1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The book of James (ch. 4 and 5 particularly)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to James 4:5. Yes Spirit is capitalized, but that means the translators thought the verse referred to the Holy Spirit. Other versions do not capitalize it.

"He jealously desires the Spirit which He made to dwell in us." NASB

Some say (including the translators who capitalized Spirit) this means God the Father desires the Holy Spirit. But no scripture has been posted to support this view.

Others say this means God the Father desires our human spirit, and references Ex. 20:5.

HCSB says "Or do you think it's without reason the Scripture says that the Spirit He has caused to live in us yearns jealously? This says the Holy Spirit living in us yearns jealously.

So three very different understandings. The HCSB and the NASB present two very different renderings. One where God is desiring a Spirit (Holy or human) and another where the Holy Spirit is desiring that we do not make ourselves an enemy of God.

What tips the scale for picking one over the other two?

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I may be a little off base on this one, and I am shooting from the hip, so, please forgive me if I am proven wrong. It seems that Paul is addressing both CHRISTians and sinners in James. Here are some examples:

James 5
    1Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.

2Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.

3Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.

4Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.

5Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter.

6Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you.

So here in this passage, it sure doesn't seem that Paul is addressing the church.

This passage here seems to see Paul switch gears and address the church:

From James 5:

7Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

8Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

9Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.

10Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.

In the first six verses it seems that Paul is addressing the rich who have put their riches above their Creator. Now, Paul is telling "my Brethern" how to act towards one another....or that's how it has came across to me.

James 4
    1From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

2Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

3Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

4Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

5Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

None of what I have bolded is characteristic of a CHRISTian, so this is why I believe that this part is being addressed to those who oppose CHRISTianity in that area.

Now, again, Paul seems to switch gears here and is now telling them how they can get in "contact" with their Creator:

6But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. A CHRISTian has already submitted unto God, and it would be a waste of time for Paul to tell them something they have already done, IMHHO.

8Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

9Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

10Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

A true CHRISTian has already done all of this. Unless, Paul is addressing those in the church who were false converts, which could be a possibility. But a true CHRISTian has already done met all of these requirements. Or this is how I see it.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

#22 convicted1, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, a little:smilewinkgrin:
    James wrote James.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Convicted1, your version of James 4:5 seems consistent with the HCSB version. That would tip the scale toward that interpretation, unless it is based on a variant of the Greek. Did the NASB blow it on this verse??

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems the KJV, the NKJV and the HCSB agree to this understanding, "Or are you supposing the scripture is saying for nought, "toward envy is longing the Spirt [Holy Spirit]which dwells in us." Apparently God in the Person of the Holy Spirit is fulling the revelation of Exodus 20:5.

And as a minor point, this seems an example where my favorite version, the NASB missed the message.

God Bless

6. ituttut

ituttut New Member

So good to see one who knows who is talking to us today, and who isn't. The Body of Christ is not fully understood by the "Kingdom is coming" NEXT believers.

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Those looking for the Kingdom is at Hand believers.

We find there is something else available for us after the happening on Damascus Road.

8. beameup

beameup Member

The Scriptures are soooo easy to understand with a couple of "concepts" in mind... like understanding WHO the passage is being addressed to :thumbsup: and where you "fit" into Gods program. :thumbsup:

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

lAmen to that

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [edit]

Bingo. You hit the nail on the head here, scratch the rest. And it's Jewish CHRISTIANS.

#30 kyredneck, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
  11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Remember this, Brother Larry, that we are Jews also, but inwardly. We are part of Israel, but not by blood, but by the Spirit. So, in essence, James is written to the Jews, but there is a broader scope than the Jewish nationality.

IOW, we have become adopted Jews by the blood of Jesus Christ!! Them right there are shoutin' words!!

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I don't think there is any problem in saying that James Addressed his letter Primarily to the Jewish Christians scattered abroad, but he also inserted some things that would warn and teach those Jews who might be fellowshiping with the Christians, but either not chrsitians yet, or possibly have false assurance.

Much like a pastor today might preach a message on Tithing for his Christian congregation, but also put in some Gospel application for non-christians, such as, "Now let's be clear that tithing will not get you into heaven, and if you think you are right with God because you give money to the church, you are basing your salvation on the wrong thing."

...or something like that

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Willis, you're up early (or late?) too.

7 but contrariwise, when they saw that I had been intrusted with the gospel of the uncircumcision, even as Peter with the gospel of the circumcision
    8 (for he that wrought for Peter unto the apostleship of the circumcision wrought for me also unto the Gentiles);
    9 and when they perceived the grace that was given unto me, James and Cephas and John, they who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship, that we should go unto the Gentiles, and they unto the circumcision; Gal 2:7

There was indeed a difference, at that point in time of Jame's writing (prior to the wrath that came upon that generation), between the gospel of the uncircumcision and the gospel of the circumcision. From the very onset a crucial component of the message to 'the Jew first' was:

.........Save yourselves from this crooked generation. Acts 2:40

And:

...it shall be, that every soul that shall not hearken to that prophet, shall be utterly destroyed from among the people. Acts 3:23

The Jewish epistles carry a 'harsher' tone than the Gentile epistles because of the impending wrath that was soon to come upon that generation, with frequent warnings of judgment for those who fell away and returned back to apostate Judaism [Heb 6:4-6; 10:27,29]. Example; the 'kosmos' of James 4:4 is the very same 'kosmos' of Jn 18:20:

Ye adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore would be a friend of the world maketh himself an enemy of God. Js 4:4

Jesus answered him, I have spoken openly to the world; I ever taught in synagogues, and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and in secret spake I nothing. Jn 18:20

#33 kyredneck, Sep 8, 2011
  14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I understand the Jew is justified by faith. We are told the Gentile is justified through faith. In Acts 15 James, Peter, John, and others promised they would not trouble the Gentile that had turned to God.

Also, for understanding, we should take into account what is found in Galatians 2:9 of what occurred in this meeting of those of the Antioch church, and that of the Temple church in Jerusalem. "And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision."

If we will allow, scripture will point out to us TRUTH. Don't know about others, but the two renditions above look to have TWO Clear Messages. The Apostles in Jerusalem tell us they will NOT preach to the Gentile in order to try and save them, and they Will Not trouble the Gentile that is saved to try and become One of Them.

#34 ituttut, Sep 8, 2011