1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Blessedness - Romans 4:6-8

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jun 28, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is another one neither of you provided a CONTEXTUAL based rebuttal!

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Here are the facts, as I have stated:

Faith reckoned as righteousness, according to scripture. Forensic justification invented by Luther at a time when legalism was the mindset of the day. Particular Baptists following Calvin and Luther in their unbiblical doctrines. Anabaptist and general Baptist following a "third way" -- neither Catholic nor Protestant, but Biblical.

Imputed righteousness and forensic justification a legalistic fallacy.

Imputed and reckoned not synonymous terms, for any knowledgeable linguist.

"Reckoned" the literal term in the scripture in question.

Those are the absolute facts. Biblicist doesn't like it, so he resorts to insults.

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

That's a lie. It is you who started with the insults, as anyone can see by reading the thread.

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Michael you lied! I was not the one who started the smear campaign but it was Moriah as the above post shows which was preceded by this post:

It is worthless and damaging explanations given in this group. - Moriah

You chimed right in approving his personal attacks and then that is where I responded. So don't get so self-righteous as it was MORIAH and then YOU commending his posts that started the name calling. Just go back and read it.

However, I predicted this would be your response because both of your are INCAPABLE of exegetical based responses. I predicted both of you would respond by either denials, name calling or the RUN, JUMP and PIT cultic eisgetical mindset and I was proven to be correct in my prediction. When you can't deal with the evidence then Moriah throws mud and you support his mud throwing.

#44 The Biblicist, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

The only way he knows how to deal with evidence is to ignore it.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

These are not facts! They are YOUR assertions based upon NOTHING but YOUR opinion!

In contrast, I did not go to some tradition in secular church history to identify your false doctrine with and I could have very easily.

Instead I went to Romans 4 and provided an expositorily based defense for my position proving that Paul taught it long before Luther. None of my posts have you even attempted to provide an EXPOSITORILY or EXEGETICALLY based response to! You simply make assertions, charges, which mean nothing!

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Biblicist,

You are not telling the truth. YOU brought me into this debate when you started speaking falseness about me.

#47 Moriah, Jul 7, 2012
  8. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Biblicist,

You STILL have not answered the questions I give you. You speak many untruths about people here to try to defend your false beliefs.

I ask you AGAIN, what is the works of the ungodly man that you speak?
    Answer the question!

You said, “ He is still an "ungodly" man in regard to his own works as none of his own works measure up to GODLINESS or sinless perfection.”
    What are the ungodly works?!!! Are you calling obeying God an ungodly work? ANSWER!

#48 Moriah, Jul 7, 2012
  9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Michael,

Biblicist is not speaking the truth, as you know.

Check out post #11, there you will see that Biblicist brought me into this post in falseness first.

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

(Alright, everybody take note of the truth)

Biblicist, you said that this statement by Moriah -- "It is worthless and damaging explanations given in this group" -- is a personal attack. That is a lie. That is definitely NOT a personal attack!

YOU continue with the personal attacks YOU started by adding the lie and personal attack above, that we have a cultic mindset. You are the lowest of the low.

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I have given all kinds of evidence, to you and the other accusers on this forum, in many different threads. All you can do is ignore that evidence because it punches holes in your shallow false doctrines. The only thing you have left is initiating personal attacks, just like Biblicist. He has already trotted out the "cultist" charge; that's a favorite of you, him, and others.

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And I have shown that the Romans 4 passage does NOT say what you claim it does.

Deny all you want, but "reckoned" and "imputed" do not mean the same thing, and the passage literally says "reckoned", not imputed.

Counting, or reckoning our faith as righteousness is different from the Magisterial Reformers' doctrine of imputed righteousness, or attributing righteousness to us in a legalistic manner. The former leads to correct doctrine of justification; the latter leads to false forensic justification.

I have NOT gone to tradition; I have gone straight to the scripture. I have shown how those in the history of the church have believed about this -- the Anabaptists who were correct, and the Magisterial Reformers who were wrong.

Oh, what is "secular church history" :laugh:

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I read it; you are correct.

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Here is post #11 and there is not one slanderous remark made against Moriah in it! Simply stating he has a theological problem with the term "ungodly" in Romans 4:5 does not constitute a slander!

Why don't both of you try honesty for a change?

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I placed four contextual problems against your view of "impute" in Romans 4 and you have not dealt with a single one!

1. The subject - "ungodly" - v. 5
    2. The basis - "without works" - vv. 1-6
    3. The time - previous to circumcision and Mosaic Law - vv. 1-12
    4. The Biblical definition of faith - vv. 18-21 - no personal participation or contribution in the righteousness being imputed (v. 21).

Furthermore, it is the SAME Greek word translated "reckoned" as well as "imputeth" as well as "counted." Look at the Greek text! It is the SAME term.

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I'm sorry that you cannot distinguish between our faith reckoned as righteousness -- which is what the Bible teaches -- and righteousness being attributed or imputed to us. There is a difference, a great difference. It is the difference that separates Eastern Orthodox and Anabaptist theology from the Latinized West -- Roman and Protestant. You think you have escaped the errors of Rome and the Magisterial Reformers, but your mind is imprisoned in the Latin West where it will probably remain entrenched. You have escaped Rome only to fall into the error of the Magisterial Reformers and their false doctrine of forensic, legalistic justification. I prefer the original, New Testament, early church, Eastern, and Anabaptist views. The Western view of justification is cold, detached, and legalistic. I don't find God to be any of those.

P.S. I don't want to fight with you any longer, so I'll just drop it.

#56 Michael Wrenn, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Are you kidding? You compare me to the Catholics and SBM, and I am not supposed to take offense to it. You do not understand my beliefs, so do not try to tell others what I believe about the ungodly man. You even continue your slander against me personally when you tell me try honesty for a change.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I decided that I am not going to discuss anything with those who keep trotting out the "cultist" charge and are allowed to get away with it.

19. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Scripture 5 says, “However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.
    That means that the man who does not trust in giving of the blood of animals to justify him, but trusts only in God to justify him.

The scriptures 1-6 are, again, about works, such as circumcision. Abraham believed in God, God commanded Abraham to give a seal of his faith, and that seal was circumcision. Abraham took Ishmael, and all those born in his household or bought with his money, every male in his household and circumcised them. Now, did God consider Abraham righteous because he did the work of circumcising his son and all the males in his household, or did God consider him righteous before that? Abraham was considered righteous before that WORK OF CIRCUMCISION! THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT WE DO NOT HAVE TO OBEY GOD, for Abraham obeyed God BEFORE the WORK of circumcision, Abraham obeyed when God told him where to go. Abraham obeyed God when God told Abraham to offer Isaac as a sacrifice.

Abraham BELIEVED AND OBEYED GOD before he was circumcised.

Against all hope Abraham BELIEVED God that he would be the father of many nations. How do you get that that is NO PERSONAL PARTICIPATION WHEN IT IS ABRAHAM WHO HAD HOPE? How do you think there is no personal participation when it is Abraham who had faith?

God credits OUR faith to us.

#59 Moriah, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  20. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I definitely know what you mean.