1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible and The Word. Not Always The Same?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rodneyo777, Jun 15, 2015.

1. rodneyo777

rodneyo777 Member

Reading the scriptures I've noticed the bible seems to describe itself (The scriptures), and The Word (Which seems to be what is written in the bible, in times past, yet living today).

I'm going to struggle describing my question, please forgive me.

The bible / scriptures are the word of God, which was spoken to people in times past, and yet God can make the scriptures open up to you, and reveal the meaning of them.

Yet the bible also seems to describe the Word as a person, and as a form of communication...

We see a very brief but good explanation of "THE WORD" In Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart ...

But the first time we see mention of the word is in Genesis 1:3
    And God said...

Then we see the word mentioned several times in the OT for example Jeremiah 32
    Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah...

Then in John 1
    And the word became flesh (past tense, meaning it was something else before see Genesis 1 above).

Then we see it in the NT happening to Peter (rise and eat), to Phillip (go next to the chariot), and to Paul (Why do you persecute me).

So we have two things described in the bible...The scriptures; and the word of God, these are 2 different things, but in churches they are seen as one.

We need both in our lives. The word of God is named in the book of revelation and his name is written on his thigh, the person is identified as Jesus.

So am I on the right track, or am I missing something?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rev 19 and John 1 - Jesus is the "Word" and "the Word of God".

In Mark 7:6-13 the Ten Commandments are "the Word of God"

3. rodneyo777

rodneyo777 Member

I agree Bob, and that is what I said in my post. Although not as eloquently as yourself.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes - See that you were making the same point - well done sir.

5. rodneyo777

rodneyo777 Member

That word "Became" in my mind I read that, and it seems to point me to Genesis 1...

Also it is past tense...

So it leads to ask what was it "BEFORE" it became flesh; IF it was not just the same as Gen1... "The spoken words we read there in Genesis 1"