1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The biggest Baptist Church in America?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Bro. Ruben, Jan 4, 2006.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't think that Lakewood is Baptist anymore. The Senior Osteen disassociated the church from the SBC sometime after a healing experience with his daughter (I think it was the daughter).

2. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

Lakewood is the largest church in the US, but it's independant. The Osteens dropped the "Baptist" a long time ago, before they had even moved into their previous church (which was also one of the largest mega's around).

Rick Warren has the largest Baptist church. A little OT, but is it just me, or does it seem that most mega's are either Baptist or WoF?

3. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

On the mission field, we do not experience the same pressures for competition as you do in the US. At least not as much. Because many of our folks are not mobile we must make our churches truly "local." Therefore, we are always looking to start churches in places where we have a nucleus of people. The hardest part in doing this is that our main assembly is always going up and down in attendance. It also takes away our discipled teachers.

I have learned one very important lesson from being on the field that I want to share. IT IS GOD'S WORK, NOT MINE. He can do with it what He pleases and I am along for the joy ride.

4. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Saddleback Church? I don't claim this as the largest Baptist church--they don't claim themselves to be Baptist They are a community gathering that has chosen to avoid the "stigma" of our label.

One should know what he is, and thus be unafraid to proclaim what he is. IF that is the largest Baptist church, then let it claim to the community that it is Baptist.

And for anyone to say that a large chuch has to be a compromising church is to admit ignorance of the Bible, its methods, commands, and promises.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saddleback is indeed a Southern Baptist church, but it doesn't stress the affiliation — for what it considers good reasons.

This thread is NOT for bashing churches and future such comments will be deleted.

Thank you.

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Prestonworld has bought a big parcel of land in Frisco Texas fo a satelite campus - they may be the largest before long

7. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Dear RSR,
    I am not "bashing" anyone. I am making a simple point on how to count Baptists.

Yankee fans are those who scream and wear Yankee logos to Yankee games, not just everyone who attends a game in NY. If I go to one, I will not root for them, tell anyone that I am a Yankees fan-that way, everyone knows I am not a Yankee.

I have no problem with any church's choice on how to display their name. Hooray for them, if they think it best.

8. rlbcompany

rlbcompany New Member

9. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Love Rick Warren's book but I would not want to be part of a church that large. For me, it is easy to get lost in the sheer number of people. Bellevue Baptist Church is just "down the road" from me and it is huge. For example, I get more from my small group that meets verses the Sunday service at times due to things being on a more personal level. This is just my opinion. [​IMG]