1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The blood of Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 21, 2016.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know all their beliefs, but I do know that if you have not been baptized, regardless of anything else, you will die lost. Plus, it is CoC or lost with them. They're old school CoC ppl.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Southern Baptist. Campbellism is a heresy to me in that it departs from what would be considered orthodox Baptist belief. If you are asking me whether or not it departs from Christian belief, then I really do not know. I suppose it depends on the individual and how he holds that error.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea...we have a bunch of those around here. Most of the churches in my area are CoC (but they are small and do not represent the majority of church members in my area).

4. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made mention to one of them a while back(years ago) about the baptism being an answer of a good conscience towards God and for not putting away the filth of the flesh and they said they would hate to stand before God without a good conscience. In my mind, I waved the proverbial white flag.

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right.

Many misunderstand the issue as pertaining to merit, even among its adherents. They simply do not have their hope in Christ, but their baptism (or prayer, etc)

But many believe it pertains to access - and after they've done "their part", their faith is squarely aimed at Christ.

This issue of "my part" is tricky indeed. How does one convey responsibility without giving someone something to do?

Most people don't seem to be able, and that's where we get prayers, confessions, etc as requirements in many circles

• Like Like x 1
  6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This makes them quite borderline. Campbellism is heresy. Yet James did not want me to evangelize them. Perhaps I should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would definitely suggest you do not evangelize him/them. Not because of him, but becaus of you

You don't understand the issues well enough. Your style does nothing except entrench people in what they already believe.

It's similar to a scenario about 17 years ago, where a Baptist friend of mine was "debating" a Jehovah's Witness. Neither one knew the scriptures, neither one understood the other's position, and both had been indoctrinated.

So they start off disagreeing, and the first point the JW makes, my buddy comes to me and asks about it. So I helped him understand it, and he goes full throttle and stumped the JW, who in turn eent and asked his dad. So he comes back and makes a point that brings my buddy back to me. And on and on.

After 5 or 6 bats of the birdie, I told my buddy I would not answer any more questions, and he needed to give up his efforts before he ended up being converted.

The only difference is that you are up against someone who is capable, and you're not.

I'll say this with all sincerity, John. You need to stop trying to proselytize, before you end up against someone who is able to twist your thinking just right. If you're not careful, you're just liable to be converted to one of these fringe groups or a cult

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sovereign Grace was right about you. You are indeed a [Name calling edited]. For your information sir it is God that grants repentance and faith to His elect. All I do is evangelize whether that would be a street beggar or a pastor of a Unitarian Universalist Church and I trust God to draw His elect to salvation. His elect could be a false apostate, it could be a street beggar, it could be anyone really and I do not know who the elect are!

I would strongly suggest you read John 6:37 & 44.

#49 evangelist6589, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, those who do believe the gospel of Christ yet misunderstand baptism are not in need of evangelism for the same reason churches who would put the lost under the Law are not in need of evangelism. Even their error does not separate them from Christ and their misunderstandings are not mine to correct. Those who reject the gospel for water baptism need to be evangelized. Why do you think I don't share the gospel with them?

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well do you? Mailing tracts is one way to evangelize, but building conversation is better if you have the opportunity.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not categorize the lost (i.e., "Reformed Baptist" lost, "CoC" lost, "SBC" lost, etc.). But yes, I do talk to people and share the gospel message. I am a Christian....that's what we do. ;)

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the pre-evangelism you do with a Unitarian Universalist would be different than with a New Ager as they hold different beliefs. Apologetics is the bait and the Law is the hook. I usually start my letter addressing their arguments and then conclude with the law.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not very good at categorizing people, their beliefs, and what their responses would be. I've found that not all pagans are the same even when they hold to the same systems of belief. So to me the lost is the lost. I talk with them and share the gospel of Jesus Christ with them and try to do so in a way that is meaningful to them. So my "method" is more a conversational (which goes both ways) than a letter would allow. Plus I do not believe in putting people under the Law, so that is not something I would use as "bait".

So to make up for my failings, I just talk to them and tell them of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already know I'm a [Name calling edited], thanks. That doesn't mean I'm wrong.

And God doesn't intentionally use falsehood to counter falsehoods. At the very least, you need biblical training. Not more indoctrination, but scripture.

And I'm only concerned about you, for real. According to your own doctrine, you could potentially become unfruitful or fall away. Those with spurious faith look like genuine converts until That Day reveals the heart.

I'm tring to offer you some words of wisdom. I'd hate to overhear "Lord, Lord, didn't I evangelize in your name? Didn't I street preach? Didn't I hand out enough tracts?"

You need to get fixed firmly on Christ, not some mysterious proposition of election. Then go preach the cross, not the voodoo of you-do.

#55 JamesL, Apr 23, 2016
  16. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using the Law is a false gospel which reduces righteousness to a standard of doing and not doing.

You've heard it said, do not _____, but I tell you if you so much as _____"

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do both conversation and letter so that's why I do street evangelism.

If what you say is true why do they make so many different types of gospel tracts? Because not all pagans are the same. Yes they are all lost in a general sense but there are more details to their lost condition and why different tracts apply to them.

My letters and conversations are worded differently depending on the type of Pagan. For example once I had a conversation with a Pantheist. With her I opened up with the gospel as she embraced all religions.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would I take advice from someone like you? I would not.

#58 evangelist6589, Apr 23, 2016
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I said is true, no doubt at all on that part. To me, the lost are lost and my goal in witnessing is to communicate the gospel to them in a meaningful way. But as to your question of why they make so many types of gospel tracts...I really don't know. To me it seems like the "seeker church" movement. All they need is one tract. One that presents the message of the gospel of Christ. I suspect the reason there is so many types is a lack of faith in the Holy Spirit and in the power of the Gospel. But I don't know for sure.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well different tracts have different focuses and reach different people.

One tract on Hell
    One tract on Heaven
    On tract on the evidence for God
    One tract on the 10 commandments
    Etc...

For the proud I use different arguments than for the humble.

Speaking with an atheist is different than speaking with a Mormon.

My apologetics would be different for the two. Apologetics the bait and the law the hook.