1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible and Home Remedies

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jsn9333, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

It is clogging up the court system, you are right. And the prison system! We are all paying for it. If someone smokes publicly, then that is wrong in my opinion because of the danger second hand smoke poses to the public.

I don't encourage smoking anything (it is bad for your lungs) nor anyone to do anything illegal. However, if this guy you refer to wants to do something in his own house by himself... I don't see why I or the government should intervene. We the people don't intervene if he eats too much food or takes too much tylenol PM. Why should we the people (the government) care if he takes a drug that is even less toxic then tylenol? More importantly, why should we spend billions and billions on prisons and enforcement!!

2. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

Job 31:1 says "I have made a covenant with my eyes, not to look at a girl" in some translations. But it would be foolish to think that means we must never look at any female (like muslims).

You have too look at context. The word he uses can also be translated "gaze", which implies lust. Then if you look at the context of the rest of the Bible, "lust" makes sense because we are commanded everywhere to never lust. We are never (anywhere else) told not to even look at a woman. In fact, there are lots of examples where godly men do look at and talk to women.

Yet if you took Job 31:1 and by that verse alone decided men should never look at women period, then you would be doing the same thing you're doing with Proverbs 23.

The actual word used in the passage is "gaze". It is a similar implication as the word "lust". The same passage also sets up the context of verse 30 by mentioning drinking "too much wine" (verse 20) and "lingering over the wine" (verse 30). The phrase "too much" in your Proverbs 23 passage implies that "some" of this wine you are saying we shouldn't even look at is okay, but "too much" is bad. God never says, "don't commit too much adultery" because even a little is already too much. Yet in Proverbs 23 we are told not to take "too much" of the wine, and are also told not to lust after it.

You're having to jump through a lot of hoops to stick to your guns on this one. It doesn't take much more then a simple desire to examine the context of God's Word and put aside traditions of men to understand that the Muslims are wrong for making women wear full face and body coverings, and Prohibitionists are wrong for thinking it is a sin to look at a glass of wine.

Ephesians 5:18 says (literally when you look at the greek) "do not be drunk in excess" with wine. It is not a sin to drink a glass or two of wine and become a little intoxicated (yet still be well sober according to our governments rules of it means to pass a sobriety test). It is a sin to be drunk "in excess", which means you are no longer sober.

#42 jsn9333, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  3. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

Actually, the word used in the Scripture to describe how people get from the choice wine in the Cana story is methyō. That is the greek word that is translated into "drunken" in the Greek. Some English translations say "have well drunk". However, since that English phrase could mean anything from water to milkshakes, you have to go back to the Greek.

The key to understanding the Bible is context. This word "methyo" is only used in relation to wine and not to other beverages. It does not merely mean "satisfied" or "filled". There are other greek words that mean those things. This word means "drunk". (It is used in reference to blood sometimes, but only when speaking metaphorically about war).

If someone said they went to the bar, ordered wine, and drank until he considered himself sufficiently drunk... it would be foolish if you tried to argue that they were just drinking grape juice. Then again, if they said they went to a restaurant, ordered a beverage, and drank it until they were satisfied... then grape juice would be a real possiblity.

What you are doing is entirely changing the context and even words to fit your own desired interpretation. The context is a wedding party, the drink is wine, and the word used to describe how people get is "drunk", a word that is only used in reference to wine (not "satisfied").

I did a search for the post you mentioned above. The first post that came up says the following, "One of the key arguments advanced by those who advocate a non-alcoholic wine is that Jesus turned the water into grape juice. This argument cannot be based on any grammatical or linguistic foundation, there is none."

I totally agree.

Ephesians 5:18 says (literally when you look at the greek) "do not be drunk in excess" with wine. It is not a sin to drink a glass or two of wine and become a little intoxicated (yet still be well sober according to our governments rules of it means to pass a sobriety test). It is a sin to be drunk "in excess", which means you are no longer sober.

#43 jsn9333, Aug 8, 2007
  4. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

It is especially unbecoming since I don't smoke anything and have never said I do. It is bad for your lungs.

I can't even access the private men's forum, much less post there!

We did in the past discuss the legality of marijuana (and the morality) in a thread that has since been deleted since it referred to illegal vice (or so I was told by the administrator).

However, I never said I ingested the drug illegally. In discussing how some people might justify breaking the law in some situations, he might've gotten that impression. But I have never said I smoke anything, nor have I said I illegally have used any drug.

Some people have ingested or otherwise used the drug marinol or even vaporized or ingested prescription cannabis for various medical reasons including cancer (chemo), and other very serious disorders (given to them both on the state and federal level). If (*if*) in the past someone has had a doctor prescribe it to him, what business is that of Cheesehead's? I'm not sure why he is insisting on lying about me, but there is never a good reason to lie about someone.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So when were you promoted to moderator?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

posted in error

#46 saturneptune, Aug 8, 2007
  7. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

posted in error

8. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Growing it and eating it is legal in NC?

"Yes, I grow marijuana (small amounts for personal use) and use it moderately (not daily and not heavily) because it aids in my creativity as I invent things and write/play worship music. I am a patent agent and inventor, and I am a musician and singer. I do lead worship in my church."

"You have said multiple times what a shame and how incredible it is that I said smoke marijuana (though I don't abuse it, peacefully will submit to any governing authority that takes issue with me, and I do not try to convince anyone else to use it)"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.