1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible Jesus May have Read.

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Phillip, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillip:
    "It is our responsibility to review every single manuscript found and s**** of papyrus, etc. for the purpose of making absolutely certain that we maintain the truth. In other words, we should not be afraid of what we will find because none of the MV's or the KJV have changed doctrine one iota. AND, because there are some errors in the KJV (and all MV's) that is behooves us to search for ancient manuscripts and have experts study them down to the letter in an effort to keep as close to the original as possible (which means also study to try to find out what (even if pieced together from many manuscripts) is the closest to the original.) etc. etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am substantially in agreement with that if by "we" you mean the body of believers as opposed to each individual person, which I am sure you do. We should not be afraid of what we might find. I do think we many translations you must be careful. The Living Bible was a paraphrase; the New Living Translation is a translation. I have not studied either of them much but I do not have much use for either of them.

I dont' know much about the GNMM. I have heard it is a very poor translation. These types of translations are wholly unnecessary. There are good, readable translations available. We do not need poor ones. As for the ESV coming from the same company, I don't know. Chris or someone more familiar with the ESV probably would.

2. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    [/qb]

As for the ESV coming from the same company, I don't know. Chris or someone more familiar with the ESV probably would.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not believe the GNB (also called Today's English Version) came from Crossway, which produces the ESV. But they are worlds apart. The GNB/TEV was a losse paraphrase, translated by liberal Robert Bratcher who did not believe in the blood atonement and took it out. Nevertheless, Philip's testamony reveals the truth fo the statement that even the meanest of translations is the word of God, and salvation can be found therin.

(I believe Zondervan is now reprinting the GNB in a new modern format).

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pastor Larry wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Gipp is published by Chick tracts, which tells us everything we need to know.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! :D

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    [/qb]

I am substantially in agreement with that if by "we" you mean the body of believers as opposed to each individual person, which I am sure you do.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely, Yes I meant we as a Christian community should be studying all the pieces of ancient manuscripts. It would; however, be nice for them to make photographs (high resolution) of the pages or pieces public over the internet for amateur scholars. Just as comets, some bit of truth may be found accidently by possibly a pastor such as yourself studying such a document, but that is just a wish. I cannot see a down-side of publishing actual pictures of the papyri or what is left. I have collected several of the dead-sea schroll pictures from the web just for a collection to look at--not necessary study. But, yes, my overall intent was to have the best scholars in the world working on these documents.

(When I said "truth" above, I did not mean some strange fact such as we came from planet Vargus 200,000 lightyears away, I simply meant they might find some little something overlooked that could add strength to our modern day translations. Please, don't take that statement wrong. Thanks!)

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: Phillip ]

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Temple:

Nevertheless, Philip's testamony reveals the truth fo the statement that even the meanest of translations is the word of God, and salvation can be found therin.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the GNB the same as the Good News for Modern Man? As I recall, at the time it only came out in a white paperback and was New Testament only. It had simple pencil drawings through-out. I can say one thing, that I probably learned more about Jesus by reading that than I did listening to the pastors over-my-head sermons. It may be very inaccurate, but it peaked my interest on the fact that Jesus is God and we were saved by his grace. As I grew older I went through a KJV phase and then really studied the NASB version after a preacher recommended it for accuracy of translation (right or wrong). But, the GNMM gave me a grounding in God's grace to start on that I don't think I would have understood so well by just jumping in to the KJV feet first. (Not that Sunday School helped--but as you know in real young kids Sunday School, we spent more time looking at pictures of Noah loading the animals on the ark, etc.--being a little sarcastic there, because, even as now, I read constantly as a child and could usually debate Sunday School teachers to the point they would go to my mother and complaain (who was head of the youth department) and she would simply tell them--I don't know, he's probably right, he reads ALL the time, so he obviously has picked up something. What I picked up in the long-run was Christ Jesus was my Savior.

6. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillip:

Is the GNB the same as the Good News for Modern Man? As I recall, at the time it only came out in a white paperback and was New Testament only. It had simple pencil drawings through-out. I can say one thing, that I probably learned more about Jesus by reading that than I did listening to the pastors over-my-head sermons. It may be very inaccurate, but it peaked my interest on the fact that Jesus is God and we were saved by his grace.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the same version. And I would call it biased rather than inaccurate. But as you have shown, the Word of God was found therein.