1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Book of Acts

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the post.

1) When you see "you have not chosen Me" the verse is taken out of context, Jesus is referring to His choosing of His disciples. This verse has no application for God choosing individuals for salvation. 2 Thessalonians 2:13 and James 2:5 teach conditional election based on faith.

2) Next you see the claim that putting our faith in Christ is inconsistent with grace, which of course is the opposite of Romans 4:4-5.

OTOH, Acts teaches those who received (accepted and believed) his (Peter's) word were added to the church. But the book of Acts is not the only book that teaches everyone believing into Christ shall have eternal life.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Augustine ended at Neoplatonism.

Augustine being praised for teaching neoplatonism.

To Augustine Nebridius Sends Greeting.

1. Your letters I have great pleasure in keeping as carefully as my own eyes. For they are great, not indeed in length, but in the greatness of the subjects discussed in them, and in the great ability with which the truth in regard to these subjects is demonstrated. They shall bring to my ear the voice of Christ, and the teaching of Plato and of Plotinus.

Augustine praises the Platonists

33. The Platonists, however, who, amidst the errors of false philosophies assailing them at that time on all sides, rather concealed their own doctrine to be searched for than brought it into the light to be vilified, as they had no divine personage to command faith, began to exhibit and unfold the doctrines of Plato after the name of Christ had become widely known to the wondering and troubled kingdoms of this world. Then flourished at Rome the school of Plotinus, which had as scholars many men of great acuteness and ability. But some of them were corrupted by curious inquiries into magic, and others, recognising in the Lord Jesus Christ the impersonation of that essential and immutable Truth and Wisdom which they were endeavouring to reach, passed into His service. Thus the whole supremacy of authority and light of reason for regenerating and reforming the human race has been made to reside in the one saving Name, and in His one Church.

Augustine on the Platonic Ascent.

10. Wherefore, since it is our duty fully to enjoy the truth which lives unchangeably, and since the triune God takes counsel in this truth for the things which He has made, the soul must be purified that it may have power to perceive that light, and to rest in it when it is perceived. And let us look upon this purification as a kind of journey or voyage to our native land. For it is not by change of place that we can come nearer to Him who is in every place, but by the cultivation of pure desires and virtuous habits.

Augustine was a Neoplatonist exemplar.

3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm afraid I don’t buy your argument. Augustine, whether he was a Neoplatonist or not, was a Christian.

Give us a pure Neoplatonist source on election.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,

I believe Augustine is a false teacher. I am not going to defend Augustine!

Is that clear enough?

Your comments don't pertain to me.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Augustine was a false teacher. I understood that was your view too.

The "you" in my post was directed to the reader and not to you.
    Is that clear enough?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure who you are engaging with but it seems like there is some serious trolling going on. Keep fighting the good fight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just see a distinction between "Augustine was a Neoplatonist who brought the Neoplatonist definition of election to his understanding of biblical election" and "Augustine the Neoplatonist developed his understanding of election from studying the Bible."

I am unaware of the pure, pagan Neoplatonists writing on election.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I am in agreement with you. My previous post was about your interlocutors. I am pretty sure I have certain trollers muted. I enjoyed the one-sided soliloquy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism takes the teachings of Paul as regards to Justification and election, was he a false teacher also?

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This post is ignorant and profane. This is a shameful view of scripture and Paul's writings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, do not sweat it. It is a reflection of that poster's character. I was going to request a moderator delete it but it serves a better purpose by parading his shame for all to see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ending of Acts leaves to the imagination what wonderful things God did with Paul's preaching of the kingdom to all who came to visit him. Even in bondage, the Gospel went forth in power and truth. And while Acts ends in Rome, the first epistle of the New Testament is a letter to the church that Paul longed to see. In some respects, it is a prequel to Acts 28.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awesome! Someone else who thinks Calvinists’ interpretation of Romans 9 is ignorant and profane!

Which parts of the comic strip do you do you disagree with?

Go ahead! Gives me details! Or does it just blow all the Calvinist arguments to pieces?

14. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh noes! The shame!

Are you saying that I shouldn’t have pasted a copy on the cover of my Bible?

Or maybe I shouldn’t have made it into a bumper sticker for my car!

You really wouldn’t like the banner I have between my trees in front of my house!

There are some things I’m ashamed of. But that comic strip will never be one of them!

15. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friend, I believe that comic goes a bit further than disagreeing with the Calvinist interpretation of Romans. It appears to assume that the Calvinist interpretation of Romans is correct, and therefore the book of Romans is less than inspired .

16. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A comic opposing the Calvinist interpretation of Romans “appears to assume that the Calvinist interpretation of Romans is correct” . . .

Nuts!

Stick a fork in it. Trump committed treason! Bring out the lethal injection!

The comic strip points out that one has to be deluded to assume the Calvinist interpretation of Romans 9 is the only one possible. And yes, it points out that Calvinists make Paul into a caricature to force their ideas onto Romans 9.

And once again, the reason why no one ever specifies something specific wrong with the comic is that it is an accurate representation of Calvinist beliefs. And that is why Calvinists hate it, I’m bringing their darkness to light.

#56 MartyF, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it points to the Roman audience dismissing the book of Romans and Paul. By all means, if you want to poke fun at an opposing view, have at it. But that comic shows 2 people applying the Calvinist interpretation to Romans and dismissing it all as crazy.

18. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And of course, it was produced from an Open Theism website.

Gross...

19. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

20. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “That comic depicts 2 people dismissing the Calvinist interpretation to Romans as crazy.”

- corrected