1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible Code: Does anyone in their right mind believe it?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Tim, May 12, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Amen Katie! Well said!

Diane

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

My copy of the Bible Codes by Michael Drosnin does not.

This comment proves that you did not read my post before commenting.

This comment proves that you did not read my post before commenting.

Editted to remove friendly admonishments which included my less than perfect spelling to placate the irrate posters who formed opinions based on assumptions they formed by not reading the posts before commenting on them.

[ May 14, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

3. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

That claim can easily be refuted I'm afraid. Look at what I said yesterday. Furthemore what I editted was only the part after "editted to add" as you will see there is a paragraph prior that reiterates the same thing.

That's okay Diane. Easy mistake. In the future though, it would make it much more pleasant if I could post to a topic without spending so much time saying "But, I never said that" to you. [​IMG] ;)

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Laurenda, I don't read every post....... Do YOU? I skim some but read all posts by some of my favorites! Some of these posts get redundant. Some people go on and on. I generally read what is in Today's Active Topics (which is the LATEST post). With your post in question, you got me fired up early on and I didn't even bother to read the rest. I did NOT see the edited part until much later.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I still think the Bible Codes is bunk AND sacrilege.

Did you read the Bible verses? Can you honestly even consider the Bible Codes might be real after reading those and that great information Kate shared?

FYI:
    Diane

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Bearing false witness not aren't you Laurenda.
    It just si happens you have no real idea do you.
    I am haveing some serious computer problems, everything is acting up, cursor is moving so slowly when I type I can not see what I am typing, scolling works slow, and today having troubel getting into my dosuments, my computer, it's really awful. I am in the process of gettting a restoration disk from a friend, and if that doesn't work I am going to have to buy windows 98se and reinstall the whole thing. For soem reason my computer didn't come with it. I ahve to type in notepad if I can open it, then try and copy and paste, but sometimes it won't reopen so I can paste.
    So, no, your completely wrong, and bearing false witness, and very smugly too I see.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since you've taken Drosin(an unbeliever) at his word to form your opinion, then maybe you should at least look at the research on the subject.

http://www.firefromheaven.net/codes2.html

http://www.carl-fh.com/edlab/bible_g.php

http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/torah.html

Bible prophecy(since the bible coe program wass used, you can only assume) apparently in Moby Dick
    http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/moby.html

Fortune telling=
    HE got the wrong date from the bible though, therefore the bible code was wrong, felse prophecy, from the bible, wonder if God wrote that or not. A false prohet and his prophecy is never from God.

http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/wtc.html

How the codes work
    http://www.doesgodexist.org/NovDec99/BibleCodesRealOrFake.html

7. Tim

Tim New Member

A hotter topic than I expected!

The simple truth is that sequence codes applied to any lengthy book are bound to turn up a few sensible words here and there. Especially when you fudge on vowels. Ask a math major (my wife is one) and they'll show you how these "prophecies" are merely the logical, mathematical byproduct of massive sequential selections.

God is not in the business of making prophecies just to show He can predict the future accurately. His prophecies all point to His specific purposes in regards to His plan of salvation and judgment in the world.

Whether a spacecraft lands on the moon, a modern Jewish leader is asasinated or Bush loses his relection bid--we shouldn't expect God to be predicting it just to impress us. These events are not directly related to His priorities.

I'm afraid that when Christians give credence to Bible Codes, they simply look foolish to the world.

In Christ,

Tim

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Bible changed to make bible codes work.

Let us hasten to add that this does not mean that there is a question as to the basic message or the credibility of the Bible we have, but it does help to show us that the Bible is a means of conveying God's word to us, not an object to be worshipped. In a dynamic changing world of multiple languages and cultures we can all understand the message, but to make each letter of the Hebrew language convey something special is a form of idolatry.

</font>[/QUOTE]The direction of letters. Drosnin's codes are found by eliminating spaces between words and then conducting a computer search called Equidistant Letter Sequence (ELS). Whether you skip three letters or 100 letters is up to the programmers. What they do is to keep trying different ELS values until something shows up. Using every 50th letter in Genesis 1, for example, produces the word Israel.

Intended for fortune telling
    Funny how he believes in the codes suposedly in the bible, and the prophecy in Daniel, but not the God of the bible, of course he also believes that God is a computer.

http://www.wwy.org/wwy3997.html

9. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I'm so sorry Kate. I've just noticed that when you are posting heatedly...you tend to jumble the word T H E, it's not just recently, And it's not just with me, I'm sorry I notice things like that. And even more sorry that I mentioned it. I'm Sorry about your computer problems. I hope you get it all worked out.

Diane...I editted my poor spelling out. I'm a poor speller today because I have sick kids that didn't let me sleep last night, and because my husband went to the doctor because it looks like the Cancer might be back. And yes Diane, I read all the posts, especially if I'm going to make a comment to someone about what they said, or what they believe.

The two of you stomped on this Christian lady, pretty good. And over a misunderstanding too.

10. Ruth

Ruth Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, people - is it really necessary to be so virulent in your replies on this subject? I honestly did not see anything in Laurenda's posts to justify this, and I read this thread as replies were being made so I do know what was said when.

I know this is a "hot button" issue for a lot of Christians, but after all, we all seem to agree on our conclusions, don't we? Before you post a reply, please take the time to stop and think about what was actually written. Personally, when I read a posting that makes me want to jump in and answer immediately due to emotion, I just leave the board for a little while and cool down before coming back to reply.

Let us not forget that in all likelihood there are those reading this board who are not fellow Christians. Is this what we want to show them?

Ruth :(

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I do not think it's out of God's character to use ANY type of person.
    However, that's beside the point.
    I've also read Drosnin's book. I don't know what to make of it, as stated before. I would not consider prophecy on the same level of fortune telling, but neither would I take him at his word. I find it interesting. Not much more. It could happen. It could be that everything from beginning to end, including our names, are all contained in the bible and that it will be revealed. I do not believe that if it is, it will be revealed to us fully while on this earth. I think there is a possibility that it will be unlocked in heaven.
    Then again, maybe not. Maybe it's simply what we see and there's nothing more to it apart from a few things that do seem to have been worded in a certain way on purpose and did not make sense to people then, but do make sense now, and maybe there will be more that makes sense later that we do not understand now or that seems very odd.
    Does it matter?
    "All will reveal itself in due time". [​IMG]
    A bible code doesn't affect my Christian life right now. Spending time studying and wondering if it's true doesn't do a thing for me. It makes an interesting read once in a great while or an interesting little discussion like this one.
    Whether you believe it might be true or not means nothing to me. I don't see why whether I believe it might be true would mean anything to you.
    Oh, and this post after "beside the point" is addressed to everyone, I'm not picking on you Katie. :eek: I chose to quote what you said and replied to it in the first line of this post, the rest is a reply in general to everyone. I was about to hit add reply and saw how it might sound like that!
    Gina

12. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Gina... I have agreed with you and with Sue from the beginning. Good post. I hope it will be read completely before anyone decides to comment on it.

And thank you Ruth for your post as well. I hope your admonishments will be well taken. I appreciate your bravery.

In Christ,
    Laurenda

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

My only comment is that it's already been proven to be false, and God doesn't give false prophecy. God does not lie. It's one of satan's trick to draw people from the truth.

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I agree with Katie. Why would God speak to an atheist and unsaved and share hidden secrets in HIS word? And the things they 'revealed is about Rabbi's who don't believe Jesus is the Messiah. Makes no sense to me. But then there is no rhyme or reason to the Bible Codes... only some guys selling some books.

I find the Bible Codes to be sacrilege and or blasphemous. In fact, they are actually called the Torah Codes.

Diane

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Who said they're secrets, or that God spoke to them and told them anything? :confused:
    Gina

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If it's not a secret, then why would God use letter skipping, etc. and hide them in HIS word? Hidden messages.... like a child's puzzle....

Why would the unsaved be the ones to discover these 'messages'? Why 'show' the numerology (yes, that is what this is) to those who do not believe in Christ as Messiah?

What's wrong with this picture?

Sorry guys, it's beyond my comprehension that Christian's can believe God hides things and plays games with HIS word and then reveals the secrets to the unsaved so they can write books and get rich off of 'christians' (Little c intended).

I'll now bow out of this silly discussion!

Diane

17. Matthew 16:24

Matthew 16:24 New Member

Bible codes are for the birds.
    I don't think anyone in his or her right mind could ever believe it.
    If you believe in Bible codes, mind as well as believe in astrology and start reading your horoscope. jk
    Anyway, that's my take on it.
    God is not the author of confusion the Devil is

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I do believe in astrology. [​IMG]
    Gina

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Gina, I am shocked to read that you believe in astrology!

The Bible is very clear concerning astrology.

"SO WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT ASTROLOGY?"
    COMMENT: Those who practice Astrology will be destroyed.
    COMMENT: Astrology and it's practitioners are impotent.
    COMMENT: Astrology is idolatry.
    COMMENT: God will judge his people if they resort to Astrology.
    COMMENT: The Hebrew words "ashshaph" and "gzar" used in these passages and other Old Testament passages translate as "conjuror", "enchanter", "soothsayer" and "astrologer". All manner of such divination and omen reading is CONDEMNED.
    COMMENT: If Astrology could not help the wise men in Daniel's day, how could it possibly be of benefit to the common man today?
    If you have experimented with astrology while searching for self-fulfillment or spiritual satisfaction I can tell you from my own testimony, that your thirst can only be quenched by the living water of Jesus Christ (John 4:14). In closing we pray that if you are practicing astrology that you will turn from such and repent it's offense. It is imperative that you understand that your belief that astrological charts are working is based NOT upon spiritual or mystical universal laws, but upon laws which are fueled by supernatural demonic power (SATAN).

http://www.iamnotofthisworld.com/astrology.html

Astrological charts are viewed as soul blueprints. Roadmaps or patterns, if you will, that can be arranged and corrected in a number of ways by those who are enlightened and aware. Astrology is touted as the ultimate tool to "search yourself". It teaches that one ultimately has choices that are within their control through divination of the stars and planets. It's practice is clearly a form of divination which is the use of supernatural forces or reading of signs and omens for otherwise "secret" or "hidden" information. Symbols used in it's practice are intertwoven throughout other occultic practices such as sorcery, numerology, palm reading and the use of tarot cards.

Edited to fix /quote error.

[ May 15, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

When one uses it in that sense of the term astrology then yes, it appears to be very wrong. It is using it for personal use in those instances to make decisions, or resorting to unGodly people. Our actions should be based only on what is right to do according to God and the leading of the Holy Spirit, not by what we think would be best for us by looking at astrology.

In the biblically correct way astrology is used for such things as a witness to the truth of God, for signs and seasons for farmers, or to affirm that something was from God.

Let there be lights in the
    firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the
    night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons,
    and for days, and years:"

The stars are mentioned in the bible over and over. God talks to Job about their effects on the earth.
    The wise men were TOLD to use "astrology" to find Jesus.
    We are told that there will be signs in the heavens at the end times.
    Judges 5:20 talks about the stars in their courses and how they affected the Kings.

Gina