1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Book of Jonah

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I don't believe I'm exaggerating about Jonah's anger and temper problem. I'm just giving you my observations from chapter 4 where the Bible is explicit about what is on Jonah's mind.

• Verse 1 clearly states that Jonah was furious and displeased with God that He had mercy on the Nineveh people.
    • Verse 2 is an "I told you so" to God. Jonah tells God that the whole reason he ran in the opposite direction in the first place is that he knew God would be merciful to them. He did not want them spared. He wanted them destroyed. We see that in Jonah's specific words. “That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity”
    • Verse 3 says Jonah was so furious at the mercy of God towards the people of Nineveh that he told God that he wanted to die. He obeyed God and preached to those people, but his heart wasn't in it.
    • Verse 4 is God asking Jonah if he thinks he has a right to be furious.
    • In verse 5, Jonah doesn't answer God's question, but in stereotypical tantrum form, he spins away, covers up, and sits down and watches the city of Nineveh waiting for God to destroy it. He refuses to accept the fact that God has had mercy on these people and won't even answer God's question.
    • In verse 6, God provides his own covering, very reminiscent to me of a mother who lays a quilt over a child - who is angry because she won't let him have a cookie before lunch - and who is pouting and refusing to talk to her and lying on the bed waiting for her to give in and give him what he wants. He gives her the silent treatment thinking she will give in. Jonah was pleased with the plant just like that little child throwing the emotional tantrum is pleased with his mother when she covers him up thinking she's beginning to cave. She brought him the quilt, next she'll bring him the cookie - so he thinks.
    • But in verse 7, God brings a worm to destroy the plant. It's time for Jonah to get over it, get a grip on who is in charge here, and get up. Just like the mother who now knows its time for her child to get up and she removes the quilt from him - but he, like Jonah stays put and is still pouting.
    • Verse 8 says that God is doing what a good father does. He sends a scorching wind and Jonah almost faints from it, but still will not get up. Sometimes a father has to put a little "scorch" on the behind of a child who is persistently showing a bad attitude and disrespect to the fathers instructions.
    • Verse 9 is where God asked Jonah a question again - "Is it right for you to be angry about the plant?" This time Jonah answers the question, showing he is STILL angry at God and still having an emotional tantrum. The answer to God's question from Jonah is evident of the immaturity he is displaying. Jonah says, "Yes, I'm angry about it [the plant]!! I'm angry enough to DIE!" Really? Jonah is so mad over the plant that he wants to die? :rolleyes: What his is showing is that he is so mad at God for showing mercy to the Nineveh people that he wants to die over it.
    • Verse 10 and 11 is God showing Jonah how foolish his anger is. He tells Jonah that if he [Jonah] has the right to be angry over a plant that he only had for one day, should God be able to have compassion on a people that He created?
    Jonah hates the people of Nineveh enough to throw a tantrum to God about God's decision to save them.

That's an awfully potent hate. We don't see if Jonah had a change of heart - the story is open ended. I used to wonder why God left it that way, but today, I think he wants us to put ourselves in Jonah's place and see that we need to change.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think, Evan, what took me off guard in your response to Scarlett is your background with WOTM and appreciation for John MacArthur. He is not the only one advocating expository preaching, but here I agree 100%. I guess I assumed (sorry) that you were also an advocate of such preaching/teaching. My caution remains…make sure that you are explaining what is actually said in the text and not what you believe may advance your position. I think that there is enough material (valid material) in Jonah about being obedient to your calling to satisfy your goal without reading into the text.

When are you looking at teaching the class on Jonah?

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes he was angry but STOP using language that compares the mighty prophet to a child.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I don't think its possible to completely exegete the entire book in a brief discussion based SS class. So my point was to do a survey of the book. MacArthur has as much time and as many weeks as he pleases to exegete various books. Also MacArthur does not teach Sunday school, he is a preacher there is a difference. I am teaching in a discussion based SS environment that won't handle an hour long lecture so I need to engage and I need to be practical. This church values application and getting practical examples from a survey of the book would be a good idea. But then again if I was PREACHING on the book of Jonah in as many weeks as possible to complete the book, I would need to get deeper commentaries.

So I think we have a misunderstanding on the differences between preaching and Teaching non lecture style.

#24 evangelist6589, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are teaching the book of Jonah in one or two months, then I definitely would not venture in an application towards street ministry. You don’t have the time to blend your own ideas into the text…even if it were appropriate.
    From Scripture, perhaps you could speak of Jonah’s rebellion towards God’s command. Would we really like to see those responsible for the World Trade Center’s destruction repent and become brothers in Christ? Do we really reach out in love with the gospel to our enemies (enemies of Christianity)? These are a couple of examples I could think of…I am sure that if you lose your agenda you could extrapolate more application from the text.

I am not speaking of preaching vs teaching…I am speaking of teaching (whether it is in a pulpit or to one believer willing to listen) the Word of God. Whether is is in the pulpit or in a study group, the Word of God is the focus...I would think that in a study group you would be able to do more than in a sermon - not less.

And, if I might add...this:
    should be directed at God and not Scarlett. Scripture does not present Jonah as a "mighty prophet" but as a rebellious prophet desiring his own will over God's...have you read the entire Book?

#25 JonC, Jul 20, 2014
  6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Jonah rebelled but do not use language that compares him to a child for I disagree with such vernacular.

I doubt the word tempter tantrum was a word to the ancients. Jonah disobeyed God and did not have compassion on the lost.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I may make a suggestion?

You've already read books and commentaries and surveys on the book of Jonah; you've solicited comments and opinions here (and most likely, in other forums); so try something different.

Forget everything you've read or discussed. Try to empty your mind of preconceived ideas. Get in a quiet place, open your bible and read the book of Jonah. Go into it with as open a mind as possible. See what God says to you. Make lots of notes as you read. Use concordances and/or dictionaries as needed--but NOT commentaries or books.

When you've finished all four chapters, THEN compare to your commentaries, what you've read, and what you've discussed here and with others.

Just a suggestion.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not be able to use a study Bible but I do have a NIV reference bible I could use.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually...and now that I think about it some more...between mowing the lawn and picking squash which I hate (both the picking and the fruit)....what are the differences, in your opinion, between preaching and teaching the Word of God. Does Scripture not say the same? Are not preachers and teachers to proclaim the same truth?

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't think the ancients ever acted in childish manners or had literal children who misbehaved?

I compared Jonah to a child because he was acting like one. It helps me every time I read Jonah and have to teach it to other to remind myself and anyone I am teaching that we, too, act that way sometimes and it is sinful.

The Bible is chock FULL of people - men and women - of God who behaved like petulant children - completely oblivious to anything except their own selfish needs. And it got them into trouble.

But guess what - many of them repented. And some of them even got their names in the roll call of the faithful in Hebrews 11.

I didn't associate Jonah with a temper-filled child to make fun of him.

I did so because that's how he was acting and it's how we act with God sometimes.

The great thing about the Bible is that is it a message of how God uses imperfect people. That inspires the rest of us who are imperfect.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Compassion..

Deacon.

Compassion is another major theme. Compassion. God had compassion on the pagans and the lost so he sent Jonah, yes even to people that would skin people, and chop off their heads and other body parts and place them on display, according to one author. Yes God had compassion and so should we. The Good Samaritan had compassion and Jesus encouraged compassion on the lost.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start another thread please.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, here is my scorecard in this thread with 33 prior entries.

Scarlett comes out ahead with four very sound, helpful and insightful comments. #2,11,21 and #31.

Jon backs her up and offers some good reasoning of his own in his posts #16 and 25.

Don succinctly summarizes some sage advice in post number 27.

Evan, take their advice fly with it. I personally like the idea of getting alone with your Bible and reading Jonah. Then after absorbing it, do it again. Pray for wisdom.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do not play favorites nor take sides. If you have been reading my posts, you would have seen that I am listening to Don.

#35 evangelist6589, Jul 20, 2014
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good. I don't know how you read into my remarks negatively.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT a reference bible, NOT a study bible. Just read the book of Jonah. If the only bible you have has italicized comments or notes, or your hand-written notes from previous sermons or studies, ignore them. Use a concordance or dictionary ONLY if you don't understand a word -- but most of the time, you'll understand a word by how it's used.

Just read what God has written there. THEN take what you've read, and use your study bible, reference material, etc. But DON'T take shortcuts and try to do both at the same time.

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only one author? Have you confirmed this via any other authors or research?

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a ESV Compact Bible and a NKJV Compact Bible with just the text alone. Its harder to read the print due to size but it will have to do. I will do this.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry made an error. One other author said the same.