1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible and Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jeep Dragon, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No agenda here... just want to see opinions on biblical regards to vegetarianism.

I am curious for input as to such a topic. What's people's opinions on vegetarianism? I want to hear from both vegetarians and non-vegetarians as to why they believe what they believe and whether it is a personal issue. I am neutral to this subject and wish to learn from input from all sides and angles concering vegetarianism, eating meats and what meats to be eaten.

Any input would be gladly appreciated.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I've done vegetarian, I've done non, and now I fluctuate between the two. Depends on my mood! Especially in this season, I tend towards little or no meat at all because fruits and veggies are plentiful and affordable.

However, my reason is not scriptural. Sometimes I'm grossed out by meat, at other times I can help with slaughtering it. Mostly though, I'm just not big on the taste and texture of even the most expensive types.

I don't believe there is any scriptural argument for either way. One needs to use a bit of care with either. With vegetarian, one must watch to get enough iron and such. (for example, following up broccoli with orange juice to boost absortion of nutrients) With meat, there are problems such as hormone injected animals and taking in other foods in combination. (for example, drinking milk when you eat meat releases an unhealthy chemical into your body)

The verse you posted cannot be used to support a biblical suggestion of vegetarianism as wrong, imo. Back in the days this was written there were churches that equated "no meat" with "more holiness", or that set aside days in which they would not eat meat in the name of Christianity. That is wrong, and is still done today. (for example, the Catholic church)

I believe that the original intention was for man to receive complete nourisment from non-living sources, but that this became impractical healthwise with the changes in the earth's seasons, which affected the availability of edible plants and such, along with the addition of blights and other problems which didn't exist in the beginning.

3. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Ah.....Veg-e-tar-i-an.........I think that is Navaho for "bad shot". As far as the Bible is concerned the last time I checked we could eat what ever we wanted as long as it was not strangled and it didn't offend a weaker brother. Now down here in Ky, we eat squirrel (four legged kind), rabbit, turkey, deer, young coon, young groundhog, snappin' turtle, beaver tail and dry land fish. We top it off with homemade biscuits so light they float off the plate and strawberry freezer jam. A few fried green maters, mashed taters and cut corn and put up green beans will also be on the table. Come on down for supper......just holler and I'll tell the wife to set another plate. About 8 pm it's blackberry cobbler and ice cream.

Just a waitin' Bartimaeus

4. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, I have no agenda. And did not intend to post the verses to give an opinion that I believe vegetarianism is wrong. I have, however, had some of my own family members claim that vegetarianism was wrong and that people who do not eat meat are more apt to get possessed.

I don't know where this idea came from, but I wanted to throw out these verses with no explanation of my side to see if such opinions were actually common or how different people look at these verses.

Note: We must all be careful these days as to what we eat (meat or vegetables) becasue of the artificial coloring and other posionous chemicals added or injected into fruits, vegetables, and meats to make them appear more attractive. There is money-making in cancer-causing...

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Don't forget about those rare steaks, if it doesn't fit the catagory of eating blood then it's certianly offends this weaker brother. YUK!

Vegetarianism is certianly a personal choice. Pauls says we can eat meat but does not make it mandatory. Some people feel better and live fuller, more active lives without meat. If that is the case with you then by all means go for it.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Shoo', Boy!! You ain't got no'ting on this here Cajun from down dar in the Bayou State of Louis'an'!!!!-----I married a "Proper" girl from Alabama(hard to imagine anything proper coming from Alabama---but mine did!!:laugh: :laugh: ) and yesterday here and I were watchin' folks walkin' from the church parking lot into the worship center----One of my good buddy deacons who I'd die for and with----was walkin' by---and I made the comment to my wife

"You know, Baby!! Everytime you put ole _______ and myself at the lunch table---we seem to always make a mess!!!! Have you ever noticed that???"----you mix a Cajun and a Redneck together at the dinner table---and you're fixin' to have one!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont eat vegetarians. To much grissel.

8. Servent

Servent Member

Directions please, Lord bless the food here I come

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've been on a near-vegetarian diet for about a year and I can't recommend it highly enough. Meat was causing a lot of health problems for me. I learned that my body stopped properly digesting meat when I was about 36.

However, this business of making a religion out of it is ridiculous.

10. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

JD
    I am thankful to hear that the Lord blessed you with the info about your health. I also believe like you about the veg religionism. I call it the Food cult.

Outta here Bartimaeus/Look away, Dixieland!

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

How sick, no meat! How can anyone not eat meat.
    Really, as far as I can see, God told Noah to eat the animals(prelaw)) and there really isn't a biblical reason to be a vegatarian. I guess it's a matter fo taste. My tastes tend toward meat though, well done.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

The passage from Daniel indicates that the young men on a diet of fruit and vegetables had a healthier appearance.

I have a friend who is vegetarian because colon cancer runs in her family. The xrays of her colon from before to after show great improvement.

13. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

MCdirector
    You are exactly correct. Daniel did do better than all the rest of the young men at that time. The question is better or healthier based upon what? What I mean is, we know what Daniel was switched to, but what was he switched from? Maybe raw liver and chitlins? How about raw sheep stomach or something like that? Porrige made from the hooves of camels. Just keep guessing. Figure in anything you want. The Daniel Diet would be better than anything like that! Not saying the Daniel Diet isn't good today, because within reason it is. It is good to switch around from time to time and change for your body's sake.

Your other comment about your friend is wonderful. Some folks just don't have the system to take meat, or it may be bad for them.

BUT FOR ME, I like what Mark Lowery said, "Look at my teeth, the Lord didn't give me sharp teeth for veggies," and "I didn't make it to the top of the food chain to eat veggies".

My Oldest Son is big enough I've been accused of puttin' mayonase on the front lawn and turnin' him out to graze!

Outta here Bart/KY/ Look Away Dixie Land!

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I agree Bartimaeus. I've also wondered what those other fellows were eating. I doubt it was raw liver or sheep gut though. *shiver* But it was most likely fried, covered in cream, or soaked in wine.

My friends testimony speaks volumes though from a practical point of few. the health of her colon has so drastically improved. I'm not sure I can go that route as I'm already restricted due to my Celiac Disease. Taking out meat wouldn't leave much and I do love my steaks med. rare. I have thought about it though.

15. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

There has to be a verse somewhere against eating liver. YUK:eek:

Bro Tony

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

AMEN~~~~~~~~~~~~

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

There is...

"I will spew you out of my mouth."

18. chadnrachel

chadnrachel New Member

I believe that the Bible supports the fact that all animals and humans were herbivores before the fall. The first shedding of animal blood was to clothe Adam and Eve after they sinned.

Liberal scientists will, even, tend to go along with this. Many believe now that the ferocious teeth that T-Rex had used were more along the lines to crack open melons and fruit rather then rip flesh. (Did you ever think about how he would eat animals with those short little arms?).

Health wise, I believe that there are people who benefit from the vegetarian lifestyle (lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure...).

I believe the passage you refer to, though, is a group of people who made that work (of abstaining from meat) as a ritual for salvation or holiness.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's crazy. T-Rex had HUGE teeth, designed for tearing, not popping open a watermelon.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

~~ sorry, double post ~~

#20 Marcia, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006