1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible & debt

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 27, 2011.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a bit in dental debt due to lacking insurance during the days when I so desperately needed work done. I also have a car loan that I had to get, because my current car blew and the repair cost was over 3 grand. I shopped and bought the cheapest best used car available and the Lord blessed that decision and I got a very good car for 3 grand.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If this turns into an argument I am backing off…

No I have listened to Crown enough times to know that with some the problem is income and with others its lifestyle problems. In fact I had their president Chuck Bentley and a MM Coach both tell me I needed an income increase to tackle my debts.

That said my internet is essential as I live with a roommate who also needs it, and I use it to pay bills, shop, and look for a better paying job, not also including keeping in touch with family. Doing this would be next to impossible relying on public computers given their limited hours and my work schedule in my area.

Second my cell phone is necessary. I use it to keep in touch with family, and its been a life saver in the past when I have been in danger. There have been many times when I drove around a cheap non loan car and the thing broke in the woods, or in an area where if I had no cell phone I could have been in some real trouble.

What can be cut? Well TV/Internet can drop from $95 - $55, but current roommate wants the extra channels. Maybe the next one will allow the cut. Cell phone (BlackBerry) is as cheap as they get at only $65 a month.

And besides even if I were to cut those expenses its not gonna get me to be able to make a minimum payment on my larger loan. Like what Crown said, I need an income increase. Gonna get out some applications this weekend.

John

#22 evangelist6589, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You pay half of the minimum payment or don't pay at all. You don't want the extra channels, you are not responsible to pay for them.

That's not at all as cheap as they get. I have Boost Mobile and pay less than $10 a month on a pay-as-you go. My daughters have Virgin Mobile and pay $25 for unlimited text, unlimited web and 300 minutes. You can go WAY cheaper than $65.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am within my contract.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The next roommate may allow negotiation on the TV, so will need to wait till next month. At the moment I am under the rental contract. But even that this is all still a pinch in the wind. Major issue is the income… Working on getting that taken care of, but unfortunately I seem to get turned down every job I apply for.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I said most at not really interested in doing what it takes.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Imagine if you owed xxxx in medical debts and your monthly payment is $1200. Imagine if you only make $9/hr. How in the world are you gonna make the payment when you also have rent to pay and other bills on top of that? You cant!! The problem is an income crisis, not a spending problem. Tis is a very similar problem to what I am facing. I need an income increase plain and simple, its economics 101. But for the moment the Lord has not given me that job.

#27 evangelist6589, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is fine. If you change your mind I can help you out of that debt, but until then enjoy the ride.:wavey:

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best help you can give is some contacts in my area that know of some good computer tech support or technical services positions. My income would get a drastic increase and this would better enable me to get out of my debts. Or as Dave says it would increase my shovel size. I have heard him tell plenty of callers over the years that they need to get bigger shovels to clean up their debts.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was going to say that if you do computer work, you should be able to do some side work easily. Even advertising on Craigslist that you will repair home computers or things like that would help out!

However, with regards to the medical bills, if you contact the medical people, oftentimes they will work with you to pay off the bills and hospitals will often deeply discount the amount that you have to pay. I'm going to do that with my daughter's hospital bill which we have to pay $2400 of a $90,000 right now (the difference was covered by insurance) and they will possibly even write off the remainder from what they said! As long as you are paying, they are happy. I have one bill from the anethesiologists and for some reason it went to collections even before my daughter was out of the hospital and when they called me about the bill, I told them I can pay them $50 a month and they are fine with that as long as we pay regularly. Even $10 is something, showing faithfulness in paying.

So contact those who you are in debt to and see if you can come up with a new agreement until such time as you have more income. You might be surprised.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I appreciate your kindness and servant heart friend. Yes I ordered the cards and will get to work right away. The Lord will open a way, but I need to put forth the effort on it. He cant work if I am lazy.

My larger debts are in forbearance as I cannot meet the minimum payment. However I am remaining faithful to my other debts and pay what I can. It irritates me when people get so judgmental and claim its all about the budget when in my case its not. People often want to judge and label and not help. I appreciate that you are more understanding and have a servant heart.

John

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's a great attitude because so many say "I'm waiting for God to give me a job" and I don't believe that is the right attitude. You need to be a go-getter in a time like this!! :)

Thank you. :) I've been in serious debt before and I've lived through the denial of poverty and living above my means - and have learned from that. I have come to a place of understanding what are needs and what are wants and while I'm fortunate to be able to have wants as well as needs covered, I'm willing to drop many things that some think of as needs but they are in reality wants. I like to be able to help others as best I can with living frugally and rethinking their lives in order to be able to live well on what they make. So I'm happy to try to at least give you a few ideas.

John[/QUOTE]

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wof....

It stands for Word of Faith (the name-it-claim-it teaching).

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks. :wavey:

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats good. As long as you do not make the wild assumption that everyone who is in debt and not able to make the payment is living outside of their means. Thats really nothing but a wild judgmental assumption that many have and cannot prove. I have heard callers on Crown & Ramsey that CLEARLY had an income crisis. They were suggested by the host to get a better paying job or a second job. I continue to look for a higher income… Anyone who wants to give me help can probably give me employment ideas or keep me accountability on my job hunt and make sure I am still at it, and have not given up (easy to do).

Thank you my friend..

[/QUOTE]

#36 evangelist6589, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011