1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Blooper Files

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Gina B, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What was the most embarassing thing you've ever done or said from the pulpit? Did you ever mess up big time or say something untrue, unwittingly?

Our poor pastor today went rushing toward the pulpit right before we were dismissed and fell on his keister. Thankfully he appeared unharmed, and thankfully he has people like me in the congregation to share such happenings with the world. ;)

I would have probably sat there and cried and pouted, after kicking one of the steps. LOL He didn't do either, but got up and still said what he was gonna say. Could this be the REAL reason why women aren't preachers? Hmmm?

Gina

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

TaterTot shared her blooper on the previous, most embarassing moment thread. She's got to share it again! [​IMG]

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

1) My husband had a great blooper during one of his sermons. He was quoting Psalm 119:105 and he accidently said "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my fat."

Needless to say...everybody was cracking up. [​IMG]

2) At my old church, the pastor got up after our Easter Cantata and he was stressing the love we should exhibit to our Lord and he said, "Let's just make love to God." He had no idea he said it and still doesn't know it to this day.

It is however a very popular joke amongst the younger people in the church.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a pulpt pounder, but one day I was really wanting to make a point and I gave the side of the pulpit a bit of a hit - the top part was not seated on the lower part properly and when I hit it the seating took place quite loudly, somewhat akin to a shot, waking everyone up including me :)

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I think my all time favorite was one that a preacher in PA said a number of years ago that still makes me grin.
    Pastor Williams, after a moving sermon and the beginning of an emotional alter call, asked us to stand on our heads with our feet bowed. :D
    Gina

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My worst was talking about where God would have me serve for eternity, since I was a pastor now. "As a street sweeper for all eternity in the New Jerusalem" I said self-depricatingly.

Only problem was my voice cracked when I said "new" and it came out "nude". That was all folks heard; everyone cracked up and couldn't quit laughing (bad vision in their mind). One lady finally clued me in as folks were still guffawing as they walked out the door . .

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Jim1999 has a great one! Hope he'll share.

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

A former pastor walked up and down the stairs on the platform while he preached. He hit a step and the heel of his shoe came off. He went on about his heel coming off. He placed it on the bottom of his shoe and smashed into the carpet, yelling out, "Be Heeled." Not only did it stick to the shoe, everyone busted out laughing. He thought he would do it again since he had gotten such a good response the first time. He said, "Be Heeled..Owwwwww...umph...gasp," as he fell down the steps. Now that was even funnier.

9. amen_corner

amen_corner New Member

My pastor growing up wanted to recognize one of the SS teachers named Snookie...came out Snotty.

A friend tried to use Carla Faye Tucker as an illustration, and got his letters reversed. He didn't believe that he did it, but the audio tape doesn't lie!

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I had a pastor once who was talking about a counselling session he had with a parents and their teen. He was relating that he talked to the teen and the teen said his parents were fussing all the time. But the word relayed via the pulpit was not fussing, but f * * * ing. Gasps were heard throughout the audience, and the pastor didn't even realize he had said it--his dentures were loose (really) and they had slipped.

11. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

When I was a junior pastor the senior pastor was preaching on the cross of Jesus. He meant to say that Jesus lamented the cross, instead he said that Jesus was lamenated on the cross.

Bro Tony

12. Link

Link New Member

I knew an Australian preacher who lived here in Indonesia who would translate for English-speaking preahcers into Indonesian. His Indonesian was excellent, but apparently, there was one important word he did not know.

The word for embarrassed, shy, or ashamed in Indonesian is 'malu.' The Australian was trying to translate the word 'shame' so he put the proper prefix and suffix onto the adjective to turn it into a noun. Little did he know that he said the word for 'private parts' in Indonesian until everyone in the room started laughing. That's a tough way to learn a new word.

I was preaching in Indonesian one time and I tried to say that Jesus taught people to make up. I didn't know the right way to say it, and kept saying a word that meant act like you make up but don't do it sincerely. I repeated this word throughout the message. Later my wife told me about it. One time I tried to say "if anyone is taking notes" but mispronounced the word and said "if anyone is handicapped...." Sorry these bloopers aren't as funny when they are translated into English.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Translation bloopers ARE funny. Thanks for sharing! We had a deaf ministry and I swear some things that went on there were NOT what I was saying in the message.

And the gal translating in sign language, wearing black, turned RED way too many times . .

14. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

We have a missionary friend who went to a foreign country (can't remember if it was Russia or Japan..yeah, I know, the two are so easy to mix up...lol) Anyway, he was told not to tell jokes as American jokes just did not translate over right. Well he got there and thought, "I just have to tell an opening joke. Everybody likes jokes!" So, he told his joke, the translator translated and everyone laughed. It wasn't until much later that he found out what the translator actually said "This man just told a joke, everybody laugh!"

15. Loren B

Loren B New Member

It was my responsibility to lead the High Schoolers in the Pledges and Prayer before chapel. With a thousand other things on my mind, we put our hands over our hearts and I loudly proclaimed,"Dear Lord, we thank you for" before I realized what I was doing.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I was preaching through a series on The Ten Commandments and was pouring over the idea of Sabbath Day Rest

"Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy."--Exodus 20:8

I was showing the folks a verse in Exodus 23:12 that says, "Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine ass may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed."

All I said was, "Folks--the Bible is crystal clear! God intended for them---and He intends for us---to rest our oxen and asses!!"

That was four years ago---and people still ask me---Preacher!! Are you resting well???

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't tell you how many times I have put Moses on the Ark! I forgot my sermon notes one morning, jumped in the truck to go get them, with my mind on other things I ran a red light and got a ticket. Can you believe the only other car on the road was a policeman! Spilled my water glass once.

18. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

The classic blooper is the preacher who instructed the congregation to turn in their Bibles to 2nd Peter while he pulled out his glasses, but he instead accidently switched Peter and glasses.

You do the math.

19. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Hehehehehe. You are bad.

20. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is too funny!