1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Biblical Doctrine of Election: It is Specific

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Well, God bless Brother.

2. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Isn't what happens with the first person in your example only because he/she is elect and wasn't necessarily seeking God previously? If I understand correctly couldn't the first person have been the worst pagan that ever lived and if he/she is elected they then acquire all the Christ following traits you listed?

I was referring to one post where you seemed to say that if an elect person didn't respond as God desired they would be lost and another post where you say an elect person cannot be lost.

#62 lbaker, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I believe the Bible teaches that the fruits of election (the blueprint) are repentance, faith, receptivity, et. Folks are not elect because they believe. They believe because they are elect.

I think you have misunderstood me regarding the elect. I have never said an elect person can be lost.

RB

4. lbaker

lbaker New Member

-------------

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The fruits of election? Where does the Bible even imply such a term?

In scripture I see the fruits of repentance (Matt 3:8), the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22), the fruits of righteousness (Phil 1:11), but I don't see the fruit of election.

6. ReformedBaptist

I think the debate is over. If you want to keep drawing your own conlcusions, draw them. I have explained myself, but I don't htink your seeking explainations.

God bless.

RB

7. ReformedBaptist

Since I was explaining what I believe, I used my own phrase to explain my belief. I wasn't exegeting. I did that previsouly.

8. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Okay, and thanks.

Les

9. NLJohn524

NLJohn524 New Member

Hey everyone. I'm new to the board. My name is Wayne.
    I don't fully understand it but, election has to do with service. Chirst was "elect", Israel was "elect". There is a plan and purpose. Every single child of God is called to service and God has a purpose and plan for his life.

Predestination, on the other hand, has to do with the end result of sanctification. The absolute destiny of every single born again believer, is to be conformed to the image of a Christ. Neither election nor predestination has anything to do with salvation.

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will you explain that view more thoroughly
    MB

11. Reformer

Reformer New Member

Ok, can someone explain why this statement doesn't put everyone in hell? If unbelief "CANNOT" be forgiven that would mean we must be born in belief, which would be a new kind of election, and a contradiction to everyone's definition of original sin.

Reformer

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe a better way to put it would be a refusal to believe. He who believes is not condemned. He who does not believe is condemned already.
    As long as you have breath in your body, you have the opportunity to believe. Believing is another way of saying that you are going to literally put your life in Christ's hands.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the unforgivable sin. It is a sin of unbelief and total rejection of the leading of the Holy Spirit. All sins were paid for on the cross except this one.

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

Welcome, Wayne! :wavey:

Yeah, you give the opinion of most Baptists but we're not in the majority here. Here "elect" means "chosen by God [RC Sproul's book title] according to His will."

I was rereading that book the other night and these definitions jumped out at me.

"predestination: the doctrine that God in consequence of his foreknowledge of all events infallibly guides those who are destined for salvation." Like you said -- to eventual salvation -- absolute destiny. To you and I, this speaks of our sanctifying election, not our salvational election. I mean notice: those destined to salvation!" He leaves out reprobation because God doesn't plan anything for their lives as concerning sanctification to damnation.

"predestinate: destined, fated, or determined beforehand; to foreordain to an earthly or eternal lot or destiny by divine decree." However, if you ever say that they preach "fate," better "jump back Jack!" Though they believe that everything is foreordained, they are loathe to admit "all is fate."

Well, the upshot is that, even in this chapter, Sproul seems to be teaching "predestination" as the sanctification of the already saved ("election, as we call it). The critical passage even says "predestined to be conformed to the image of His dear Son" -- NOT "predestined to salvation," Rom 8:29. But I think that is where they believe salvation starts.

I invite you to bring your perspectives into the debate and hope you will enjoy a period of spiritual growth whilest you blog here.

skypair

#73 skypair, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hi Wayne :wavey: ,

You bring up an intersting point about Christ being elect. Under Calvinism "elect" means chosen for salvation. Does that mean then that Christ was chosen for salvation? I think not. He was elect, chosen to save mankind from the wrath of God.

15. Reformer

Reformer New Member

So it would be agreed what he said was flat wrong

16. ReformedBaptist

Yes, he was flat wrong.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Didn't I say pretty much the same thing only in a different way? Am I wrong too?

18. Reformer

Reformer New Member

And now that I think about it, what would be the reason some people refuse to believe and others do believe. would it not be because of the working of the Spirit, which would lead to election?

#78 Reformer, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  19. ReformedBaptist

To say that because Christ is called elect it means that believers who are called elect can't be an election to salvation because it would mean Christ's election was to salvation? Yes, that would be wrong and a logical error of equivocation.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So would you agree that election can mean something other than "to salvation"?