1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Bible & the Supernatural

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calypsis4, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before I read all the scoffs and naysayer's comments, let me just say this .... if we serve a "supernatural God" and Paul tells us "For jwe do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against kthe rulers, against the authorities, against lthe cosmic powers over mthis present darkness, against nthe spiritual forces of evil oin the heavenly places."

Borrowed from:http://www.compellingtruth.org/spiritual-warfare.html

Spiritual warfare - What does the Bible say?

There are two primary issues to address regarding spiritual warfare and the Bible. First, does spiritual warfare exist? Second, what does the Bible say about engaging in spiritual warfare?

The Bible is very clear on the existence of spiritual warfare. Peter warns "Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8). Our adversary or enemy, the devil, refers to Satan, who is a real entity, not a mythical creature or invention. Other titles of Satan include the tempter (1 Thessalonians 3:5), the wicked one (Matthew 13:19, 38), and the accuser of the brethren (Revelation 12:10).

Three of Satan's titles indicate his authority in this world: the ruler of this world (John 12:31), the god of this age (2 Corinthians 4:4), and the prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2). Satan also transforms himself into "an angel of light," a description that highlights his capacity and inclination to deceive (2 Corinthians 11:14).

Spiritual warfare, the idea that humans battle in some way with supernatural powers, is also the testimony of the apostle Paul in Ephesians 6:10-18. Here, Paul notes that believers battle against the devil's schemes and that this is a spiritual battle, not a physical one. We are to be fully aware of Satan's evil plans (2 Corinthians 2:11). Paul further describes the warfare in which we are engaged as we battle throughout our lives "against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places" (Ephesians 6:12). Clearly, such powers exist.

The second question—what does the Bible say about engaging in spiritual warfare?— is somewhat more controversial. The problem typically arises when we either over emphasize spiritual warfare by seeing every occurrence in life as part of it or under emphasizing it by ignoring the spiritual realm altogether.

Several biblical texts inform our understanding of this issue. First, Christians must remember we are already conquerors (Romans 8:37) and that Satan has already been defeated (Colossians 2:15; 2 Peter 3:22). Second, the power of Christ within the believer is greater than the power of Satan (1 John 4:4). We have no reason to live in fear of Satan or evil spirits as believers. Satan can harm, but he cannot defeat the believer in Christ.

Third, we must not forget that Satan can be allowed to attack believers (2 Corinthians 12:7-9; James 1:2-4) in order to fulfill God's perfect plan for His people. This was the case of Paul's thorn in the flesh and was also seen in the example of Job's life (Job 1–3). Satan's power over us is limited, however, to only that which God ordains for His purposes—to bring His children to maturity and bring glory to Himself.

Fourth, Satan's primary strategy is to blind us to God's plan for our lives (2 Corinthians 4:3-4). Rather than a supernatural battle between angels and demons that is often portrayed in modern culture, the general tactic used by Satan is to turn our eyes away from God's truth and toward self. However, we cannot blame every temptation on Satan, since the Bible also teaches that we are tempted and enticed by our own evil desires (James 1:13-15).

Fifth, the method to defeat Satan is to resist him and stay near to God. James 4:7-8 instructs, "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you." A close walk with God is the best protection against Satan's activities.

Sixth, Paul exhorts us to arm ourselves for the spiritual battle which is part of the Christian life by putting on the "whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil" (Ephesians 6:11). This armor includes truth, righteousness, the gospel, faith, salvation, the Word of God, and prayer. These weapons will enable us to "be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might" (Ephesians 6:10-18).

Ultimately, spiritual warfare is not about a technique to defeat Satan or demons, but a heart that walks closely with God. When God is first and foremost in our lives, Satan lacks power over us, despite his attempts to weaken our efforts to pursue Christ.

As a final warning, it is important that we do not take our God-given power over Satan as an opportunity to display arrogance. In Acts 19:13-16, we find the account of Jewish leaders who attempted to use God's power to overcome evil for their own benefit and received a harsh punishment for doing so. This stern warning should reveal our need to depend on a humble and personal walk with Christ to overcome evil rather than an external display to feed human pride.

In summary, spiritual warfare is a very real part of the Christian life, but should not be an opportunity for either fear or pride. Instead, the reality of Satan and his evil forces should cause us to draw near to God all the more, realizing His power can conquer any foe we may encounter.

Of course, those on this board may decide to scoff and mock, but not all are going to believe unless in fact they have seen and experienced in the flesh and spirit!

Read more: http://www.compellingtruth.org/spiritual-warfare.html#ixzz3Znre4LTY

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question was a legitimate one. Yours mocks me for asking it.

So far your evidence has been hearsay and questionable pictures.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With a name like Calypsis? :laugh:

4. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of you critics have even given me the time to tell the whole story. The bad comments started immediately even though I made it clear there was more.

Prov. 18:13 ¶ He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.

Talk about a rush to judgment.

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

In all fairness, you set yourself up for that one. You decided to piecemeal the story to us instead of telling the whole matter from the beginning. In effect, you created a scenario in which you only told a part of your story, then you gave ground for people to respond, then you got upset when people responded.

6. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't even pay attention to what God's Word said in my last post. It didn't strike you in the slightest and you are still judging me without full knowledge of the matter.

Beyond that, I believe I'll pass and finish up here today.

Best wishes.

7. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your comments and perspective.

8. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell the readers what Calypsis means and what it's root derivation is.:)

9. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

http://www.encyclo.co.uk/meaning-of-Calypsis
    Calypsis ( καλυψις --- kalupsis or kalypsis.) is the act of covering, concealing, hiding, or veiling. In kinesics, the science of body language, calypsis is the act of covering or concealing certain parts of one's own body. Calypsis is a type of closed, negative or defensive body language used to express disapproval, discomfort or fear in certain situations. The term usually refers to the act of covering or concealing one’s face, or sexually attractive parts (including certain sexually attractive clothing), especially in the presence of someone who is a sexual turn-off (extremely anerotic), or someone who is uncomfortable to be around. The term calypsis was derived from the Greek καλυπτω ---kalupto or kalypto, meaning to cover, to veil, to hide, or to conceal. Calypsis is a type of closed or negative body language often expressing extremely anerotic feelings, sexual abhorrence, scorn and contempt toward someone viewed as a sexual turn-off in terms of physical appearance, in terms of personality and social behavior, or both. The term calypsis can also refer to a bride placing a veil over her face during her wedding while preparing to marry her groom, or to a criminal concealing his/her face with a ski mask while perpetrating a burglary, robbery, or sniper attack. Calypses (plural of calypsis) are done in many different ways by various people in various situations for various reasons (including for defensive purposes), and are often done subconsciously like most other forms of body language.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Post number 44:
    "Originally Posted by Rolf View Post

Why did you ask such a question to begin with? Do you think the Lord would have given deliverance to people who are drunkards? They were Christian people living in a haunted house and they don't even drink. Because of what the Lord did in enabling me to help that couple with seven little terrified children they eventually put the house up for sale and moved here to join our congregation.

So far your evidence has been hearsay and questionable pictures."

Calypsis, you have fraudulently quoted me. Please do not represent as mine the second paragraph.

11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, PreachTony.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did you only post the partial story originally?

13. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hint: mothers day.

14. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good (at least in part) Now tell the readers what you think it is I am hiding and why.

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That makes no sense. You blame your Mother?

16. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is what your entire post said:

So far your evidence has been hearsay and questionable pictures.

Now what's the problem? Know that I am doing two things at once and it is easy to make a mistake.

17. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will you please just stop. Why should I have to explain things more than what is obvious? My time was limited.

Why don't you practice some patience in the matter and allow me the time it takes to organize my stuff to post on B.B.?

18. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

You are on internet forum. You shouldn't post only part of your story and then get mad at people for responding. Using that logic, no one should ever respond to anything until the OP says "the end" or "now you may respond."

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get out your spiritual raincoat and emotional umbrella. The peer pressure is just beginning. They love to attack and discredit in order to chase folks off the forum. If they continue to do this, the owners of this board might consider changing the group name to the Baptist Clique. :thumbs: :smilewinkgrin: :tear:

20. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite truthfully, you are wasting so much of our time with such nit picky responses. I have already stated in the opening remarks that there was more to come.

Secondly, I don't give orders here. "There's more coming' should have been enough.

By the way: there's more coming. Are you going to be patient enough to wait for it or do I have to keep answering needless questions in the meantime?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.