1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible and capital punishment

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, his words do not. While CP is permitted, it is not commanded. In fact, The NT does not contain any codes of law governing death penalty.

If you want to be hyperliteraist about it (which I think your view qualifies), then you must require the death penalty for lying about church donations (Acts 5).
    The governmental incarceration system was not designed to punish those who sin, only those who violated criminal statutes.
    I think you need to study the NT a little more. Jesus was well aware that such an attitude would leave the world blind and toothless. In fact, in Matthew 5, Jesus addresses this attitude directly.

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Read the scripture. Peter didn't kill Ananias.

Act 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
    Act 5:2 And kept back [part] of the price, his wife also being privy [to it], and brought a certain part, and laid [it] at the apostles' feet.
    Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back [part] of the price of the land?
    Act 5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
    Act 5:5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
    Act 5:6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried [him] out, and buried [him].

One commentary I read guessed that he had a heart attack because he was so worried over the consequences of what he had done. Another suggested that God struck him down. Neither one of these is in the scripture. Neither is Peter killing him however if that had been the case I would guess that would have been recorded since it would have been obvious.

All of us would go to hell if we didn't accept Christ as our Savior. I agree it would be our own fault. But, let's assume that the day before you became a Christian you were murdered in the street. Would your murderer have had any impact on your eternal salvation? Of course.

I'm willing to say that he prevented you from accepting Christ and thereby caused you to go to eternal torment rather than Heaven. The impact of this is the same, however, as sending you to Hell. Different semantecs but the same result.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Johnv

You said
    _____
    "The bible says " eye for eye tooth for tooth "
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you need to study the NT a little more. Jesus was well aware that such an attitude would leave the world blind and toothless.
    _____
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]