1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The blessing and pitfall of social networking

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 7, 2014.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow - I get a lot of spiritual blessings from my Christian FB friends on a regular basis. I am much more edified there than some 'Christian' sites.

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may depend on the friendships you have. My error was probably accepting people as friends over the years that are not friends.

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Facebook is a good example of a company that pays nothing for what it sells... its clients' own personal information.

Twitter is simply a support group for narcissists.

#24 Rolfe, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I'm glad someone got it!

6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was surprised that nobody else did.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

There may be truth to what you state.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Social media, if not diligently policed, gives creeps easy and immediate access to one's children. And, more often than not, one finds that God had His reason for putting distance between one and his facebook friends.

Be not deceived, evil communications corrupt good manners. (And Paul said, be not deceived, because many are.)

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Troublemakers can use what you write on social media to cause you harm too.

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. I originally got on FB to interact with our son, and really enjoy doing that, but have lots of old friends that sometimes communicate, and it's nice. I don't argue theology there, no one ever posts gossip or criticism on my page, we just have a little fun.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be my mistake as it does not appear to be an environment oriented for debates. But yes no doubt a great communication tool for family and old friends. However many only talk about themselves and the Bible says that "whatever ye eat, drink, or whatever ye do, do all to the glory of God." I take that verse to mean I should use FB for evangelism and discussions on God, but that won't get me friends nor likes.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian fellowship on FB with one's son--or any Christian friend or loved one--can glorify God. We don't have to do specifically "Christian" things to glorify God. "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another" (John 13:35).

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True but he also says to preach the gospel to very creature (Mk 16). I take it that we shall be the light, but also need to open our mouths. Do not the ungodly, and the cults love one another?

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone "friends" me (a misnomer) on FB who is not saved, be assured that I'll witness to them. But be assured also that I enjoy the fellowship on FB with other believers.

Surely you don't believe that because of John 13:35, when an ungodly person or cultist "loves" someone it proves they are a disciple of Christ, do you? Evan, that would be completely ignoring the intent and meaning of the verse.

In answer, NO, the ungodly and cultists do not love one another. Surely as a Calvinist you can understand the depravity of man in this case. The "love" that sinners have for one another is self-centered, selfish and with wrong motives, so it never turns out right. On the other hand, the love of a true disciple of Christ for other disciples shines out in unselfishness with the love of God.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I posted without thinking. Thanks for the reminder. Yes their love is self centered and not sacrificial. Sadly this type of fake love exists in many churches perhaps filled with false converts.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. There have been some who have asked to talk with me as a result of what they have seen me post.

I am also a part of a couple of forums on Facebook which discuss particular points. One is political and the participants agree to be polite and respectful. They are also from many locations which lend itself to discussing points that may differ depending on the state and location.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have made mistakes friending people whom I do not know in person. Often times they are not your friend and unfriend you when you post something they disagree with. They can be very opinionated and are closed to logic and the facts. Not all the time but in general I won't be friending anyone I do not know.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have experienced the same thing with some I know and some are in the church and out of the church. But any time we stand for what is right there are those who do not want to hear ti. The ran Jesus out so why not us too?

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One poster insisted that Francis Chan is bad news, but he never could give quotes from his books, just rumors on blogs. I said he was wrong and our relationship went.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Typical of those who repeat what the religious politicians say.