing alot about this school and it's future graduates in the future as they have their best years ahead of them. They have the right stand on all the important Fundamentals such as Salvation, Evangelism, Missions, Church planting, KJV Bible, Separation, Local Church etc. Thank-you.

13. Blade

Blade New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank J. Cuozzo:
    They have the right stand on all the important Fundamentals such as...[the] KJV Bible...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when was the KJV Bible a Fundamental???

Sincerely,

[ May 15, 2001: Message edited by: Blade ]

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To some of us, KJVonly Bible might be a good reason not to recommend a school. I did not know that Crown (TN) holds to that position.

Just returned from Minnesota. Crown College there is fully accredited evangelical school, loosely under the auspices of the Christian Missionary Alliance. Many Baptists in the state send their kids there - it does not have the rules/regs of most ifb schools. I think it is NIV only!

Problem came up when a friend was recommending sending his christian school grads to Crown and I lambasted their lack of standards and separation -- only to find he was referring to TN.

Trust me, NOBODY up north even knows about Crown in Tennessee. Confusing to say the least.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

For training for ministry, the best college is Clear Creek Baptist Bible College in Pineville, Kentucky. (Yes, I am an alumnus :D )
    It is very conservative and unabashedly Southern Baptist. Find it at www.ccbbc.edu

16. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Crown College in Knoxville, TN is an excellent school. Bro Sexton is a humble servant of God. However their obsession w/ the KJV taints them IMHO. They should allow for the updated versions.
    By the way, I have heard of this school, and I live in NYC, which for those of you who are geographically challenged, is in the North! ;) In fairness, however, most of my pastor friends are from the Bible-belt!! :eek:

17. Biblethumper1611

Biblethumper1611 New Member

Personally the Best IFB college in my opinion is West Coast Baptist college. They have what I would say the best blend of ministry philosophy and strong doctrinal preaching and teaching. They ephasis systematic Expository preaching of the Bible. They step away from commentaries like Rice by substituting Weirsbe and Pink and John Phillips. you can check them out at http://www.westcoastbaptist.edu

18. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

West Coast Baptist College was founded by their Pastor, Dr. Paul Chappell. Although he's too KJV, I met him when he was here in NYC last week, and found him to be a very gifted humble preacher and very impressive. I can't speak for the school per se, but as far as the school's founder is concerned, it is very likely an excellent school.

19. tlange

tlange New Member

I think that Trinity Baptist College is a good school, notice I did not say the best, because everyones educational needs are different. I enjoyed my time at Trinity and learned a great deal. It was founded by Dr. Bob Gray in 1974, he is now a missionary to Germany. The college was accredited recently by TRACS. The president is Tom Messer and the Exec VP is Dr. Charles Shoemaker.

Yes, the school is KJVO and local church!

20. extremebiblereader

extremebiblereader New Member

Well I think Hyles Anderson is a good college to attend. But I guess it really doesn't matter where you go as long as they teach the truth. And they are teaching you the same thing as like preaching the salvation message or something like that. So there actually is no school that is better than another...there all good and equal to one another. That is just my opinion. If I was gonna refer a school to someone I would refer, BJU or HAC, or KBI just few off the top of my head