1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Best Kaw-fee

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Dec 16, 2018.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know another is Chicory and back in the day my mother drank (hold on to your hats)... Postum!... (Now Jon is definitely going to give me the boot)... Brother Glen:Biggrin

#21 tyndale1946, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good in bbq sauce as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best I remember Postum was a necessary and popular substitute during World War II when coffee was rationed. I think my parents drank it some during that time.

Perhaps straying a little too far from the OP, but Postum can still be purchased (HERE).

#23 rlvaughn, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's the way my Dad always made his. He used the old style percolater coffee maker, that was the key.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Ahhhhh, This is What Wholesome Tastes Like

Take a look at the label and you’ll see why Postum is a coffee replacement you can feel good about.

First, you’ll appreciate what’s in it: Roasted wheat bran, wheat and molasses. That’s it. These simple, natural ingredients are all we need to produce our signature, full-bodied flavor.

You’ll also like what’s NOT in Postum. There’s no caffeine to cause potential sleeplessness, high blood pressure or digestive problems. You won’t find any preservatives, sodium or genetically modified foods, either. Postum is proud to have earned the Non-GMO Project Verified seal from the Non-GMO Project.

By keeping to our original 1895 recipe, we’ve maintained a wholesome approach to coffee alternatives from a simpler time."

Wow, I can remember having it when I was a kid but never knew what it was exactly (it wasn't a staple at our house).

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we don't use the Keurig for some reason a percolator is what we use. Eight O'clock coffee, hmm, hmm.

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chicory seems to be a favorite with my Louisiana friends. Community Coffee, a Louisiana brand, makes a blend of coffee and chicory.
    [​IMG]
    I remember drinking some when I was a kid too. It wasn't something my mother bought regularly. If memory serves it may have been something like, "We used to have to buy this when coffee was rationed, so let's buy some for the nostalgia and so our kids will know." (My parents didn't and wouldn't say this, but that is just kind of my interpretation of why I think they bought it. Either that, or maybe there was another time they were having trouble affording coffee, a distinct possibility.)
    We recently bought some of the Eight O'clock Hazelnut, because a friend had some and we thought it was pretty good.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rotate among brands/flavors. Caribou, Starbucks, and Dunkin' Donut. Lately my go to is a mix of 1/2 Starbucks Breakfast Blend with 1/2 Starbucks House Blend.

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone grind their own coffee?

Never have, but wonder if it makes a real difference in taste?

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...what’s in it: Roasted wheat bran, wheat and molasses..."

...definitely not lo-carb, eh?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have done it in the past. It does make a difference, but the convenience of pre-ground wins out for me.

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do sometimes. I think it makes some difference, but like InTheLight I opt for the convenience of already ground unless what I want isn't readily available in ground.

13. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

You fellas have flung a craving' on me! I ordered a bag of Death Wish and a bag of Lavazza dark for a treat. I normally drink Folgers med-dark, only because it is cheapest. I used to drink Community Dark roast until it became too high for daily consumption.

I've never had Postum. I did hear of an old guy years ago who, while visiting, asked for coffee. The lady of the house said she had Postum, and he requested a cup. He took a sip, handed the cup back and said, "Sister, I appreciate this just as much as if I could drink it." :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The best is Cafe Bustelo aka rocket fuel.

upload_2018-12-17_12-16-30.jpeg

Take a few sips at 2pm and you're good for a few more hours.

Attached Files:

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of coffee I want to tell you all this story.... Everyone who drinks coffee is familiar with the old time coffee urn... It makes about 30 plus cups of coffee... My dad who was a deacon at that time usually got to church early and made the coffee but you know how it is getting kids ready for church... And we were late and being our also lunch day he prided himself on making the coffee... Well when we got there one of the deacons told my dad I got it covered, I made the coffee!... Dad said well Brother Joe you don't drink coffee... What's that go to do with anything Brother Joe replied?... I still made the coffee!... About that time our preacher Bob who loved his morning cup of coffee, got his cup and poured himself a cup of coffee and took a sip... His face got contorted all sort of ways choking and catching his breath finally said after composing himself... Who made this cup of coffee?... Well Deacon Joe, came forward proud as a peacock and said I did!... Preacher Bob said Joe do you drink coffee?... Brother Joe replied can't stand the stuff and smell and never have... Pastor Bob said then from this moment on you never make it again either... As Dad and Brother Joe were pouring the coffee down the drain I remember Dad saying... Joe the secret to making coffee is to follow directions and not use the whole can... Brother Glen:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

#35 tyndale1946, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We do sometimes. I don't know if it makes a big difference in taste, but I believe whole beans will stay fresher longer.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eight O' Clock Coffee

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A LOT longer if you store in the freezer.

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone gave me an electric grinder years ago and we've gone through a couple 'phases' of 'grinding our own', and it is good. We have beans in the freezer now.

20. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been on a Colombian kick lately, either WalMart brand organic Colombian or the McCafe Colombian.

The wife bought me some kopi luwak a few years ago for my birthday. It was tasty.

• Like Like x 1