1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The book Eve by Paul Young

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 19, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/eve

This is one heretical of a book read the book review above. Does anyone here read this book and or teach it? Given the amount of false doctrine promoted by some BB members it would not surprise me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it fiction or nonfiction, and have you read it?

Sent from my TARDIS

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why would someone teach a work of fiction?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I was wondering as well, Ann.

If it is fiction (and I assume it is by your response) then that 's a very good point. I'm not familiar with the book, but I know that several have voiced objection to other works of fiction - e.g., Star Wars as the doctrine taught (the "force", the virgin birth of Anakin, etc.) is heresy. I liked the series and always wondered why people considered the the movie as "doctrine" in the first place. (I also like Ted Dekker's books....not for teaching doctrine but for passing time....not that I'll ever read Eve as it doesn't appeal to me).

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is fiction but fiction is an easy way to introduce heresy just as movies are another way to introduce heresy. The book is loaded with heresy I am surprised that you do not see it.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that review is even only partly true, I find myself for the first time considering the possibility of book-burning....

• Like Like x 1
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Big difference between Star Wars and this book! Star Wars is not trying to mimic and teach the Bible. Star Wars is heretical as it teaches Buddhism if you take it literally, but this book mixes truth in with error to teach doctrines of devils so the book Eve is far more dangerous than something simple like Star Wars.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    “The Force is what gives the Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us. It penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi, Episode IV.

Your reply would have merit, perhaps….except for the concept of the “force”, which, BTW, is similar to pagan and heretical ideas of good and evil...always reminded me of Zoroastrianism (Angra Mainyu, Spenta Mainyr, etc.).

And of course there is always that pesky virgin birth issue in episode 1.

Fiction is not theology (although sometimes theology is fiction :)). But I have not read the book, so I can't really reply about Eve (I was just asking for clarification).

I wonder. Is blending paganism with fiction really less dangerous than presenting error as fact? It seems that the fiction creeps into the lives of many quicker than error actually presented as doctrine. You sat, for example, watching paganism acted out for hours in a theater but are astute enough to reject the doctrine "taught" in Eve. That may be another interesting subject to explore. What is the most effective way to offer the poison?

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to read the review of Eve by Challies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not interested in the book. If it takes off and starts influencing people that I know (or I think I may need to warn others of the book) then I will read the book myself and form a detailed response. I don't put much stock in reviews, either good or bad.... (and sometimes those reviews are written by people who have not even read the book....writers of those reviews are not always ethical).

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tim Challies is a great book reviewer and pastor and I really respect his reviews. I've found him to be pretty much spot on with so many of them and he's not overly harsh most of the time unless it really warrants it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Right. He's not going to bother to read the review or even look into it but he's certainly going to nit pick about it with you while in ignorance on the matter. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it the book or the review you enjoyed, IT?

What I was asking Evan was if he had read it and if it was fiction. Stating people shouldn't teach fiction as doctrine is nit picking (although I understand why you would see it that way ).

I simply don't put stock in book reviews evaluating the doctrine of fictional books.

Sent from my TARDIS

#13 JonC, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know that? Can you read his mind? Can you see his heart? Do you have a crystal ball that allows you to see the future? Why not let the man speak for himself. If he presumed to speak for you in that manner, you would have a holy fit! :D

15. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Because, uh, he said it? :)

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP is about the book. I gave in to curiously and read the review. Still not interested in the book. This stands out on the review " Now, obviously Eve is fiction, which means it can be tricky to determine exactly what the author actually means to teach through his story."

Sticking to the OP, I find it odd people willingly choose to teach a fictional book as doctrine (Evan asked if we had read or taught the book).

Sent from my TARDIS

#16 JonC, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you rated my comment "dumb" IT (thank you for not posting a rabbit picture...I know it's the same thing but at least it takes up less room).

What's up....hypocrisy got your tongue? :) Did you also not read or teach the book, yet chose to respond? Or do you take as doctrine such reviews?

• Like Like x 1
  18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange that I am no longer allowed to post pics of rabbits but people can still rate my post and I theirs as "dumb" when in fact they are one in the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, brother.

And I am also confident some will teach doctrine through Eve (they did through The Shack). I'm just saying I have not read the book so I really can't evaluate what is taught.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The author is Paul Young who wrote the "Shack". He is a heretic. I wouldn't use his books to burn if a fire even if I had no wood. However, if he is trying to peddle more junk theology of his veiled by his fiction then out churches need to be warned.

• Like Like x 1